• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

garigo

Reaction score
I can’t speak specifically to Independace, but I’ve been to other Drakes Trunk shows. They usually had a good amount of OTR items to browse such as shirts, ties, knits, and small selection of tailoring. But it was really about their MTO/MTM options: shirts, ties, tailoring (suits and sportcoats), and outerwear (long coats)
Interesting, do you know which outerwear models they typically offer as MTO/MTM?

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might have been me, if it was the last weekend of October!

I had also tried on the navy wool chore jacket, even though I already have one. However, this season’s iteration is darker in colour (more navy while mine has a purple hinge to it) plus I think one size larger would be better for me.

So I also ordered that one in size 44 - which means I’ll be selling my size 42 soon here or on marrrkkktktk. I actually prefer the wool chore over the more expensive navy casentino, as I find it more timeless and versatile.
I might be interested in that if you are located in EU.

45bur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have last year's single-breasted Grey Herringbone Wool Raglan Coat but the double-breasted version looks wonderful indeed (and I don't mind that it doesn't feature the ticket pocket). Unfortunately, there's only so many overcoats I can practically wear. Pity...
Any sizing advice on the coat? Seems most people are sizing down one, but I don't want to ruin the "big coat" vibe

Kid_Icarus

Reaction score
Any sizing advice on the coat? Seems most people are sizing down one, but I don't want to ruin the "big coat" vibe
I have the navy raglan and sized down. It's still plenty big. Mine fits me similar to the way Jason Jules is wearing it here. My normal size felt enormous. The generous vent in the back makes the cut even more generous.

1699486964289.png

45bur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the navy raglan and sized down. It's still plenty big. Mine fits me similar to the way Jason Jules is wearing it here. My normal size felt enormous. The generous vent in the back makes the cut even more generous.

View attachment 2065343
Thank! I might actually stay TTS - I'm going for a "big coat" vibe. My only concern is the 630 gsm weight - seems light for a winter coat

Kid_Icarus

Reaction score
Thank! I might actually stay TTS - I'm going for a "big coat" vibe. My only concern is the 630 gsm weight - seems light for a winter coat
Understandable. My only quibble with it is that it's not fully lined, which I think would make it feel more substantial and improve the drape. Otherwise it's a beautiful shape. For what it's worth, the Prince of Wales is heavier and objectively a beautiful fabric, but the scale was too much for me. I looked like a couch when I tried it on. Plain old navy was a lot more flattering on me personally.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, do you know which outerwear models they typically offer as MTO/MTM?
Similar to their tailoring, where you can do a single or double breasted suit or sport coat, at least in the past they offered a variety of topcoat/overcoat styles available for either MTO or MTM..

I guess I could have been more specific and said, tailored outerwear.

ikoiko

Reaction score
Understandable. My only quibble with it is that it's not fully lined, which I think would make it feel more substantial and improve the drape. Otherwise it's a beautiful shape. For what it's worth, the Prince of Wales is heavier and objectively a beautiful fabric, but the scale was too much for me. I looked like a couch when I tried it on. Plain old navy was a lot more flattering on me personally.

I've had the opposite experience, having just traded in my '20 herringbone for the PoW check. I sized 1 down from my games / tailored sizing, the jacket is wonderfully big enough to fit everything underneath and the pattern suits me better. Agreed, it's really heavy! It feels like I'm wearing a "blanket with sleeves", as G. Bruce Boyer would put it. Which I like.

wahnamhong

Reaction score
I bought the PoW coat earlier this year, in March I believe (not knowing it would remain in the collection). So I haven’t worn it yet and it still hangs in my closet tags attached. I have also been debating whether to keep it: it’s not a jacket that is very versatile imho. There is one specific outfit where I really like this coat, but a navy/grey coat would be much more versatile.

Still, it’s such a beautiful and unique coat that I’ll probably start wearing it, once temps become a bit lower. I stayed true to size: one of the unique parts of this coat is the wide fit and subsequent drape, so that is something I’d like to keep.

wahnamhong

Reaction score
By the way, when I was in NYC I did buy something over at Drake’s. As a European the only thing that makes sense pricewise to buy there are Alden shoes, so that is what I did.

These are wonderful! A collaboration between Drake’s and Alden, but I haven’t seen them at all online nor I believe in the London shop. Price USD 740 something including NY state tax. I’ve been wearing them a lot already, they look great with cream/white trousers, but also go well with navy chalkstripe.

6E1F4815-800A-4882-ABA1-BAB39C3E94D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 3680D026-F2BA-4BED-A71B-1F771B552DA9.jpeg
    3680D026-F2BA-4BED-A71B-1F771B552DA9.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Wim

Reaction score
I took my regular size 38 to allow for plenty of layering (size 38 jacket+chunky sweater or work shirt). So it's a bit roomier than on the Jason Jules picture Kid_Icarus posted, but it still looks and feels good with just a thick roll neck sweater underneath. Happy with the grey herringbone cloth (after a long internal struggle about the PoW), as it is a bit more versatile like wahnamong mentions.

Last edited:

45bur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my regular size 38 to allow for plenty of layering (size 38 jacket+chunky sweater or work shirt). So it's a bit roomier than on the Jason Jules picture Kid_Icarus posted, but it still looks and feels good with just a thick roll neck sweater underneath. Happy with the grey herringbone cloth (after a long internal struggle about the PoW), as it is a bit more versatile like wahnamong mentions.
How's the warmth? Suitable for a "real" winter with snow etc?

Wim

Reaction score
How's the warmth? Suitable for a "real" winter with snow etc?
I’d say that depends on the fabric. Last year’s grey herringbone is quite thick but loosely woven, compared to e.g. this year’s double-breasted edition, which looks more dense. Because of the layers (wide pleat in the back, facing in the front) it keeps the cold out, but the wind not so much. I was out in some icy winds last winter with the casentino chore underneath as a windbreaker. But again, the layering was part of the style I was aiming for, so I don’t mind.

Last edited:

Treble

Reaction score
I'm thinking of either the single breasted from last time or this years double breasted.

Has anyone seen any fit pics of the latter 'in the wild' yet? The colour looks lighter than the one JJ is wearing above.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeeandthelostboys