• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me, unable to sleep.

The sleep-paralysis demon standing at the foot of my bed:

tekla-white-and-brown-hooded-bathrobe.jpg

nprose

Reaction score
Corduroy shorts bought from @boujeepeople a while back. They are unexpectedly light and airy for corduroy. I’m a fan.
Looks great! I'm a huge fan of corduroy shorts, and I find them actually superior to linen in terms of breathability and all that jazz. If people are looking for more colors, can't recommend Birdwell enough - https://www.birdwell.com/collections/mensshorts/products/classic-corduroy-shorts-olive

The olive ones are nearly a daily wear for me. Perfect for California summers especially.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nbarbar

Reaction score

lineate

Reaction score
Hello! On and off lurker, first time writer.

I wanted to ask you Drakes fans about shoes.

Over the last couple years, my attire has shifted more to the casual Drakes / workwear adjacent side of things. I tend to wear navy or olive chore jackets or cotton tailoring, university striped oxford or chambray shirts, and dark blue denim, or olive / khaki chinos / fatigues.

I’m mainly comfortable and happy, but I’ve recently realised I might have a problem with leather shoes and belts.

I’ve never really liked brown shoes, always gravitating to black. I wear black Paraboot Michaeals and Avignons, Blundstones, or I wear white common projects or new balance in assorted colours. This used to be fine, when I wore less ivy-inflected clothes and more black denim, but now it’s feeling a bit off.

I recently got a pair of Astorflex Dukeflex in a “dark khaki” colour and a brown braided belt and have found it a lot easier to get dressed (despite the fact that I don’t like brown overall).

On one hand, I feel like black shoes work great with dark jeans, Oxford and casual sport jacket or chore jacket. On the other, black shoes look weird to my eye with khaki or even olive trousers.

I’ve noticed Drakes’ marketing has been showing lighter clothing with black shoes. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don’t.

What’s your opinion — does this look just suit brown better, or does black work as well?

Attachments

• IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_6470.jpeg
    IMG_6470.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_6471.jpeg
    IMG_6471.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_6472.jpeg
    IMG_6472.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_6473.jpeg
    IMG_6473.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 757

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Over the last couple years, my attire has shifted more to the casual Drakes / workwear adjacent side of things. I tend to wear navy or olive chore jackets or cotton tailoring, university striped oxford or chambray shirts, and dark blue denim, or olive / khaki chinos / fatigues.

I’m mainly comfortable and happy, but I’ve recently realised I might have a problem with leather shoes and belts.

I’ve never really liked brown shoes, always gravitating to black. I wear black Paraboot Michaeals and Avignons, Blundstones, or I wear white common projects or new balance in assorted colours. This used to be fine, when I wore less ivy-inflected clothes and more black denim, but now it’s feeling a bit off.

I recently got a pair of Astorflex Dukeflex in a “dark khaki” colour and a brown braided belt and have found it a lot easier to get dressed (despite the fact that I don’t like brown overall).

On one hand, I feel like black shoes work great with dark jeans, Oxford and casual sport jacket or chore jacket. On the other, black shoes look weird to my eye with khaki or even olive trousers.

I’ve noticed Drakes’ marketing has been showing lighter clothing with black shoes. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don’t.

What’s your opinion — does this look just suit brown better, or does black work as well?
It is mostly personal preference. I prefer different shades of brown over black for casual looks like most of these photos. Only black shoe I accept for casual wear is a loafer.

htinlinn

Reaction score
I also prefer brown for the same reasons. Although I’ve been thinking about grabbing black shoes to wear when my trousers are too close in color to the shade of brown in my shoes.

trg12

Reaction score

To me this is just another case of how the Drake’s team is extremely good at playing with uncommon blends of pieces that people commonly ascribe to different formality levels.

It’s a nice alternative to play with tailored clothing in my opinion, as their Jason Jules-era lookbooks mostly did this trick by mixing more common tailored silhouettes with suede boots (and sports caps).

In my experience it’s really a personal question how well their ideas make you feel comfortable in real life. Their marketing material is just way too good at creating these aspirational emotions and hence doesn’t help to get a feeling for what does and doesn’t work for oneself.

For example, I’m not sure that I’d feel good/am the type for/live the life for the combination of sweater, tweed sport coat, very cropped denim, purple socks, and black old man-derbies.

Fwiw, the European cities I was in the last two years had many people wearing cropped denim with black chunky derbies as a casual look. I think it can look very cool.

Trevallon

Reaction score

I like brown shoes better and that's why I wear them all the time. As others have pointed out, it is really a question of what you like and are comfortable with.

So the equation would be: are you more comfortable with the easier styling options that owning a pair of brown shoes would give you with your current wardrobe (although you don't like brown)? Or are you willing to compromise on "the perfect combination" and still feel better pairing your (dressier) black shoes with your more relaxed clothes (because you like black shoes better).

I would always go with comfort level and what I like. Everytime I went against my gut (like, when I bought white Brütting Sneakers, because, you know, one should have at least one pair of white sneakers) I acquired something that's now gathering dust in the back of my closet. I just don't like sneakers and therefore never wear them.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everytime I went against my gut (like, when I bought white Brütting Sneakers, because, you know, one should have at least one pair of white sneakers) I acquired something that's now gathering dust in the back of my closet.

As you are learning, what one "should" do or have in life by some amorphous custom, *should* be entirely disregarded.

It is indeed better to follow where your disgusting belly leads you.

Trevallon

Reaction score
Did it ever really require a password? The last archive sale I was in on, the site was just open. After that they had the one that excluded Europe.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM