• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The B.

Reaction score
View attachment 2086439

I just bought an RMFB nylon down vest in Japan from their store and had to size up by two. Works well over the Drake's line jacket.

I got to meet the designer and talk to him. He said that Michael Hill was there a few weeks ago to discuss FW24.
View attachment 2086441

All Drake's (except shoes) on the left. All RMFB on the right. That's the designer.
Is that the navy Coverall?
The emerald green gets all the attention, is hard to find the navy one in the “wild”.

Kid_Icarus

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have one of the Rocky Mountain Featherbed Christy jackets or vests from Drake's? I kinda like the navy tweed one but the prices are eye-watering. I haven't had a down jacket in about 1,000 years and am wondering if they're worth the splurge, and how they look when not in a lookbook!

I have a Christy vest with a shearling collar from Frans Boone and generally like it, although I don't wear it that much. It's VERY puffy at first but flattens out with wear. It's also pretty cropped. I had to size up two and it's still quite fitted over a shetland. If I didn't already have one, I'd be tempted by the brown waxed version Drake's has right now, which looks very nice (love the contrasting red lining), but I definitely can't justify owning two of them, especially how they're priced.

As far as RMFB jackets go, I bought the green hooded DMP parka for Drake's last year and kind of regret it. First of all, when my wife saw me in it she told me I looked like one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which stung and now I can't unsee it. Also I sized up based on my experience with the aforementioned Christy vest, and then lost weight, so now it's way too big. If anyone is interested, I've been meaning to sell it; it's a size 46, still NWT, hanging in a garment bag in my closet.

1702072765101.png

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
I have a Christy vest with a shearling collar from Frans Boone and generally like it, although I don't wear it that much. It's VERY puffy at first but flattens out with wear. It's also pretty cropped. I had to size up two and it's still quite fitted over a shetland. If I didn't already have one, I'd be tempted by the brown waxed version Drake's has right now, which looks very nice (love the contrasting red lining), but I definitely can't justify owning two of them, especially how they're priced.

As far as RMFB jackets go, I bought the green hooded DMP parka for Drake's last year and kind of regret it. First of all, when my wife saw me in it she told me I looked like one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which stung and now I can't unsee it. Also I sized up based on my experience with the aforementioned Christy vest, and then lost weight, so now it's way too big. If anyone is interested, I've been meaning to sell it; it's a size 46, still NWT, hanging in a garment bag in my closet.

View attachment 2086525

I feel your pain. I had bought the bright red Christy vest and first thing I get from my girlfriend is “Marty McFly”. Wearing it with denim doesn’t help.

Janshi

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I decided to try the green 38 with a quilted coat and thick turtleneck underneath. I was pleasantly surprised at how it fit - the cuff ends pretty much at the same point as the 36, the collar has more character when popped, and the added length adds to the sweeping feel of the coat.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about how it drapes on my shoulders or the sleeve line - the extra fabric of the 38 bunches up whereas the 36 presents a cleaner line. It's also a much heftier jacket compared to the 36 -- at some points I felt like I was wearing a cape. None of these are deal breakers, but they do give me food for thought.

Surprisingly, both the 36 and 38 fit over my extra layers without too much difference. The 36 was comfy, the 38 extra comfy. So it really comes down to certain details - cleaner lines vs more billowiness, the comfort of extra space vs the security of a solid fit. Decisions, decisions.

Here are some pics! I wasn't wearing the quilted coat in these pics because it was too damn hot. Also I don't think they quite do the coat justice but what can you do.

1000016121.jpg
1000016123.jpg
1000016122.jpg

Attachments

• 1000016122.jpg
    1000016122.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 203

Trevallon

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I decided to try the green 38 with a quilted coat and thick turtleneck underneath. I was pleasantly surprised at how it fit - the cuff ends pretty much at the same point as the 36, the collar has more character when popped, and the added length adds to the sweeping feel of the coat.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about how it drapes on my shoulders or the sleeve line - the extra fabric of the 38 bunches up whereas the 36 presents a cleaner line. It's also a much heftier jacket compared to the 36 -- at some points I felt like I was wearing a cape. None of these are deal breakers, but they do give me food for thought.

Surprisingly, both the 36 and 38 fit over my extra layers without too much difference. The 36 was comfy, the 38 extra comfy. So it really comes down to certain details - cleaner lines vs more billowiness, the comfort of extra space vs the security of a solid fit. Decisions, decisions.

Here are some pics! I wasn't wearing the quilted coat in these pics because it was too damn hot. Also I don't think they quite do the coat justice but what can you do.

View attachment 2086597 View attachment 2086599 View attachment 2086611
I went through the same thought process as you. Looking at your pictures, I think it looks spot on.
But I had the "cape" feeling as well (my girlfriend said: "Sherlock Holmes!" when I entered the room...). And ultimately didn't feel comfortable making a purchase of this order when I still had doubts.
I know from experience though, that in a couple of years I will probably regret not buying it.

henrip

Reaction score

View attachment 2086597 View attachment 2086599 View attachment 2086611
Absolutely beautiful fit imho!

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends of ones build and bonestructure of course but I’d recommend to try on bigger sizes. At first the coat felt quite large and roomy, but after a few wears I started to understand the fit and size better. I’m not an advocate of a slouchy style in general to be honest but Drake’s balmacaan really looks best when the fit is a bit loose, very relaxed and allows layering. If anybody wants a more fitted coat the polo coat is probably a better option.

I think my size 40 coat looks great like this when wearing shetland for example. But if you look from behind you’d see the shoulders are a bit thight.
View attachment 2086111

For comparison this suede chore is 38
View attachment 2086113
I must admit that I can not get that coat with that pattern out of my head. I am afraid you sent me on a hunting mission and now I hope one day 1 will pop up somewhere. Is it from fall 2021?

nachobarro

Reaction score
@Janshi the coat looks great!

I think wearing an straight or slim cut pair of jeans/pants would help a lot with the overall shape and feel of the coat. Skinny jeans will make the coat feel more of a cape than anything.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
normanlawrence