• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This feels like an incredibly niche article from The Onion:

As I was exploring the new AM Garden lounge in DOH, walked past the LV "lounge" which is probably the ultimate in such things. You can't enter AM Garden unless you're flying full fare business or first so you already are dealing with a filter on eligible customers. Then take your normal centre-of-big-city hip cafe, mix a few global cities, multiply prices by three, and you have the menu. For example a single date (yes, the fruit) is $11. This is somewhat bewildering as lounge dining is actually really good, probably one of the few places airside in any airport where you can get a high quality fillet cooked black and blue on order, the champagne whilst not the vintage wonders of the onboard list is still quite decent, and it's of course all free and in bigger and less crowded spaces.

Anyway, the place has had customers every time I've walked past it this year.

Amazingly, the AM gym still hasn't opened, according to the QR FlyerTalk thread (my last flight was a few months ago). But you can get ripped off by LV since day 1. Priorities...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very traditional French jewelry brand that also made watches (not sure they still do). I don’t know much about the actual movements (if there are any), but they used to have their own and also used some from Piaget and other brands. Their watches are more like jewelry imho.

Edit: just red the article and there is a mistake, they say Boucheron didn’t facture their own movements, but they did - or had some made under their own name. I recently took my mother’s one to see if it could be repaired, the Watch was opened and has a movement with « Boucheron » written on it.
My late uncle had one, all black carrée, that was a thing of beauty but that was stolen or lost (funnily I was talking of this watch that I remember well with his daughter a couple weeks ago).
All superior to their Cartier/Vacheron counterparts IMO:

L1480629.jpg

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't know the brand, but the designs in the piece look really interesting and sophisticated.
Boucheron is not known to you!!! WOW. Of the Great traditional jewellery houses Boucheron falls into the top 10.
Whether stylistically or not, that is always subjective.

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very traditional French jewelry brand that also made watches (not sure they still do). I don’t know much about the actual movements (if there are any), but they used to have their own and also used some from Piaget and other brands. Their watches are more like jewelry imho.

Edit: just red the article and there is a mistake, they say Boucheron didn’t facture their own movements, but they did - or had some made under their own name. I recently took my mother’s one to see if it could be repaired, the Watch was opened and has a movement with « Boucheron » written on it.
My late uncle had one, all black carrée, that was a thing of beauty but that was stolen or lost (funnily I was talking of this watch that I remember well with his daughter a couple weeks ago).
Could be argued Mellerio is traditional… :)

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
After an almost five year wait, here it is. In my opinion the finest English wristwatch ever made - and for those of you crying "What about Roger Smith?" I must remind you that the Isle of Man is not England.

Attachments

• IMG_8782.jpg
    IMG_8782.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8781.jpg
    IMG_8781.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 125

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All superior to their Cartier/Vacheron counterparts IMO:

L1480629.jpg
I like those piece in the photo, but I'm not sure I'd say superior to VC or Cartier. Back when those were probably produced, VC and Cartier had some really beautiful and creative designs.
Boucheron is not known to you!!! WOW. Of the Great traditional jewellery houses Boucheron falls into the top 10.
Whether stylistically or not, that is always subjective.

I don't know where the OP is located, but at least in the US, they have little to no presence and are largely forgotten, with the exception of their fragrances that can be purchased at a bunch of department stores. They don't even have a boutique in the the US or Canada. Their watches and jewelry are only sold through 6 retail stores consisting of a few Saks and Neimans locations. Sadly, it looks like they only make one watch that is unisex, and only one size that isn't a quartz.

I know of the brand, and they make nice pieces, but again because of their lack of presence I don't even think of them when I think big names in jewelry or diamonds. I generally think Van Cleef & Arpels, Cartier, Bvlgari, Harry Winston, Graff, Tiffany & Co.
After an almost five year wait, here it is. In my opinion the finest English wristwatch ever made - and for those of you crying "What about Roger Smith?" I must remind you that the Isle of Man is not England.
Congrats! I'm not familiar with the brand. Overall, it is quite handsome. I really like the case, lugs, and the hands. The dial feels a bit busy with what remind me of "Royal Warrants." Perhaps I'm just used to a dress watches having a minimal amount of writing/images on the dial. 🤷‍♂️

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure what is more insane. The five year wait or that you think Manks would want to be considered part of England.

Is that an enamel dial? I am a sucker for simple dials so I find it very appealing, the seals I could do without, maybe the case back would be a more appropriate place. Any movement pics ?

Last edited:

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
Not sure what is more insane. The five year wait or that you think Manks would want to be considered part of England.

Is that an enamel dial? I am a sucker for simple dials so I find it very appealing, the seals I could do without, maybe the case back would be a more appropriate place. Any movement pics ?
IMG_8759.jpeg

Here’s a detailed account of the watch.

symphvaria

Reaction score
Screwdown crown on my old 5 digit Datejust is refusing to cooperate. Any tips or is the thing going to have to go to my local Bucherer?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ceramic:

"Though the dial appears to be enamel (which is melted glass powder), it is actually ceramic, specifically a type of zirconium dioxide. While traditional dial materials like enamel and porcelain are fragile and often develop cracks over time, ceramic is much more durable. The dial should look exactly the same even after decades.

The fresh ceramic disc is too thick for a dial, so it has to be lapped to reduce it to the required thickness, and then given a fine surface that is almost glassy smooth. A dial is actually made up of two ceramic discs stacked on one another, which is why the seconds sub-dial sits in a recess with bevelled edges."

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ceramic:

"Though the dial appears to be enamel (which is melted glass powder), it is actually ceramic, specifically a type of zirconium dioxide. While traditional dial materials like enamel and porcelain are fragile and often develop cracks over time, ceramic is much more durable. The dial should look exactly the same even after decades.

The fresh ceramic disc is too thick for a dial, so it has to be lapped to reduce it to the required thickness, and then given a fine surface that is almost glassy smooth. A dial is actually made up of two ceramic discs stacked on one another, which is why the seconds sub-dial sits in a recess with bevelled edges."

the numerals are amazing on the double-ceramic dial , love the translucent shadow

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
the numerals are amazing on the double-ceramic dial , love the translucent shadow
The dial is constructed in the same way old enamel pocket watch dials were - there is a substantial hole drilled in the dial, at the 6 position and then the subsidiary seconds dial is fitted from the rear, at a slightly lower height than the main dial.

IMG_8757.jpeg

The most impressive thing about the dial is the text, it isn’t printed like a normal dial, rather the text, cyphers and railway minute track are applied via physical vapour deposition. This enables lines as fine as a few microns to be perfectly applied to the dial.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmileFile