• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dustedangelz

Reaction score
Started a new thread minutes ago, but then thought that maybe my query belongs here. Sorry newbie mistake:

I recently bought Uniqlo’s Slim Fit Straight Selvedge jeans (http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/bottoms/jeans/selvedge/men-slim-fit-straight-jeans-selvedge-124313.html) , in a couple sizes since I am not all that familiar with raw jeans in general and have also never purchased jeans from Uniqlo. I did a bunch of research here and on other sites, but because my questions are quite specific to me, I still haven’t found the answers. Wanted to reach out to anyone on this board who has purchased these jeans before.

I should preface my question by stating that I am not a denim connoisseur. In other words, I am not buying selvedge for it to fade, though I am sure that upsets some people. I’m just a guy who likes the way that raw jeans look when they’re brand new and thus wants them to stay looking brand new. In this case, I am actually looking for jeans that are the exact blackish-blue color that Uniqlo’s are before wash and wear.

To get my jeans to hold their color best, I believe my best option may be to soak them in a mixture of cold water and vinegar. However, I know that even a cold soak will cause the jeans to lose some color, and as I said, I really am trying to keep the jeans as they are (or as close as possible).

So I am thinking that my best option may be to just wear the jeans as-is, never wash them and take them to the dry cleaners when they need a cleaning. This is what I usually do with washed dark jeans and the color rarely fades. Still, I noticed that the dye comes off quite easily on pretty much everything, so it feels like just a matter of time until they lose the blackish-blue color I’m trying to keep.

Any recommendations? Based on experience, would folks recommend the cold wash/vinegar option or the wear-them-as-is option?

Also, I am a little worried about shrinkage if I do the cold wash. I read elsewhere that the jeans can shrink about an inch in a hot wash. Haven’t read about anyone doing the first wash cold. I found a size that fits me perfectly now, but if they were to shrink, they would be too short and probably too slim. Anyone ever do a cold wash first? Was there shrinkage?

Thanks, folks.

Leather

Reaction score

Quick review of white linen shirt and gray sweatpants. Took a medium in both and fits pretty well. Shirt is tight in shoulder and arms but decent enough that I'll keep it. Sweats are slim and tapered, but not too aggressively tapered which is nice.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The raw jeans deposit indigo ("crock") heavily until you wash them. But I've seen no shrinkage.

Whoa that linen shirt looks thin

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick review of white linen shirt and gray sweatpants. Took a medium in both and fits pretty well. Shirt is tight in shoulder and arms but decent enough that I'll keep it. Sweats are slim and tapered, but not too aggressively tapered which is nice.

Thanks for posting a photo of that. A little too sheer for my tastes. Fit looks good.

dustedangelz

Reaction score
The raw jeans deposit indigo ("crock") heavily until you wash them. But I've seen no shrinkage.
Thanks for the reply. But if I do the cold water/vinegar wash, how much color will the jeans lose? Will they remain that blackish blue color?

And just to confirm, you're saying that when you've washed your raw Uniqlo's, they haven't shrinked at all? That would suggest they're sanforized, yes?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo purports these to be unsanforized but I got no shrinkage w a long hot wash, so it's as if they're sanforized. I however wouldn't be surprised to see a little shrinkage after a few washes--a lot of denim will do that.

I've never done a vinegar wash, so I can't help you there, but it's not like you lose indigo in a noticeable way w a normal cold wash. I think you'll be ok with how they look there.

But really, if you want jeans that barely fade, there are some manufacturers that make that--I can't remember the brand but Blue Owl was selling some. My uniqlo jeans are not old enough to tell how intensely they'll fade. I've not heard of a way to lock in the blue color of jeans--if the vinegar method does work, that'd be fascinating.

baxter0

Reaction score
Did anyone figure out why the linen shirts say to wash gentle cycle? Do they shrink a lot on a normal wash?

easy_golfing

Reaction score
anybody notice a large amount of pulls (threads coming out) of the linen *****? i bought one and haven't even worn it I notice a lot of them

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like there are two types of black skinnies, has anyone handled both?

EdwardB

Reaction score
looks like there are two types of black skinnies, has anyone handled both?

I think that one of them is the "powder denim" and one is the coated version (can't particularly tell from the pictures). If so, I've had both. Powdered denim has some kind of treatment that makes it soft and has a higher percentage of synthetic materials (most likely to retain color), if that's of any importance to you. Basically just a cheap overdye. A lot of people on here seem to like the coated denim but it just wasn't really my thing. It's actually a reasonably nice treatment and looks to be more expensive than it really is. On the other hand, it does smell because of the treatment (some people say it goes away after some washings, but mine never did) and gets somewhat splotchy/uneven (not really noticeable except really close) after some washings. Both fit more or less the same; I'd size up one in the waist on either.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the measurements on the japanese site are correct? (i know that japanese sizes fit smaller than US, but it still seems rather large)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads