• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, can anyone recommend a reliable and honest rolex AD in the bay area. I have only bought my watches (2 atm) via grey sellers because i don't have any history. I am happy to establish that but there are crazy wait lists and no one guarantees me what i want nor gives me a realistic time frame. I understand im preaching to the quire here but any tips would be appreciated.
Shreve are very reputable, but are not going to be able to get you any special hook-up. The reality is that the only way to get the most popular steel Rolex models quickly right now is to pay over MSRP.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shreve are very reputable, but are not going to be able to get you any special hook-up. The reality is that the only way to get the most popular steel Rolex models quickly right now is to pay over MSRP.

been there, tried that.

I have the two ss I want. My 3rd would be a daytona and I am trying to figure out the best way to get on a list for the long term.

I do understand their business and etc, just want to get on a realistic line.

time waits for no one so wasting time waiting isn’t something I want to do either.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I inquired about the Daytona's availability at my local Rolex AD. I was politely told that because I did not have a pre-existing relationship, I could put my name on the list and might have the opportunity to buy the watch sometime in the next decade. It's a nice watch, but not that nice. My advice is to go gray or set your sight on another watch.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I inquired about the Daytona's availability at my local Rolex AD. I was politely told that because I did not have a pre-existing relationship, I could put my name on the list and might have the opportunity to buy the watch sometime in the next decade. It's a nice watch, but not that nice. My advice is to go gray or set your sight on another watch.

My AD (DC metro) was saying they quit taking names for the Sub even. Nobody could get on the list. And this was a watch I already owned so there was no reason to lie. He said to get a sub you’d have to go grey. Can only imagine how much harder to get Daytona.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Rolex availability.. is it even feasible to get a 36mm DJ these days? I've been out of the watch game for close to 15 years at this point, prior to that was very much into it for about a decade. From the outside, all the absurdity of SS Rolex sport watches (now an OP too?) as well as things like the Nautilus and RO (these were very easy to get many years ago and weren't nearly or overly hyped) is it possible to get a plain ol DJ without having an AD relationship and not waiting untold months/years? I'd only be looking to get either a DJ (barring that a GS) as I don't have any nice watches any more at this point but I have no desire in building a collection.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Rolex availability.. is it even feasible to get a 36mm DJ these days? I've been out of the watch game for close to 15 years at this point, prior to that was very much into it for about a decade. From the outside, all the absurdity of SS Rolex sport watches (now an OP too?) as well as things like the Nautilus and RO (these were very easy to get many years ago and weren't nearly or overly hyped) is it possible to get a plain ol DJ without having an AD relationship and not waiting untold months/years? I'd only be looking to get either a DJ (barring that a GS) as I don't have any nice watches any more at this point but I have no desire in building a collection.

Pre-pandemic at least I had multiple ADs tell me they could order me a DJ and it would take 4-6 weeks to deliver. No wait list, just wait time. Not sure how it is now.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

36mm DJ or even 41mm DJ are generally not a problem. If you are near NYC you can generally find a better than expected selection at the Rolex Boutique, Wempe or Tourneau.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I did for the batgirl. I weight the pros and cons of waiting and potentially having to buy something I don’t need. Also I keep seeing people post on the Rolex subreddit that they are getting the watches but it’s a toss up with the AD

My AD (DC metro) was saying they quit taking names for the Sub even. Nobody could get on the list. And this was a watch I already owned so there was no reason to lie. He said to get a sub you’d have to go grey. Can only imagine how much harder to get Daytona.

I mean that’s the plan. I understand I’ll over pay but my time is worth more to me than the wait so I’ll see how it goes. I am not planning to get a daytona right now, probably in next few years so if I am waiting anyways maybe it’s worth it.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DJ shouldn’t be hard, but even with a grey purchase it won’t be marked up too much.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre-pandemic at least I had multiple ADs tell me they could order me a DJ and it would take 4-6 weeks to deliver. No wait list, just wait time. Not sure how it is now.
36mm DJ or even 41mm DJ are generally not a problem. If you are near NYC you can generally find a better than expected selection at the Rolex Boutique, Wempe or Tourneau.
Awesome, thats good to know as I'm hoping to get one either late this year or early next. The 36mm DJ was the only watch I ever regretted selling, so just looking to get another. Thanks!

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Blancpain Leman 100h Ultra thin.

2021_0207_16214100-01.jpeg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with PatekMonger in LA? or heard of any first hand accounts? They seem to have a very large inventory of older Pateks, and include images of the paperwork or boxes where appropriate

The watch I'm on the lookout for has been discontinued for quite some time, so I'll most likely need to purchase it from a on the secondary market and am tryin to come up with a comprehensive list of reliable places to check over the course of hte next year or so rather than resorting to chrono24 or one of the other online market places

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thats good to know as I'm hoping to get one either late this year or early next. The 36mm DJ was the only watch I ever regretted selling, so just looking to get another. Thanks!

For what it’s worth, I think vintage DJ (and day date) provide pretty excellent value.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife wants a two tone (Everose) jubilee 36mm DJ for her milestone birthday next year. I figure I won’t have much issue finding one when the time comes, between the smaller size and the everose two tone, it does not strike me as a watch that is in high demand relatively speaking

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads