• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wim

Reaction score
The thought actually crossed my mind! At 36 it's too small for me by a wide margin, but for the right person that's a great idea. I came across a video of a guy who'd dyed his chore coat or jacket (I think a summer Drake's piece) and it came out great, though of course now I can't find the video
That works well. I dyed a Drakeโ€™s linen chore and just recently a heavy cotton twill chore. Just make sure to test if the stitching thread takes the dye. I had to take apart the entire linen chore and stitch it together again in the target color, including button holes.

astrobuoy

Reaction score
That works well. I dyed a Drakeโ€™s linen chore and just recently a heavy cotton twill chore. Just make sure to test if the stitching thread takes the dye. I had to take apart the entire linen chore and stitch it together again in the target color, including button holes.
That's tempting, although I'd be nervous I would make a mess of a perfectly nice jacket. I'm fascinated by Japanese kakishibu persimmon dye though, and I'd love to have a linen chore in that color ๐Ÿค”

boujeepeople

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
HI there people, I hope you all having a great week and looking forward to the weekend. Incase you missed our email if you are subscribed, we have added new stock of Drake's cord shorts in an array of colour ways. Better move quick to get your summer shorts ready.

Ethan :)

tipitai

Reaction score
Would love to see a photo, Wim! your pieces are always so nice

goonerble

Reaction score
Does this suit me/ is the fit okay? Iโ€™d typically wear it with a t shirt or a shirt and this kind of fit I think, do you think that can work or it really needs to be dressed up? Not sure I can pull it off haha

Appreciate any feedback
IMG_2601.jpeg

cedarlake23

Reaction score
I've heard iffy things about Matches right now, since they're in administration. Mostly about people trying to return their items for refund and hearing nothing back. I guess if you're buying from them consider it final sale ๐Ÿ˜…

For sure. I've only done one order (so far) but it worked great. My prior experience is using Japanese proxies for trawling YahooJP, Mercari, Rakuten etc., and this is somewhat similar. I'll use Forward2Me as the example. You sign up for it (free to register) and they provide you with four different shipping addresses depending on where you're wanting to buy from, for Germany, Japan (I use FromJapan as my Japanese proxy), the UK, and UK tax-free (in Guernsey). The tax-free shipping cost is higher (in my case it was ยฃ66 vs ยฃ44 for UK VAT-included on Drake's, but the difference was made up for by the savings since I'd purchased multiple items). Select your location on the Drake's site (either UK or Guernsey), add your items to the cart, then for shipping put in the specific shipping address provided to you by F2Me. Part of the address is a number that's specifically tied to your account, so F2Me knows it's for you. Pay, then in the F2Me dashboard upload the receipt for your purchase, the type and the number of items. Once you get your tracking from Drake's enter that to the dashboard too. When your order is delivered to the F2Me warehouse you'll get an email from them letting you know it's arrived and is waiting in storage. They'll hang onto it for a certain amount of time free of charge (maybe 30 days or something?). That's in a case where if you're purchasing from multiple places and shipping them all to F2Me you can have them combined all into one box to be sent to you, to save on shipping. Once you're ready you just select which courier you want them to use (and if you want them to declare it as a gift to avoid customs fees), pay the shipping cost to F2Me, and they'll dispatch it and give you a tracking number. There are a few other options if needed, which cost a little extra, like if you want them to send photos of the items for verification, combine a bunch of different shipments into a single box, etc.

EDIT: As far as returns, apparently F2Me offers free returns in case you need to send it back. That seems exceptionally generous to me, and I don't have personal experience with doing that with any proxy I've used, so ymmv

This is great! Will likely try this out in a few weeks and will report on how it goes.

Also, I did receive the shirt just fine - glad nothing was wrong.

slows2k

Reaction score
Does this suit me/ is the fit okay? Iโ€™d typically wear it with a t shirt or a shirt and this kind of fit I think, do you think that can work or it really needs to be dressed up? Not sure I can pull it off haha

Appreciate any feedback View attachment 2171685

I really like it with those pants and shoes; the whole aesthetic works. It's a gorgeous piece. It looks like it fits but hard to know without buttoning it up. As someone who mostly wears layers over only T-shirts as well (California), I sometimes find that taking my full size meant for layering can be too much, so I can appreciate if you don't want a ton of unused space inside. How's your range of movement? Can you button it up comfortably without inhibiting you?

It would also look great over a chambray or denim shirt, and still be extremely casual. If you're thinking about tucking in anyway, maybe try one of those too.

goonerble

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes I can button it up with decent movement, if anything I thought it might be a bit long for me/too big. Will try it with a shirt or two as well and see how I get on.

thank you, appreciate the comment!

astrobuoy

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes I can button it up with decent movement, if anything I thought it might be a bit long for me/too big. Will try it with a shirt or two as well and see how I get on.

I think it fits great too, if it were me I wouldnโ€™t size down. I would however take it to a tailor to get the sleeves shortened. Normally I donโ€™t mind folding back the cuff, but I donโ€™t feel it works as well when thereโ€™s a lining peeking out, particularly if itโ€™s a strongly contrasting color. Just my two cents tho

slows2k

Reaction score

Nah, I dont think it's too long at all. I think that sort of piece benefits from being a little large.
I think it fits great too, if it were me I wouldnโ€™t size down. I would however take it to a tailor to get the sleeves shortened. Normally I donโ€™t mind folding back the cuff, but I donโ€™t feel it works as well when thereโ€™s a lining peeking out, particularly if itโ€™s a strongly contrasting color. Just my two cents tho

I agree with the above. This one would look better with sleeves not rolled up.

goonerble

Reaction score
Nah, I dont think it's too long at all. I think that sort of piece benefits from being a little large.

I agree with the above. This one would look better with sleeves not rolled up.

Got it, thanks both! And yep agree on the sleeves, had only rolled them up to get a vague feel of how it would fit if I did get it altered. So will definitely do that.

I think thatโ€™s decision made on keeping it. Only shame is that summer is coming so I wonโ€™t be able to wear it much for a while! Thanks

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score

Appreciate any feedback View attachment 2171685
Does not fit bad at all, just need a sleeve alteration if you care about that. My concern with these types of jackets are the pockets. They can add a bit of visual heft in the waist area.

Wim

Reaction score
Would love to see a photo, Wim! your pieces are always so nice
As usual, the light is playing tricks with the colors. The first picture is the heavy cotton twill chore, originally in French blue (which I somehow couldn't make work with anything else) dyed navy. In the second picture, you see it on me, which is more representative of the actual color.

Attachments

• dyed cotton twill chore.jpg
    dyed cotton twill chore.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 205
  • dyed cotton twill chore 2.jpg
    dyed cotton twill chore 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 203

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads