• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@dcg Bestest ever. But I would say that.
Best bestest ever (but I would say that) ;) And a look at my wedding ring, a simple 14K white gold band, but this is the first time it's left my finger in 10 years...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely intrigued by rounded off shape that Dino has. I've never had a chance to try something like that. When/if I replace my ring it will be done with platinum to match my wife's ring.
The company that makes mine is Furrer-Jacot. I find the rounded square shape very comfortable.

For Rolex fans, they used to make a sort of flexible oyster bracelet style of ring. However, I am not sure they still make it.
18732513.jpg
18732753.jpg
18733029.jpg

Zipster1

Reaction score

The company that makes mine is Furrer-Jacot.  I find the rounded square shape very comfortable.  

For Rolex fans, they used to make a sort of flexible oyster bracelet style of ring.  However, I am not sure they still make it.  
18732513.jpg
18732753.jpg
18733029.jpg

You mean Furrer Jacot used to make this or Rolex?

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best bestest ever (but I would say that) ;)

And a look at my wedding ring, a simple 14K white gold band, but this is the first time it's left my finger in 10 years...

That Tudor got thing right . would you mind posting a wrist shot.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That Tudor got thing right . would you mind posting a wrist shot.

Sure, but it probably looks about the same as the others I've taken of it, but here's how it looks today :)

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just came across this and thought I'd share as it's a good deal, but Jomashop has this Reverso for more than 50% off msrp:

http://www.jomashop.com/jaeger-lecoultre-watch-q2782520.html

Apparently it's only for 72 hours. Note it will certainly be box without papers and if you return it I think at that price there's a restocking fee. Anyway, thought it looks a good deal on a nice piece.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I mentioned earlier I am looking for a bracelet watch for my wife and many small women's watches by VC, Cartier etc are quartz. My wife would be very happy with a quartz watch but I worry that those older than a certain date may be difficult to get repaired/serviced whereas a mechanical one will always be able to be fixed. Am I right or wrong.

I bought my wife a Quartz Roadster with a leather and bracelet band. Wife doesn't wear every day and doesn't understand my "winder" and I promise you a Quartz watch will be more reliable, less costly, and more accurate than any mechanical watch. The last two services for my Panerai and IWC were almost $1,200 combined; versus $100/5 years for a service/battery at Cartier for my wife's watch,

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean Furrer Jacot used to make this or Rolex?
I meant those Rolex style rings were made by Furrer-Jacot. However, I don't think they make them any more. Most likely a letter from Rolex's legal department put an end to the production of the oyster bracelet style rings.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought my wife a Quartz Roadster with a leather and bracelet band. Wife doesn't wear every day and doesn't understand my "winder" and I promise you a Quartz watch will be more reliable, less costly, and more accurate than any mechanical watch. The last two services for my Panerai and IWC were almost $1,200 combined; versus $100/5 years for a service/battery at Cartier for my wife's watch,

I need to be more vigilant about my girlfriend's watches. She has two quartz Tanks, one francaise and a gold Solo. I had her Francaise sent in to Cartier to get a full service done because a battery replacement wouldn't get it to start again. Just looked up the service cost, $495 including shipping. Mind you she's had this watch for practically a decade or more and hasn't gotten it serviced, so perhaps that had something to do with it, but I was expecting a number closer to $200 for that.

Now the $600 for my Seamaster's servicing I pretty much expected. But $500 for servicing a quartz tank seemed a bit much to me, though admittedly I don't know exactly what all it needed done.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Starting to give some thought to what will eventually be the next watch purchase, and I'm interested in opinions and suggestions. Current rotation:

I've historically just bought what I liked without giving too much weight to how it fits within the collection. This has left me heavy on the sports side, with nothing really approaching a dress watch. I wouldn't get enough wear out of a "pure" dress watch to justify spending a great deal of money on one, but something like a 36mm Datejust would be very versatile for me and cover 99% of my needs (I'm leaning toward fluted bezel, grey dial, sticks, and am waffling between jubilee and oyster bracelet).

The other main contender is finding a Pepsi GMT, which is really just me falling into my old trap of not venturing too far outside of sports models, but the damn things are just so sexy. Was initially looking at a 16710, but the 16750 has been gaining ground lately.

I plan on getting a true leather strap dress watch at some point years down the road... probably a Reverso. For now, I can tell you I have a smooth beze/oyster band/silver dial w/stick markers DJ (36mm) and I love it, more than covers the few times a year I wear a suit. Even sans fluted bezel/jubilee, it dresses up very well, and IMO is more versatile with the oyster band.

You have a very nice collection IMO and I think a DJ fits perfectly.

I love the Pespi GMT, but I love the modern advancements to the bracelet/movement/bezel/etc more. If Rolex made a modern Pepsi in SS it would be a grail, but that is almost certainly never going to happen (and I personally hate the Coke bezel), so no Pepsi for me. I own 2 modern Rolex and every time I try one of the older models on, they do little for me.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@dcg how about a vintage explorer? looks great on different straps or bracelet and can be dressed up or down
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd considered an Explorer 1, but hadn't looked at vintage - will have to do some research there. I gravitated more to the DJ to get away from black dials and, while both are extremely versatile, I liked that the DJ leaned a bit more to the dressy side.
@dcg Bestest ever. But I would say that.
116000, right? It's a beauty! I like the lack of cyclops and brushed bracelet vs the 116234 (and it doesn't hurt that it's a few bucks cheaper). I like the dial and the fluted bezel on the 116234. Need to look at these two side by side in the metal. This is the version of the DJ that would be the front runner for me at the moment:
@dcg you don't find the Monster on strap to be dressy enough? :happy: Kidding, of course. You've got a great collection already ... and the thing that they all have in common is that YOU love them, each and every one--which is all that matters. So my advice would be to go with your heart, and get that Pepsi GMT that you seem to be longing for. I very much doubt that you would regret that purchase. To play devil's advocate however, if you think you might like some more variety-- then I'd suggest that you consider a non-round watch to mix things up a bit (your gorgeous G-P notwithstanding). There are quite a few interesting pieces in the square and rectangular vein that you might find appealing. (Just an idea).
Perhaps the more somber black monster would scratch the dress watch itch, but this blue version feels more casual to me? :laugh: I tend to agree with you re: going with one's heart in these situations. Trouble is, I took a look at the 116234 last night and remember how much I love it! Very much open to other case shapes, with the caveat that my wrist is about 6.5", and some of wear a bit large for me (the Monaco, for example, just doesn't work for me). Need to try out some different Reverso models. Something like a Cartier Tortue seems interesting as well:
I'm less aware of what's out there that might be similar, so would welcome any suggestions.
Agreed. But ones in good condition can get up there in price....
Ah yes, that's a beauty. Scared to look up what these go for :)

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I plan on getting a true leather strap dress watch at some point years down the road... probably a Reverso. For now, I can tell you I have a smooth beze/oyster band/silver dial w/stick markers DJ (36mm) and I love it, more than covers the few times a year I wear a suit. Even sans fluted bezel/jubilee, it dresses up very well, and IMO is more versatile with the oyster band.

You have a very nice collection IMO and I think a DJ fits perfectly.

I love the Pespi GMT, but I love the modern advancements to the bracelet/movement/bezel/etc more. If Rolex made a modern Pepsi in SS it would be a grail, but that is almost certainly never going to happen (and I personally hate the Coke bezel), so no Pepsi for me. I own 2 modern Rolex and every time I try one of the older models on, they do little for me.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected re: the DJ. Also, I'm very much in agreement with your last paragraph. A real shame there's no modern SS Pepsi. I need to spend more time with the vintage models now that I've gotten used to the SD. i can't bring myself to commit to a BLNR or a Coke (if it materializes) when the Pepsi is what I really want.

I will say, though, that the old bezels are starting to grow on me. I initially much preferred the font on the modern GMT Master, but over time, have started to find it a bit busy. I guess while we're wishing for things that will never happen, I'll put in my request for a new SS Pepsi GMT, ceramic bezel but old font, slim chamfered lugs with lug holes, and no PCLs. May as well add glidelock, too. :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads