• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But most importantly, none of the above serve the same sporty/casual function as a Nautilus.
They’re all useless mechanical toys brother, whatever their esthetic or their putative grammar.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicer watch but not something you could trade for a car and a bunch of gasoline in the Balkans or Africa or something like that. I like watches that have worldwide recognized intrinsic value, which pretty much means Rolex and Patek
We've discussed this unlikely scenario in this thread and agreed that you are more likely to be killed and have your watch taken than to negotiate a trade.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They’re all useless mechanical toys brother, whatever their esthetic or their putative grammar.

Functionally obsolete, yes, but each still suits a different aesthetic and social use. The Nautilus is simply a more casual watch. It’s the one you take on vacation when the others are for wearing to work or dinner.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicer watch but not something you could trade for a car and a bunch of gasoline in the Balkans or Africa or something like that. I like watches that have worldwide recognized intrinsic value, which pretty much means Rolex and Patek

less likely to get mugged over it, for the same reason!

can you imagine getting stabbed for a fake rolex

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To put things in further perspective, the steel Naoya Hida with a moonphase module added onto a 7750 ebauche is $24K, while the earlier mentioned white gold Vacheron with an in-house, Geneva Seal movement is $30K at retail.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Functionally obsolete, yes, but each still suits a different aesthetic and social use. The Nautilus is simply a more casual watch. It’s the one you take on vacation when the others are for wearing to work or dinner.
I get where you’re coming from but watch collectors always make me think of this genius bit from Seanbaby:
1622941880608.png

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Especially if it's the blue dial on bracelet ?
Blue dial on bracelet, I think more people would magically come up with the money.
Hey, if you have eBay Bukz, and can stack on some eBay holiday sale, and get a best offer accepted, plus get the Caribbeans involved in a price war...who knows, you might get lucky. :smarmy:

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5726/1A-014 Blue Dial Annual Calendar Moonphase Steel.
Condition: Pre-owned
“Unworn - Complete with Box and Papers, Manual, Hangtag, Leather Wallet”.

Plus, this baby comes with a hangtag. :slayer:
(But, just to be certain, one should really ask for pics of the hangtag....)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What would non-enthusiasts think of your collections of bespoke shoes and Scottish cashmere?
My entire spend on clothes is probably less than any of the Pateks under discussion.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, if you have eBay Bukz, and can stack on some eBay holiday sale, and get a best offer accepted, plus get the Caribbeans involved in a price war...who knows, you might get lucky. :smarmy:

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5726/1A-014 Blue Dial Annual Calendar Moonphase Steel.
Condition: Pre-owned
“Unworn - Complete with Box and Papers, Manual, Hangtag, Leather Wallet”.

Plus, this baby comes with a hangtag. :slayer:
(But, just to be certain, one should really ask for pics of the hangtag....)
Saw this actually. Too rich for my blood

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've discussed this unlikely scenario in this thread and agreed that you are more likely to be killed and have your watch taken than to negotiate a trade.
Nah. Been there-still alive. In Zambia you can safely trade an Explorer 1 for a 200tdi (plus install)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads