• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I have the JLC MUT below. I think its a great dress watch. Not the most exciting watch but the shape of the case and lugs together looks great and the dial has a bit of a sunburst pattern so its not quite as boring as it appears below. The moon phase is not as flat as it appears in pics. My only quibble is that the date is hard to read because the font is so small. I like it enough to consider the perpetual model.

1611932381040.png

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the JLC MUT below. I think its a great dress watch. Not the most exciting watch but the shape of the case and lugs together looks great and the dial has a bit of a sunburst pattern so its not quite as boring as it appears below. The moon phase is not as flat as it appears in pics. My only quibble is that the date is hard to read because the font is so small. I like it enough to consider the perpetual model.

View attachment 1545140
Wanted this for the longest time, but chose a time only dress watch as I didn't want to mess with moonphase and date everytime I wanted to wear it.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I hear you. I love moonphase watches and chronos, even though I never use those functions. I'd like to get one more sports watch (Daytona) and one more dress watch, which I feel should be time only but I still can't get over my love of (unnecessary) complications. I've been leaning towards a ALS 1815 Annual Calendar but I think it is ultimately is too close in appearance to my Zenith Chronomaster El Primero to justify spending 10x what I paid for the Zenith.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good point and perhaps I was too negative; there are quite a few things I like about it (movement, how it flies under the radar, etc.). Just not sure how I feel about the asymmetrical face and if there are other (unappealing) aspects that I missed.

given that, it’s not so much the asymmetrical dial face. There’s just something about it that doesn’t appeal to me. The windows on the dial seem off, either proportionately or their shape, I can’t really put my finger on it. I’m sure the quality is good but at those price points, I want the watch to be aesthetically pleasing.

I own this watch (though I pulled the pic from online)

1038006.png

this also has an asymmetric face and other complications on the dial, but I like it because it seems more proportionate and the windows don’t look like they were cut out as an afterthought.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
given that, it’s not so much the asymmetrical dial face. There’s just something about it that doesn’t appeal to me. The windows on the dial seem off, either proportionately or their shape, I can’t really put my finger on it. I’m sure the quality is good but at those price points, I want the watch to be aesthetically pleasing.

1038006.png

this also has an asymmetric face and other complications on the dial, but I like it because it seems more proportionate and the windows don’t look like they were cut out as an afterthought.

People tend to love asymmetric dials or hate them . Even what people do or don't like in terms of asymmetric dials is really subjective. I really like the version of the Drive you own. However, even liking asymmetric dials -I have two issues with it. The date cutting out the 12 bothers me. To me the 12 is key on a dial with anything other than sticks. The 12 sort of centers the design. Therefore, I wish the date was elsewhere. In addition, the dial may have looked a bit cleaner if it didn't have the outline around the inner part of the dial and subdials, or if the outline was considerably thinner. Those 2 issues keep my from purchasing this model, even though overall I really like it.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the recent talk about the new Zenith, I'm taking a second glance at the 38mm 1969 repro one that came out a few years back. I really like the case size and design.

alpyigit

Reaction score
Considering this JLC (not my pic). I need a date window and like the brand and the movement (but not necessarily the 8 day display). Don’t need a day/night counter and not entirely sure re the asymmetrical face. Thoughts?

View attachment 1545048 .

I owned and subsequently sold both the SS and RG versions of the Master 8 days. Great movement, nice dial layout. But size was a bit too big for my first (42mm). If the size works, highly recommend.

IMG_1575.JPG
fullsizeoutput_3f1c.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If size is an issue, the original poster could consider the JLC Master Hometime, which I believe was 40mm.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally am not a fan of JLC round watches. However, I really like this one a lot. The case size is nice, it sits well on the wrist. The dimensions/porportions of the case, bezel and lugs have a modern feel (some of their old rounded cases seem too dainty to me). In addition, the case, bezel and lugs are simple enough to allow one to wear with a suit or sport coats, or jeans and a nice shirt. The movement is quite handsome and very high quality. As for the dial, I love it. if I can find any fault with the dial, I wish it had arrow shaped markers all around. Or if using Arabic numerals at 3,6,9, and 12, they could have chosen a more interesting font. However, I adore the asymmetric placement of the various subdials and functions. I think it adds a bit of excitement and charm to the watch. With a chronograph or certain types of watches symmetry makes sense or is necessary. However, wth some dials/watches symmetry just creates a very predictable almost boring appearance (kind of like seeing a boxed set of shirt, tie, suspenders/braces, and a handkerchief). I even like the day/night indicator on the one above far more than on the limited edition 8 day Master Antoine in platinum. A relative owns the limited edition, and I love everything about it except its day night indicator, and the Arabic numerals.

Below is the limited edition version, which carried and MSRP of around $28,800 when new, but ADs were selling them for $20K back in the day.
View attachment 1545127

Many thanks for your thoughts Dino – super helpful.

1038006.png

Many thanks for your thoughts – that’s actually very helpful, so good to hear. Your Drive’s not for me, but certainly a great design.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owned and subsequently sold both the SS and RG versions of the Master 8 days. Great movement, nice dial layout. But size was a bit too big for my first (42mm). If the size works, highly recommend.

View attachment 1545279 View attachment 1545278

Many thanks Alpyigit – super helpful to hear that! I also have an IWC 5001, so don’t expect size to be an issue.

If size is an issue, the original poster could consider the JLC Master Hometime, which I believe was 40mm.
Thanks Dino, but given how much I like how the 5001 wears, I hope this won't be an issue.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1038006.png

Really wish they'd make that same watch but with the proportions of the Drive Extra Flat.

Petey

Reaction score
one question: I have a vintage Vacheron and looking for a 18k buckle to match. Can anyone help me with some directions? Thanks in advance

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Understanding that it’s all relative, but how much can you haggle/work down a price at an AD for a watch that isnt super competitive to find (IWC Portofino or JLC MUT)?

I imagine you can probably knock at least 3% off with a cash offer right? Is there a rule of thumb otherwise? I don’t want to be offensive, but I don’t want to put money on the table that I don’t have to either...
Depends on the city you're in - in Hong Kong, a discount (from RRP) of 20-25% is not uncommon for IWC (I have bought both a Mark 18 and a 3777 at that discount level).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads