• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DiglettDigs

Reaction score
^ was PM'd about the colors and figured a picture was the best way to describe them.

left to right. khaki, olive, navy. farthest right is Gitman Vintage overdye'd olive/green/moss (forgot exact name).

how's the fit compared to gitman vintage?

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they have any short-sleeve oxfords up on the site, or if they even have them in the store? I wasn't able to find any, was really hoping to pick up a few of those to pair with Schneider shorts.

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do they have any short-sleeve oxfords up on the site, or if they even have them in the store? I wasn't able to find any, was really hoping to pick up a few of those to pair with Schneider shorts.

they will have it in the middle of summer

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as someone who has been shopping at uniqlo sincethe first New York store opened, I have to debunk all this "the quality has gone down the *******" talk. Let's talk about the oxfords. the original oxfords from when the store first opened were nice, but the fabric was way too thick imo. Then they had a period where it was too thin. Then they had a period of time when they got thicker, and then thinner once again. In fact, the oxfords they sell now (the slim fit ones) are some of the best oxfords they've ever had, both in terms of quality and fit (for me anyways). Can someone actually pinpoint where the quality has gone down hill, or what you mean when you say quality?

The only thing i don't like is that nearly every jacket is made from some sort of tech fabric. they used to do more interesting things with cotton and cotton/poly blends in the fast.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding the Tasmanian stuff is a seasonal item and should be back come late summer as AW items start trickling in.

JilSlander

Reaction score
The only thing i don't like is that nearly every jacket is made from some sort of tech fabric. they used to do more interesting things with cotton and cotton/poly blends in the fast.
Agreed.

Oxfords are great now; SF members shouldn't sleep on them.

Agreed even more on the jackets. I still have this Blouson (basically an MA-1 with a collar) from FW11; it's fantastic:

It's my understanding the Tasmanian stuff is a seasonal item and should be back come late summer as AW items start trickling in.

You are correct. Wait until Fall rolls around; I have to say Uniqlo S/S collections are usually disappointing.

sdedalus1

Reaction score

as someone who has been shopping at uniqlo sincethe first New York store opened, I have to debunk all this "the quality has gone down the *******" talk. Let's talk about the oxfords. the original oxfords from when the store first opened were nice, but the fabric was way too thick imo. Then they had a period where it was too thin. Then they had a period of time when they got thicker, and then thinner once again. In fact, the oxfords they sell now (the slim fit ones) are some of the best oxfords they've ever had, both in terms of quality and fit (for me anyways). Can someone actually pinpoint where the quality has gone down hill, or what you mean when you say quality?

Well, I prefer the thickness of the old oxfords cause collar roll was fantastic, but yes, current version is almost as good and a more all-season weight. Horses for courses. (Also, the neutral gray on the older ones was great, they should bring it back in addition to the new the blue-gray, but that's pretty minor.) So don't get me wrong, the oxfords are fantastic for the price, slim fit w/o the box pleat is a great & often hard to find option--I'm really happy with mine.

But I agree with others that I've noticed a slow downhill slide to mass market irrelevancy. Part of this is the move to more and more synthetics.

The only thing i don't like is that nearly every jacket is made from some sort of tech fabric.

Cotton and wool are expensive and as they chase profits I'm sure they make more clothes out of plastic to make more money (profits are up, but it costs a lot to keep building stores). Plus their founder has talked about all their investments in designing their own synthetics, which they consider the future. (I understand some are fine with this and like heattech, but I'd rather pay more for one pair of wool socks or underwear than a dozen poly any day.)

So, examples: The EFM sweaters are great, and I hope they keep making them, but there were a ton of not-great-feeling synthetic knits this year. Never bought MIJ b/c they never fit me that well, so curious if people think quality is the same. I think their other jeans (often w/lots of spandex) are not any good, but maybe that's always been the case. +J suiting was good but that is gone and not coming back. (I disliked the aesthetics of UU and so didn't buy anything from that collection, but from a distance the quality didn't seem great, dunno.) They don't reliably stock the tasmanian suiting anymore, but always have the poly blends on display. The raincoats are very shiny poly, not the more matte cotton/poly of years past.The EFC shirts are paper thin--I think this has always been the case, but a few years ago they also had "Premium Cotton" shirting that was a soft 2-ply a lot like J Crew stuff. (The end-on-end from that line was great.) That's gone and I would be surprised if it comes back. The SS linen shirts from last summer were sandpaper rough, unlike years before--the LS linen last year and this year though is better than that, so hopefully they improve, or just bring back, decent SS linen this year. And so on. Little things, but they add up. I hope to be proven wrong, and look forward to a couple more hits, but I don't like the direction they seem to be headed.

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

everyone is gonna have a different opinion on what denotes quality. that said, as i mentioned earlier pretty much everyone hates the replacement of the jeans. the old ones were perfect as they were. inexpensive, but the quality was as good as many more expensive pairs i've tried, and is as much as i need or want. simple, black, and a bit of stretch (don't know how i used to stand 100% cotton jeans or how others still do) - decent quality denim. admittedly, i have tried them myself but pretty much ll reports of the new ones have been disappointing.

also, the t-shirts suck now. they don't have the plain cotton ones, and the premium cotton ones, contrary to my earlier post as i've had more time to reflect, aren't as good (wasn't a fan of the slim fit on the original anyway though). i never bothered with the oxfords since i don't wear those anyway, but i did buy a buttondown recently with COMPLETE **** paper fabric. maybe it's always been that way.

i've never bought much from uniqlo - in fact, when i first checked out the soho store in 2010 after hearing rave reviews of good quality at a low price, i was really disappointed by the **** quality of so much of it. anyway...but i liked the denim, t-shirts, socks and underwear. t-shirts and denim are now gone for me. i just hope my s-001's last me a long, long time. i'd be willing to pay 2-3x as much for an equivalent pair (when/if i need a replacement). i'm now on the hunt for replacement t-shirts and am hoping i can find some before it gets too hot (i'm kind of too late for that since i live in texas). i'd like to think i'll find some i like even more, but it's still annoying to have to find something else to rely on.

Last edited:

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the (lack of) stocking of the premium cotton tees. They do have the long sleeved ones, so I'm hoping at some point the short sleeved ones are released. Bout time to stock up.

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on the (lack of) stocking of the premium cotton tees. They do have the long sleeved ones, so I'm hoping at some point the short sleeved ones are released. Bout time to stock up.

they have the premium cotton ones up, just kind of hidden amongst all the dry package thumbnails.
crewneck: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/life...-crew-neck-short-sleeve-t-shirt/075886-63-003
vneck: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/lifewear/men-premium-cotton-v-neck-short-sleeve-t-shirt/076612-00-006

they're different from before. cotton is still pretty soft - just not as much so imo. a bit thinner maybe which is probably better for s/s. i was just never a fan of the slim fit that i think both have. i tried sizing up on these ones but it ended up too loose in the body. i could try tts, but i think it would be too narrow for my shoulders, which was the problem with the old ones

gong

Reaction score
i got a small in the new premium cotton shirts, i'm 5'9 150 and they fit perfect.

Last edited:

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered some of the new premium cottons and can't say I dislike them. Wouldn't mind an extra 3/4-1" of length, but they fit as well as anything does on me and are better than UO or AA at half the price. Whether it's worth the extra $5 over the Dry Packages, I'm not so sure - differences seem minimal to me, once they've been through the wash a few times I'm hard pressed to figure out which was which.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
i wear xl in those

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend sizing up in the Uniqlo long sleeve ts. Here is my sob story: I got them in medium and they fit fine when brand new. But then I put them in the wash (no dryer, hang dry) and they shrunk like 2" in arms and body length. Arms are almost 3/4 length now and you can literally see my belly when I wear them. I should post a pic for the amusement of all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads