• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

induere_to

Reaction score
Here are two fun instagram accounts that I follow very closely, both of which I have found after I started doing my own deconstructions. They were both suggested to my by people that really enjoyed reading through my commentary.

This first account, deconstructs leather products from some popular and some non-popular brands that are either sent in for review by the companies themselves or by his followers. I'm not too well versed in leather products, but still find his videos fascinating. He describes the leather used, how much coating is on it, how detailed the finishings are to the quality of the hardware and estimates production cost. He estimated a $495 Gucci cardholder to have cost only $50 to make. I've been busy with my own work lately to do any more deconstructions, but this guy's videos give me great insight for what I can do differently in the future:

This next account can be more directed towards brand owners and creative directors that understand the lingo, or upskirting-clothing nerds that like to see fashion brands through a hidden lens of transparency. He discusses brands' production facilities; where they are, what the MOQ may be and how many other brands use them. He breaks down prices, quality control details. It's not all necessarily whistle-blowing, to me, he uses his platform more as a guide to help people get their brands started and how to locate manufacturers, but will occasionally post videos like the following, that show you the quality vs quantity levels of production for some RTW fast fashion brands. Similar to the above, and what I have done in the past in my posts, he explains how much things cost to make vs how much consumers pay for them.

Anyways, it's fascinating stuff to me, and it's cool to see I'm not the only one... I just kinda suck at doing it. If I was more comfortable in front of a camera, it could become a fun Youtube project...

maebach

Reaction score
Hi all, Im off to Stockholm, Bergen and Copenhagen next week. I have a SNS Herning piece I bought off an SF member here and it's a great sweater. One of my fav pieces.

Do you have any recommendations on shops to go to or pieces to pick up while there? Anything I can buy there that's cheaper than here? Thanks

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Took this pic at the FCP Harry Rosen.

Credit to Samuelsohn for finally going a bit more classic ala Paul Stuart:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

This is a sample to promote their Icons collection. Not a fan of the wide-space pinstripe, but this one looks good.

dennistsang

Reaction score
Hi all. I am looking for an winter boot of the coming winter. Currently I am looking at the winter boot w/ shearling from Meermin. What do you guys think? is it going to be warm enought for the winter in Toronto? This is my fisrt winter in Toronto. So not so sure what to prepare.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am looking for an winter boot of the coming winter. Currently I am looking at the winter boot w/ shearling from Meermin. What do you guys think? is it going to be warm enought for the winter in Toronto? This is my fisrt winter in Toronto. So not so sure what to prepare.

For me, I'd rather wear thicker wool socks and add a wool insole for warmth.

If you like Meermin, stick with them.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're going to be walking around outside for any extended period of time, it's worth considering a pair of overshoes to wear over the Meermins or your other dress shoes, depending on the type of leather it is. We don't get as much snow as one may think, but we usually do get at least one decent sized snowstorm a year where we can get 8-10cm of snow pileup. In those instances, I prefer wearing boots over other dress shoes/sneakers.

But if you're willing to let them get beat up a bit by the elements, then it probably won't matter. Though there (probably) will be days where function will win out over aesthetics, and L.L. Bean bean boot is hard to beat in that department. If I didn't have a old pair of work boots for those times, I'd own a pair myself.

Generally, you can get by just fine with some layering: an undershirt, wool/lambswool sweater and a slightly heavier coat/jacket can work just fine, and then you can peel off the layers as needed when inside. You can also go with a heavier coat/jacket if don't want to layer up as much. Having a beanie/toque is handy if your outerwear doesn't have a hood.

Wrenkin

Reaction score

Realistically, 90% of the time Blundstones with a medium wool sock are the best option. When there is a significant snowfall, which isn't that often, then you need Sorels.

I just keep nicer shoes at the office.

The issue in Toronto is not the cold, and it's not the snow. It's that for a week after a significant snowfall you may be required to cross an intersection covered in several inches of salt water, because our climate is not cold enough to keep all of our snow from melting. What you are looking for is something that covers your ankle, can accommodate wool socks, is splash-resistant, and has enough grip that you can climb a snowbank, or hop a puddle without falling.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realistically, 90% of the time Blundstones with a medium wool sock are the best option. When there is a significant snowfall, which isn't that often, then you need Sorels.

I just keep nicer shoes at the office.

The issue in Toronto is not the cold, and it's not the snow. It's that for a week after a significant snowfall you may be required to cross an intersection covered in several inches of salt water, because our climate is not cold enough to keep all of our snow from melting. What you are looking for is something that covers your ankle, can accommodate wool socks, is splash-resistant, and has enough grip that you can climb a snowbank, or hop a puddle without falling.

I agree with the majority of your post. Only want to add that Blundstone OEM soles will eventually fall apart from hydrolysis. Plus I found they didn't grip well on slick surfaces.

I had my pair resoled with a Vibram Montagna sole for durability and better traction.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I agree with the majority of your post. Only want to add that Blundstone OEM soles will eventually fall apart from hydrolysis. Plus I found they didn't grip well on slick surfaces.

I had my pair resoled with a Vibram Montagna sole for durability and better traction.
My most recent pair is a slightly upgraded model with a vibram sole. They are wearing better than the previous pair but I am not convinced about the grip on ice. They have better traction then the regular model on wet pavement as long as it’s above freezing.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My most recent pair is a slightly upgraded model with a vibram sole. They are wearing better than the previous pair but I am not convinced about the grip on ice. They have better traction then the regular model on wet pavement as long as it’s above freezing.
No sole grips on ice!!

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is the slush and salt. Personally, I wear real winter boots any time it snows or a few days after snowing.

When it comes to the days where its cold and not slushy outside, you can definitely wear dress shoes. I actually just bought Trickers (thanks to @gs77 ) to wear in the winter for days without slush

It's a sweet deal if you're into classic English country shoe. I have trickers henry chelsea boot bought few years ago and they are hard to beat for those Toronto slushy days. Bonus, being chelsea, they are easy to take on and off ;-)

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to be walking around outside for any extended period of time, it's worth considering a pair of overshoes to wear over the Meermins or your other dress shoes, depending on the type of leather it is. We don't get as much snow as one may think, but we usually do get at least one decent sized snowstorm a year where we can get 8-10cm of snow pileup. In those instances, I prefer wearing boots over other dress shoes/sneakers.

But if you're willing to let them get beat up a bit by the elements, then it probably won't matter. Though there (probably) will be days where function will win out over aesthetics, and L.L. Bean bean boot is hard to beat in that department. If I didn't have a old pair of work boots for those times, I'd own a pair myself.

Generally, you can get by just fine with some layering: an undershirt, wool/lambswool sweater and a slightly heavier coat/jacket can work just fine, and then you can peel off the layers as needed when inside. You can also go with a heavier coat/jacket if don't want to layer up as much. Having a beanie/toque is handy if your outerwear doesn't have a hood.

+1 for rubber overshoes or overboots. It's a nice alternative to dragging around my dress shoes.

aragon765

Reaction score
(when I needed to be in dress shoes) I used a pair of Swims overshoes in Toronto and found them to be the most efficient/effective option in winter. Warm enough for the time I spent outside, and effective against salt/snow splash and spray.

(when I didn't need to be in dress shoes) I wore a pair of Sorel winter boots. They were the best overall answer when I didn't need to dress up.

Now I live in Calgary, and wear Fubuki's all winter long :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads