• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the big deal about original box and papers? i get it if you want to resell to ensure highest value getting your money back... but if you don't plan to sell, is it better for insurance purposes in case it's stolen?
It has no effect on insurance. You generally provide the insurance company with a receipt or appraisal in order to set what the amount is that you would receive if it is stolen.

I will just say, box and papers, are not merely about maximizing resale. It also makes what I will call quasi-vintage high end watches much easy to sell and they more appealing to very particular serious collectors. I think most people figure if a watch is 40 years old or older it's harder to expect the watch to have box and papers. However, if a watch is say 25 years old or newer, many collectors insist on a watch having box and papers. I was listening to a podcast and one guest was from a top auction house was saying, there are some brands and watches he would never purchase without box and papers because some of them are nearly unsellable without box and papers because that's something that has become very important to a large percentage of their clients.

I'm not saying that applies to the average watch under 20K. I think if its a well known brand in that price range there will always be a buyers regardless of box and papers. Furthermore, if one is buying a watch with box and papers, one has to do a little homework to find out what the correct box is for a watch. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen watches listed for sale even from respected pre-owned dealers with the wrong Rolex box. It may be a real Rolex box but it's often a box that was sold with a more modern piece, and and that box didn't exist at the time the watch it is paired with was being made).

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Considering what a empty Rolex box goes for on Ebay I'd say you're dumb to just get rid of it.
Now yes, but was not the same twenty (and more) years ago. A lot of people didn’t care.
There was until very recently an old Submariner at a very nice price from Watchfinder (but displayed in a Parisian shop where they have a desk, so I could try it) because it was without box and papers.

I think it is this one

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ll be a dissenting voice in saying this is terrible for AP. I’m sure finishing/quality is all great but this is a watch design that should have Seiko (and I love Seiko) or some micro brand name on the dial. What is the bezel doing?? And those Arabic’s :oops:
Don’t understand what this watch is supposed to be.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll be a dissenting voice in saying this is terrible for AP. I’m sure finishing/quality is all great but this is a watch design that should have Seiko (and I love Seiko) or some micro brand name on the dial. What is the bezel doing?? And those Arabic’s :oops:
Don’t understand what this watch is supposed to be.
Have you ever tried one on in person? In pix I thought it was just blah. While I'm not sure I'd ever buy a Code, I have to admit photos do not do justice to the watch. It wasn't until I saw one in person that I was really able to appreciate it the design. I think the case and lugs are really interesting, but you can't tell from that photo. IMHO the versions with complications are more attractive as I find the time only dials are missing something.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering what a empty Rolex box goes for on Ebay I'd say you're dumb to just get rid of it.
Well, it wasn't always like that. Plus friends in some European countries said, it was considered in poor taste or flashy to walk of of a watch/jewelery store with a shopping bag, so years ago they said lots of people bought the watch new, wore it out of the store and left the boxes at the AD.

I do recall walking into EWC and seeing a vintage Submariner from the late 50s or early 60s, and it had the original box and papers. They said the original box added about 10K to the value of that piece.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me Trashmael. The AP Code 11.59 is really, really cool. I think it is a great platform that AP has not completely figured out (with the exception of the hyper complications).

Code-11.59-by-Audemars-Piguet-Selfwinding-Flying-Tourbillon-Onyx-Dial-Black-Ceramic-26396NB-Hands-On-9.jpg

The lugs - cool. Strap - cool. Size - just about perfect. Crystal - pretty darn amazing. On the wrist, I enjoyed the platform better than everything else I tried other than the jumbo.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to order a replacement strap for the twelve o'clock side because the watch was fitting way too loose on the wrist. Glad my watchmaker performed yet another successful oysterflexoplasty.
IMG_7119.jpeg

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me Trashmael. The AP Code 11.59 is really, really cool. I think it is a great platform that AP has not completely figured out (with the exception of the hyper complications).

Code-11.59-by-Audemars-Piguet-Selfwinding-Flying-Tourbillon-Onyx-Dial-Black-Ceramic-26396NB-Hands-On-9.jpg

The lugs - cool. Strap - cool. Size - just about perfect. Crystal - pretty darn amazing. On the wrist, I enjoyed the platform better than everything else I tried other than the jumbo.
This ain't bad, honestly.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want something really fancy and nice then spend some big bucks at Goyard and get a box with a crooked pattern.

If you want something simpler, just go to Amazon. Tons of options from under $50 and even a few over $100.

You sure I shouldn't be going to my local LV to pick up a $7000 watch box?

Jokes aside, LV makes a good box. I love mine. Built like a tank. And pattern matching is perfect on every example I’ve seen.

Shame on Goyard. They tried justifying the mismatched patterns because “handmade” and “complicated angles”. I countered: “But it’s a box?” Crickets.

what's the big deal about original box and papers? i get it if you want to resell to ensure highest value getting your money back... but if you don't plan to sell, is it better for insurance purposes in case it's stolen?

It’s a nice time capsule. One of the most exciting moments of experiencing a watch is when you first open the box. All the papers and odd bits are part of that. I have the boxes and papers for my Tag Heuer from high school (25+ years old). A lot of fun to be able to touch and feel everything as it originally was and relive the magic.

Yuck. For someone who has repeatedly lamented what you perceive as Patek going “downward”, I don’t understand how this gets a pass. Have you seen how thick it is? There is zero functional reason for the complexity and size of the case design. It just makes for a fat f*cking watch. Plus, there is zero trace of any AP heritage—other than the octagonal center case, which is tenuous at best.

Without the AP logo, I would have assumed the Code watches were made by a low/mid-tier independent aimed at the Russian market for half the price.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads