• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
One warning is that the 6R35 movement has to be managed because it can become erratic when the power reserve is lower due to the lower beat rate. It doesn't bother me because I know how to manage the movement and typically only wear my Seiko's one day at a time due to my rotation. It's 20 winds when setting the watch and you're fine as long as you're wearing the watch consistently. If it's going to sit for a day or two, you may have to find a specific position (e.g. dial down or crown up) to leave it while sitting. Yesterday's Seiko ran +5 and this Shogun typically runs about the same since I had it serviced last.

It's one of the quirks of wearing Seiko and drives some people crazy if they prefer a more traditional Swiss movement. If this would bug you, save your money and purchase something else.
The 6r35 is on the new version?
I know the 6r15 works well, @Lupin 3 has one on his Seiko and seems pretty happy with it. If I can find the same model as yours (not that easy now if you want it new) I will get this one.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when are you going to introduce him to SF to the rest of us?
I think he's trying to make a friend, not an enemy.
@Texasmade I think Naked Yoga summed it up quite well :rotflmao: Besides, I think some of the more heated conversations here might qualify as form of hand to hand combat. I have to be sure he is well trained in MMA, Boxing, Krav Maga, fencing, and a duel with pistols at 20 paces, before I suggest he visits us here!
No snark when I say I can't understand affection for GS.
:fistbump: Yeah, I don't get it either!
Seiko is trying to create a tier between their entry level mechanical and Grand Seiko. It's really hit and miss with the pricing on some of these. There are some good Prospex dive watches in the $900 - $1,200 range that I like (SPB 143, MM200 Reduced), one or two in the $1,500 range that I would pick up heavily discounted (the new GMT), but I have yet to see anything priced in the $1,700 - $3,000 range (Prospex, Presage or King Seiko) that makes sense as something to consider.

I thought I read somewhere that the recent King Seiko line was a bust for Seiko, in part because of all the vintage King Seiko's in the market that were better values.
I certainly understand what they are trying to do. For the right price, I'm one of the first people tpo say they make a great watch! Once they cross that $1,000 mark...they lose me as a possible customer or as someone who would recommend their watches.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 6r35 is on the new version?
I know the 6r15 works well, @Lupin 3 has one on his Seiko and seems pretty happy with it. If I can find the same model as yours (not that easy now if you want it new) I will get this one.
The 6R35 is the new 72 hour power reserve version of the 6R15. The 6R15 suffers from the same issue. The movement generally doesn't bother people that know how to manage it.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Texasmade I think summed it up quite well :rotflmao: Besides, I think some of the more heated conversations here might qualify as form of hand to hand combat. I have to be sure he is well trained in MMA, Boxing, Krav Maga, fencing, and a duel with pistols at 20 paces, before I suggest he visits us here!

:fistbump: Yeah, I don't get it either!

I certainly understand what they are trying to do. For the right price, I'm one of the first people tpo say they make a great watch! Once they cross that $1,000 mark...they lose me as a possible customer or as someone who would recommend their watches.
Totally agree, that’s why I will try to get the ancient Shogun model, under that $1000 mark…

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides, I think some of the more heated conversations here might qualify as form of hand to hand combat.
More like slap fighting. :slapfight:

Anyway, anyone able to ID the watch Rory McIlroy was wearing after he won the Scottish Open today? He is an Omega brand ambassador, but I've only ever noticed him wearing either an Aqua Terra or the Rory McIlroy special edition Speedmaster that was gold with some weird star shaped subdials.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyway, anyone able to ID the watch Rory McIlroy was wearing after he won the Scottish Open today? He is an Omega brand ambassador, but I've only ever noticed him wearing either an Aqua Terra or the Rory McIlroy special edition Speedmaster that was gold with some weird star shaped subdials.

Variant of this maybe?

That was a great birdie-birdie finish. I felt bad for the Scottish underdog guy though.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Variant of this maybe?

That was a great birdie-birdie finish. I felt bad for the Scottish underdog guy though.

I would love this one, if it wasn't for those odd stars in the counters.

Screenshot (556).png

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Variant of this maybe?

Yeah, maybe. That's the other one I referenced in my original post. Different color face and on leather.

Agreed on the finish. When he switched clubs on his approach shot on 18 and hit that little low bullet through the wind... 👌🏻

But MacIntyre's shot before that on 18 to get him in position as (temporary) clubhouse leader was even better. Sucks that he hit what he says is probably the best shot of his entire career only to be upstaged by Rory. Even Immelman said he thought it was the best shot he'd ever seen.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the first person to suggest to friends if they are looking for a watch that's under $1000, look at a Seiko. Once a Seiko crosses that line...nope. I know there are folks who love the GS...even those, I've seen them, tried them on, and still no.
Well, the thing is GS can sort of be justified from physical point of view. A Seiko 5 is -20/+40spd (60 seconds range). A GS is -1/+8 (9 seconds range). But a King Seiko is -15/+25 which is only 1/3 less than the Seiko 5, and still well within the realm of budget movements. That's not even looking at things like proportions which are again very similar to Seiko 5 or what is offered by the Chinese brands for a fraction of the price. That leaves nostalgia?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh this is my favorite!

OK so, a bit of zooming and enhancement led me here:
Screenshot_20230716_202737_Instagram.jpg

Which revealed a roman numeral'd dial with small markers at 9 & 3, two symmetrical registers, a logo that has an icon and a name underneath, 3 lines of additional text, a closely cropped or somewhat integrated leather band, stick chrono pushers, and no crown guard.

Definitely not a speedy, and after some research, not a Breitling as well.

Closest match I could find is this current De Ville:

1029983357.jpg

His does look like it could be gold or it could just be the white balance/warmth of the photo.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh this is my favorite!

OK so, a bit of zooming and enhancement led me here:
View attachment 1992111

Which revealed a roman numeral'd dial with small markers at 9 & 3, two symmetrical registers, a logo that has an icon and a name underneath, 3 lines of additional text, a closely cropped or somewhat integrated leather band, stick chrono pushers, and no crown guard.

Definitely not a speedy, and after some research, not a Breitling as well.

Closest match I could find is this current De Ville:

View attachment 1992113

His does look like it could be gold or it could just be the white balance/warmth of the photo.
Excellent work.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear all the watches!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance