• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the new standard is: "If the Chinese like you, you suck?"

I can see that applying more in foreign policy than horology.

Yes, the brand will lose its originality in the long run though worth buying as investment pieces since there is a greater future market. But feel free to disagree.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the brand will lose its originality in the long run.
Why does this follow? If they have created a larger market than expected by remaining true to some foundational principles, surely this argues for continuing to do so.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The great thing about the linked video is that towards the end he said they'd be releasing a new Lange 1 every month for the next ten months. Now I just need my parents to win the lottery (I don't play) and I can get a few.

A friend of mine purchased a Zeitwerk last year and he loves it. He is also a big fan jumping hour style watches and watches that tell time in unusual ways. He also owns and Urwerk, and jumping hour watches from Cartier, AP, and Gerald Genta. It may not be for everyone but I think the Zeitwerk is a cool watch.

I think it's a cool watch as well. Initially I sort of only liked the striking time variant and didn't appreciate the overall design, but the design alone is something I like. Of course I like most Langes, but do wish a few were a bit smaller.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does this follow? If they have created a larger market than expected by remaining true to some foundational principles, surely this argues for continuing to do so.

But they didn't. Thus even some die hard collectors have moved on to collecting only vintage "uninfluenced" ALS.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a cool watch as well. Initially I sort of only liked the striking time variant and didn't appreciate the overall design, but the design alone is something I like. Of course I like most Langes, but do wish a few were a bit smaller.

Yes, I initially, felt like something was missing if a person didn't get the striking time variant. However, aside from its size, its design is quite handsome and it fits well into my friend's collection of jumping hour watches and watches with other ways of telling time. He has a much bigger wrist than I do so an Urwerk, Hautlence, and this Zeitwerk all fit him quite well. I couldn't wear any of those as I would find them too bulkie.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patek will fetch a very large price. If true, good timing by the Stern family to cash out at the peak, before the inevitable global recession and coming dominance of smartwatches.
Some might argue that Patek, as an apex brand, could survive smartwatch growth. Whatever the current sales price might be though, I think you're right, that there would be more downside valuation risk for current ownership than upside valuation potential over the next decade.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swatch more likely as Richemont already has VC that has very similar offerings and level.
Patek Philippe is a bigger name though. If they got both houses, then they could work all sorts of synergy magic while positioning them to be "rivals". It's certainly been done before (not necessarily in the watch world) for great profit.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patek Philippe is a bigger name though. If they got both houses, then they could work all sorts of synergy magic while positioning them to be "rivals". It's certainly been done before (not necessarily in the watch world) for great profit.

Well they'll crown Patek and all VC's releases would be anything unrelated to Patek's.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... Richemont or Swatch Group? Should we take bets on this?
If indeed PP were to come to the market, neither of those groups would be ideal. And I doubt the Sterns would sell to them or the Kering group, they’d exploit and destroy the brand in a couple of years!
Chanel would be a welcome player, another private company with the pockets necessary and more importantly the restraint.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tiffany’s, Rolex, or Chanel. Outside shot would be Hermès. I just don’t see the Stern family selling to Swatch, Richemont, LVMH, or Kering.

WSW

Reaction score
Some might argue that Patek, as an apex brand, could survive smartwatch growth. Whatever the current sales price might be though, I think you're right, that there would be more downside valuation risk for current ownership than upside valuation potential over the next decade.

Another rumor going around is that this sale is actually being motivated by Thierry's not yet announced divorce. That could bode ill for the future of the brand since he may have to prioritize $ and a quick transaction over careful consideration of who would be best suited to continue the Patek legacy. Plus court involvement as well. Better buy up all the already stratospherically priced 5711s!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mercydcom