• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t wear this one often but every time I do I’m reminded how great the dial is.

9A49765B-C3B8-4238-B056-F40BF14E9CA2.jpeg
3DD00103-7002-45BD-A5DB-FBE2131EF6B7.jpeg
6869B71D-B932-466D-907C-8C570E8F9457.jpeg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since someone asked about 2021 purchases, I'm planning on getting a vintage Bvlgari Diagono. Mostly because I'm an idiot, but also because I think they are really cool. I've brought this up a few times now, but its actually happening soon.

I'd also love to get my wife a decent steel, sporty-ish watch she can wear anywhere so she doesnt have to wear her Cartiers all the time. She only likes yellow gold though, so she's not getting ****...

Finally, if the right Speedmaster MK40 or two tone Cartier Santos Galbee XL show up, I could be persuaded. Maybe...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t wear this one often but every time I do I’m reminded how great the dial is.

+1 - lovely dial. You should wear it more!

Since someone asked about 2021 purchases, I'm planning on getting a vintage Bvlgari Diagono. Mostly because I'm an idiot, but also because I think they are really cool. I've brought this up a few times now, but its actually happening soon.

I like the Diagono diver model - I think it's called the Scuba - with the scalloped bezel. I think that the bracelet looks nice, too. It has quite an 80s vibe, but I like it.

However, I don't like the models that say "Bulgari" all around the bezel, as I think that is a bit tacky, even though Genta apparently designed them like that to look like a Roman coin (or so I've read).

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big four-oh is coming up in 2021. Wife wants to get me a special watch to commemorate. Top two in mind:

Patek 5170G (white gold, with Breguet numerals)

View attachment 1526157

Rolex Daytona 116508 (yellow gold, with Paul Newman dial)

View attachment 1526158

The Patek is pricier, at ~$60K for an example in new/unworn condition. The Rolex would be ~$30-35K from an authorized dealer. Each has its complications (ha get it?). In a perfect universe, the Patek would be my top choice. However, it was discontinued a couple years ago, so my only choice is grey market, which means my name won’t be on the certificate. The Rolex should be no problem to get, but will take time to order (many months)—I have a good relationship with my dealer. That said, I already have a steel Daytona (116500) incoming. Would I ditch the steel and replace with the gold? Or keep both?

A gold 15202 would have been in contention, but they are unobtainium unless I want to pay double the retail price, which I refuse to do. $90K for a time-only gold watch without any complications is beyond my comprehension. Also, the people at the AP boutique in NYC are insufferable. I will not buy anything from a company that demands to know my “portfolio” before deigning me worthy of their business.

Also, I would potentially consider a custom Laurent Ferrier: white gold micro-rotor Galet with silver brushed dial and Breguet numerals. However, I have become a bit prejudiced against independents, what with so many suddenly arising over recent years. How many of these guys will be around in a decade? Who is really making whose watches? Don’t want to get stuck betting on the wrong horse.

Lastly, not considering vintage. This must be a “new” watch.

Thoughts, suggestions?
I won’t bury the lede as I own ...
244BF752-B622-401A-927B-EFEE8A8AE75F.jpeg

But even based on your criteria, I think the PP is a better choice.

Your mentioned brand essence. When I think Rolex, I think SS rather than precious metals. When I think PP, I think precious metals rather than SS.

Versatility: You already own a Daytona so ... duh.

And on a personal note, you won’t regret the PP.

Good luck!

montecristo#2

Reaction score
That is definitely one of the best PPs made. Maybe the only Patek I’d take over the equivalent Lange (1815). I’d throw that on a brown croc strap and wear it daily. Well, maybe daily as part of the rotation.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Referring to :foo: ‘s 40th birthday dilemma.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay here's another question. For all the married guys out there, did your spouse get you an engagement/wedding watch? If so, what was it and did you have any input in what she was going to buy?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay here's another question. For all the married guys out there, did your spouse get you an engagement/wedding watch? If so, what was it and did you have any input in what she was going to buy?

My wife offered but I stupidly declined as I wasn’t really into watches at the time. Oh well, live and learn. She never raises a fuss when I buy myself a new one these days so I’ve got that going for me which is nice.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife offered but I stupidly declined as I wasn’t really into watches at the time. Oh well, live and learn. She never raises a fuss when I buy myself a new one these days so I’ve got that going for me which is nice.
Buy yourself a Patek or Lange perpetual calendar chrono. See if she raises a fuss then.

MrCat

Reaction score
Thanks @pmeis Yeah I have been looking at the lug size and trying to determine if its right for my wrist. So you dont have a Nomos any more? May I ask what size wrist you have?
Just seconding the advice to try on the watch if you can. with a fairly flat 6.5 in wrist, i wear a tangente 38 and club campus comfortably, but if i were to do it over, I'd probably look into the classic tangente 35, maybe even 33 since I like the vintage small watch aesthetic and as everyone says, the tangente is all dial and no bezel. Plus the comparatively long lugs.

Delands

Reaction score

My wife got me an engagement watch. It's sort of a tradition to do it in my family.
It was actually an enjoyable process as well. My wife isn't into watches so I gave her a few pointers. We first settled on a budget that she was comfortable with. After that we visited a number of shops together to try on different watches. I already knew I wanted a dress watch that I can wear daily with a suit/sportcoat. In the end, I liked the JLC master control date, the Zenith Elite Captain and an IWC. I then left her the final choice.
I liked the approach as it was still a surprise when I opened the gift as to which watch she had chosen, but on the other hand, I would be sure that I would have liked her choice.
She picked the Zenith and it's been my main "work watch" for the past 7 years.
Picture 1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads