• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price of the new King Seiko... who is buying these things? At this rate the S5s will exceed a DateJust in a decade or two.
I'm the first person to suggest to friends if they are looking for a watch that's under $1000, look at a Seiko. Once a Seiko crosses that line...nope. I know there are folks who love the GS...even those, I've seen them, tried them on, and still no.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I had a very nice and unexpected encounter with another watch guy.

I was running some errands and spotted a pair of Porsches parked together. So like any Porsche fanatic, I stopped to look and take some pix of the cars. Just then a guy in another Porsche yelled out, hey want me to move my car over there so you can have 3 in your pix? I said sure, and he moved his car in line with the other two. We started chatting cars, and car experiences and I noticed his Omega. So then I mentioned his watch and we started chatting watches. Now he's been added to my local cars & coffee email reminder list, and is going to try to meet up with me and a few friends when we do our next watch store crawl and lunch.

My "Bling-Master" ;) with his Speedmaster

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I had a very nice and unexpected encounter with another watch guy.

I was running some errands and spotted a pair of Porsches parked together. So like any Porsche fanatic, I stopped to look and take some pix of the cars. Just then a guy in another Porsche yelled out, hey want me to move my car over there so you can have 3 in your pix? I said sure, and he moved his car in line with the other two. We started chatting cars, and car experiences and I noticed his Omega. So then I mentioned his watch and we started chatting watches. Now he's been added to my local cars & coffee email reminder list, and is going to try to meet up with me and a few friends when we do our next watch store crawl and lunch.

My "Bling-Master" ;) with his Speedmaster

So when are you going to introduce him to SF to the rest of us?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the first person to suggest to friends if they are looking for a watch that's under $1000, look at a Seiko. Once a Seiko crosses that line...nope. I know there are folks who love the GS...even those, I've seen them, tried them on, and still no.
No snark when I say I can't understand affection for GS.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price of the new King Seiko... who is buying these things? At this rate the S5s will exceed a DateJust in a decade or two.

Seiko is trying to create a tier between their entry level mechanical and Grand Seiko. It's really hit and miss with the pricing on some of these. There are some good Prospex dive watches in the $900 - $1,200 range that I like (SPB 143, MM200 Reduced), one or two in the $1,500 range that I would pick up heavily discounted (the new GMT), but I have yet to see anything priced in the $1,700 - $3,000 range (Prospex, Presage or King Seiko) that makes sense as something to consider.

I thought I read somewhere that the recent King Seiko line was a bust for Seiko, in part because of all the vintage King Seiko's in the market that were better values.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Recently tried the Titanium SBDC129 (« Shogun ») that I rather like. (Around 1500$)

IMG_5762.jpeg

I also like the previous Shogun SBDC029 that you can find in Japan under 1000$
IMG_5717.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25 miles cycling in the rain. Nothing beats a dive watch. Luckily it’s so hot you can eat outside while soaking wet and not shiver. IMG_6783.jpeg

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the Titanium case (and bracelet) that gives it a real identity.
What I like with the new version is that it looks less like a Sub, but I like a lot your version too. Might get one.
I don't really consider it a Sub homage in light of the fact that Seiko was making dive watches in the 60's as well and the Shogun is somewhat consistent with the Seiko DNA from that era, except for the 3:00 crown and crown guards. I do wish it had the 4:00 crown like the Marine Master, Turtle and other historic versions for the reason you mentioned. And, if we're making wishes, I prefer the MM300 hands as well.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I don't really consider it a Sub homage in light of the fact that Seiko was making dive watches in the 60's as well and the Shogun is somewhat consistent with the Seiko DNA from that era, except for the 3:00 crown and crown guards. I do wish it had the 4:00 crown like the Marine Master, Turtle and other historic versions for the reason you mentioned. And, if we're making wishes, I prefer the MM300 hands as well.
I prefer the hands on the new version. The magnifier is pretty cool too. And the sapphire. I don’t really mind the new caliber, as the 6r15 is pretty good. But all in all, I find more elegant the previous one.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the hands on the new version. The magnifier is pretty cool too. And the sapphire. I don’t really mind the new caliber, as the 6r15 is pretty good. But all in all, I find more elegant the previous one.
One warning is that the 6R35 movement has to be managed because it can become erratic when the power reserve is lower due to the lower beat rate. It doesn't bother me because I know how to manage the movement and typically only wear my Seiko's one day at a time due to my rotation. It's 20 winds when setting the watch and you're fine as long as you're wearing the watch consistently. If it's going to sit for a day or two, you may have to find a specific position (e.g. dial down or crown up) to leave it while sitting. Yesterday's Seiko ran +5 and this Shogun typically runs about the same since I had it serviced last.

It's one of the quirks of wearing Seiko and drives some people crazy if they prefer a more traditional Swiss movement. If this would bug you, save your money and purchase something else.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HydroRanger