• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FooTank finalized.

- Tank Louis Cartier base
- Platinum case
- Ruby cabochon crown
- 5N rose gold dial with black printed Roman numerals and railroad minute track
- Breguet-style hands in black oxidized steel

View attachment 1773420

Only $33K. Yikes.

The key decisions that I kept going back and forth on were the dial and hands treatment. For the dial, you can achieve a salmon tone either by galvanizing a metal dial into Cartier’s designated “salmon” color or by making the dial out of solid rose gold. I don’t like Cartier’s official salmon color (it’s too yellow) and vintage salmon dials were simply made of rose gold. So, I went the puristic path and chose a rose gold dial.

For the hands, I waffled between blued steel and black oxidized steel. Ultimately, I decided the blue would look too anomalous since the cabochon cannot be sapphire on a platinum watch. Also, black hands puts more emphasis on the color of the dial, which is the real star of the show.

Photoshopping another Cartier watch with a rose gold dial gives some indication of how the colors will look:

View attachment 1773431

Fingers crossed.

I don’t think that’s a bad price considering the platinum case, the rose gold dial and the fact it’s a piece unique. Anyway, I think you did a very nice job.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Just saw that new Yachtmaster with the sapphires on the bezel. I quite like it though I’m not a fan of the diamonds on the lugs and the crown guard.
  • I can’t remember who posted about it earlier today nor can I be arsed to look it up, but I had a look at Rolex’s website and the OPs. So it looks like they did away with the yellow and coral red dials as well as the turquoise dial in 41 mm. So I I have half a mind to call up my AD. tomorrow and tell them their job just got easier since there’s only one OP left on my list and then ask them when I should expect it.
  • I don’t know about anyone else but I have to say this is the worst year of releases I’ve ever seen in the near 10 years that I’ve been watching. I’m quite fine with it though as it allows me to focus on the watches I already was focused on and additionally allows me to further enjoy the watches I’m already fortunate to have.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Downloaded the Timegrapher app, which uses your phone’s microphone to listen to your watch’s beat rate and extrapolates a daily gain or loss estimate. My 5170 comes in at +0.9 seconds per day. Not bad! Glad I didn’t flush $90K down the toilet on a watch that can’t keep time.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Downloaded the Timegrapher app, which uses your phone’s microphone to listen to your watch’s beat rate and extrapolates a daily gain or loss estimate. My 5170 comes in at +0.9 seconds per day. Not bad! Glad I didn’t flush $90K down the toilet on a watch that can’t keep time.

The Daytona also performed extremely well, at +1.7 seconds per day.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the quartz clock in most computers is pretty poor at +/- a few seconds a day. The phone doesn't usually care since it syncs with atomic clock driven carrier time regularly, but it does matter over small intervals. You should run the test properly and compare with the phone result - not sure whether modern phones have improved over older computers where short term accuracy was less important.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New watch-related purchase:

060BFEB5-3B79-42FF-86F5-FDB2B746BF02.jpeg

Only about 30-40 pages in, but really an enjoyable read.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/cell-phone-clock-accuracy.143167/

"
everyone has a phone that used the same calender program, same service, same type of phone, etc. At 8:50 and again at 9:00 every phone will ding to announce 9:00 meeting. There is no 0.01 second syncing of the phones. The time might be exactly the same but the "dings" happens over 30 seconds. Then one phone might be a good minute or more off. (usually mine) There are many times where the dings are within 5 seconds.

I do think you could make a application that is much better than the calendar program. I question if you can get under one second."

an draoi

Reaction score
Funnily enough, what with all these salmon dials leaping about lately, as I was cycling home last night I saw a Lambo Urus with what could only be described as a salmon paint job.

It was feckin' horrible.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the quartz clock in most computers is pretty poor at +/- a few seconds a day. The phone doesn't usually care since it syncs with atomic clock driven carrier time regularly, but it does matter over small intervals. You should run the test properly and compare with the phone result - not sure whether modern phones have improved over older computers where short term accuracy was less important.
The NIST site will tell you how far off your PC clock is.

1648732682975.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct. Deployant would be wrong on a Tank LC anyway.

Why would it be wrong on a Tank LC? Cartier invented the deployant in the 1920s. They have suppled Tank LCs and variety of other watches made in precious metals on deployants for decades. It really has only been in recent years that they stopped supplying them on many precious metal models (I believe to keep costs a bit lower, after all the basic current Tank LC is only $13,500).

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FooTank finalized.

- Tank Louis Cartier base
- Platinum case
- Ruby cabochon crown
- 5N rose gold dial with black printed Roman numerals and railroad minute track
- Breguet-style hands in black oxidized steel

View attachment 1773420

Only $33K. Yikes.

The key decisions that I kept going back and forth on were the dial and hands treatment. For the dial, you can achieve a salmon tone either by galvanizing a metal dial into Cartier’s designated “salmon” color or by making the dial out of solid rose gold. I don’t like Cartier’s official salmon color (it’s too yellow) and vintage salmon dials were simply made of rose gold. So, I went the puristic path and chose a rose gold dial.

For the hands, I waffled between blued steel and black oxidized steel. Ultimately, I decided the blue would look too anomalous since the cabochon cannot be sapphire on a platinum watch. Also, black hands puts more emphasis on the color of the dial, which is the real star of the show.

Photoshopping another Cartier watch with a rose gold dial gives some indication of how the colors will look:

View attachment 1773431

Fingers crossed.

watch looks great, excited to see the final product...I think the tone-on-tone approach (dial/cabochon, and numerals/hands) is a good choice as opposed to having blue in the mix.

did they have an option for the older, less torpedo-y crown or was it only the current set of components? Also, did they give you a break down of what went into the cost (i.e. how much did the platinum add to the total, what was the cost of a rose gold dial, etc?)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The NIST site will tell you how far off your PC clock is.

View attachment 1773721

My PC clock is intrinsically superior to your PC clock. Better hand finishing I suspect.

clock.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads