• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

Lucy J

Reaction score

Quote:
Not bought them yet Lucy, unfortunately my car had problems with the clutch and another few odds and ends so I bought a new one meaning I haven't really had the cash at the moment. Dad - Oak handle, burgundy canopy Mum - Maple handle, green canopy Brother - Chestnut handle, black canopy Me - same as my dad On the Brigg website though when you try to personalise it only lists the black canopy as an option, how do you go about personalising the canopy colours?
If I were you Steve I would ring the shop in Piccadilly Arcade and talk to someone there about the colour choices. I popped in a few weeks ago when I was i London for the day and only just managed to resist buying myself another brigg!

westhill

Reaction score

These long umbrellas are made by Francesco Maglia for Mark Marengo Savile Row. Some of the models
like this one have the leather handle and tip that unscrews which is handy for packing in my wheely bag,
saves me having to cart it around airports etc looking suspicious ! Would be handy for the helicopter too I guess !
I think I paid £180 for this one which is quite a sum but its fabulous and offers a good
mix of the traditional Maglia make with the scarlet leather giving a contemporary twist.
https://www.markmarengo.com/accessories/umbrellas/umbrella-667.html
Maglia make their own sticks and components and the process takes many weeks but apparently that's needed to give
the strength to flex in the most inclement weather , strong gusts of wind and driving rains ...

Lucy J

Reaction score

[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] These long umbrellas are made by Francesco Maglia for Mark Marengo Savile Row. Some of the models like this one have the leather handle and tip that unscrews which is handy for packing in my wheely bag, saves me having to cart it around airports etc looking suspicious ! Would be handy for the helicopter too I guess ! I think I paid £180 for this one which is quite a sum but its fabulous and offers a good mix of the traditional Maglia make with the scarlet leather giving a contemporary twist. [COLOR=A74345]https://www.markmarengo.com/accessories/umbrellas/umbrella-667.html[/COLOR] Maglia make their own sticks and components and the process takes many weeks but apparently that's needed to give the strength to flex in the most inclement weather , strong gusts of wind and driving rains ...
Does the fact that it's got a detachable handle create a point of weakness if the umbrella is being buffetted by heavy gusts?

westhill

Reaction score
Does the fact that it's got a detachable handle create a point of weakness if the umbrella is being buffetted by heavy gusts?
Hi Lucy J, I take your point ...but the one I have has a very good steel screw-thread fitting that fits into another strong metal fitting , its not screwed into the wood or anything like that so it feels very strong once assembled together, and certainly I've not had any problem with it in strong winds or in even quite torrential rain . Of course we don't normally have hurricanes or tornadoes in UK , such as occur more frequently in the US., so I can't say if it would stand up to that amount of battering.... But for Italy where it was lovingly made and UK where it is happily and elegantly in use ( we do get a lot of rain ! ) I can greatly recommend this Marengo/Maglia umbrella.

Lucy J

Reaction score

Hi Lucy J, I take your point ...but the one I have has a very good steel screw-thread fitting that fits into another strong metal fitting , its not screwed into the wood or anything like that so it feels very strong once assembled together, and certainly I've not had any problem with it in strong winds or in even quite torrential rain . Of course we don't normally have hurricanes or tornadoes in UK , such as occur more frequently in the US., so I can't say if it would stand up to that amount of battering.... But for Italy where it was lovingly made and UK where it is happily and elegantly in use ( we do get a lot of rain ! ) I can greatly recommend this Marengo/Maglia umbrella.  

I will have a look at those next time I am in London (I get up there on average every two or three weeks). I spend most of my time in Brighton where its often a case of battling the coastal winds/gales/storms (delete as appropriate) with one of my collection of umbrellas. Default is a solid wood cherry Brigg but I'm a bit of an umbrellaphile and have a collection of almost 20 brollies of various shapes and sizes... do you think the Marengo/Maglia would hold up in gale force or storm force gusts?

westhill

Reaction score
Hi Lucy , maybe take a look at Maglia website, its available in English here if you don't speak Italian.
There's quite a good amount of information and some great pictures for umbrellaphiles. They are among two of the oldest Italian
umbrella companies still making them in the traditional way

http://www.ombrellimaglia.it/inglese

Maglia make umbrellas by special order for many high end brands . It just so happens that I found mine in Mark Marengo Savile Row
who commissioned a number of different styles from them, and although quite expensive at £180 it compared favourably with some of
the British brands in terms of quality spec.v price. I liked the red leather handle as well , that's a signature Marengo touch.

There are various different styles availably not all of them with the detachable components that make them so perfect for travel.
One of the things Maglia are well known for is the continuous stick umbrella that really is all one piece and that is bent into shape over
many weeks so it flexes perfectly with the wind, in just the way that a living tree does. All clever stuff !

Lucy J

Reaction score

Hi Lucy , maybe take a look at Maglia website, its available in English here if you don't speak Italian.
There's quite a good amount of information and some great pictures for umbrellaphiles.  They are among two of the oldest Italian
umbrella companies still making them in the traditional way

http://www.ombrellimaglia.it/inglese

Maglia make umbrellas by special order for many high end brands . It just so happens that I found mine in Mark Marengo Savile Row
who commissioned a number of different styles from them, and although quite expensive at £180 it compared favourably with some of
the British brands in terms of quality spec.v price. I liked the red leather handle as well , that's a signature Marengo touch.

There are various different styles availably not all of them with the detachable components that make them so perfect for travel.
One of the things Maglia are well known for is the continuous stick umbrella that really is all one piece and that is bent into shape over
many weeks so it flexes perfectly with the wind, in just the way that a living tree does. All clever stuff !  

Thanks for this - I will check it out. A few of my umbrellas are "premium" makes - solid stick Brigg, Brigg golfer, solid stick Fox, solid stick 10-rib Longchamp, 10-rib James Smith (as well as a few vented golf umbrellas or lower-cost models).... The James Smith is a recent purchase so it hasn't really been tested by the weather here yet but I'm sure it will get a severe examination over the winter. Of the other "high end" brollies, I have to say the Fox feels the most fragile when the wind gets up to 25mph or so, whereas the Longchamp and the Briggs have all handled days where the mean speed has been 30mph or more, with gusts to 50 or 55 (as long as I hang on tight with both hands and keep the brolly pointing into the storm). Anything beyond that and I am trying to stay on my feet rather than keep a brolly up! I have a 25 minute walk to and from the office in Brighton so good rain protection is essential...!

westhill

Reaction score
Thanks for this - I will check it out. A few of my umbrellas are "premium" makes - solid stick Brigg, Brigg golfer, solid stick Fox, solid stick 10-rib Longchamp, 10-rib James Smith (as well as a few vented golf umbrellas or lower-cost models).... The James Smith is a recent purchase so it hasn't really been tested by the weather here yet but I'm sure it will get a severe examination over the winter. Of the other "high end" brollies, I have to say the Fox feels the most fragile when the wind gets up to 25mph or so, whereas the Longchamp and the Briggs have all handled days where the mean speed has been 30mph or more, with gusts to 50 or 55 (as long as I hang on tight with both hands and keep the brolly pointing into the storm). Anything beyond that and I am trying to stay on my feet rather than keep a brolly up! I have a 25 minute walk to and from the office in Brighton so good rain protection is essential...!
Lucy J
You are really selling Brighton as one of Britain's premier holiday destinations .."gale force winds, 55mph gusts, trying to stay on feet etc.." ..sounds like there is imminent danger of Lucy blowing away into the English Channel Mary Poppins style ? At least you will do that stylishly !

Lucy J

Reaction score

Lucy J
You are really selling Brighton as one of Britain's premier holiday destinations .."gale force winds, 55mph gusts, trying to stay on feet etc.." ..sounds like there is imminent danger of Lucy blowing away into the English Channel Mary Poppins style ? At least you will do that stylishly ! 

We have a lot of beautiful days as well, even in winter when a crisp bright cold day can be gorgeous!! It's just that when it's bad it can be REALLY bad, and I guess it would be the same if I was in Plymouth, Blackpool, Aberystwyth etc etc - we usually get three or four 70mph days each winter and when it's like that it really can be a case of trying to stay on your feet - my office is in one of the side streets leading down to the seafront and the winds really howl up those streets when its blowing a storm...

Against that, if its nice I have a 1 minute walk to the seafront on a glorious day...

westhill

Reaction score
We have a lot of beautiful days as well, even in winter when a crisp bright cold day can be gorgeous!! It's just that when it's bad it can be REALLY bad, and I guess it would be the same if I was in Plymouth, Blackpool, Aberystwyth etc etc - we usually get three or four 70mph days each winter and when it's like that it really can be a case of trying to stay on your feet - my office is in one of the side streets leading down to the seafront and the winds really howl up those streets when its blowing a storm...

Against that, if its nice I have a 1 minute walk to the seafront on a glorious day...
Your Brighton tourist board can breathe a sigh of relief Lucy ! I don't know Brighton particularly but everyone says its a really cool place ... returning to the subject of umbrellas which is what this thread is about its a wonder don't you think that these traditional umbrella makers keep going ... considering their umbrellas last for years and even more because you see so few umbrellas in the City, when once they were as obligatory as the bowler hat . Long may these ancient umbrella making traditions continue !

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You should send a pic.

cwh812

Reaction score
I've tried searching all over the internet and I can't find a retailer in NYC who carries Brigg umbrellas. Does anyone know of any retailers who do?

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the length on that black watch umbrella? Looks short.
very very short...only 70cm
i did not check the measurements carefully when bought it online
baldy[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics