• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

goatamous II

Reaction score
Posted this in the eBay thread but maybe someone here knows the answer

I sold a pair of glasses on ebay to a US buyer. Buyer decided she didn't like them, so opened a return and shipped them back (no biggie, I accept returns)

They're now ready for pickup at the post office, but the CBSA has valued them higher than I sold them for and hit me with $30 of duties

My questions
A) should returns be duty free?
B) any way to fight this?

If I reject the package, it goes back to the buyer and I'll still have to refund
If I keep it, I'm out an additional $30 that I'll be lucky to recoup

Any ideas?

chiggyv

Reaction score
Posted this in the eBay thread but maybe someone here knows the answer

I sold a pair of glasses on ebay to a US buyer. Buyer decided she didn't like them, so opened a return and shipped them back (no biggie, I accept returns)

They're now ready for pickup at the post office, but the CBSA has valued them higher than I sold them for and hit me with $30 of duties

My questions
A) should returns be duty free?
B) any way to fight this?

If I reject the package, it goes back to the buyer and I'll still have to refund
If I keep it, I'm out an additional $30 that I'll be lucky to recoup

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, your pooched. The buyer should have marked them as a return. You can pay the duties and use the eBay return documentation to request a refund from CBSA. It'll take a while to get your money but you eventually will.

goatamous II

Reaction score
Unfortunately, your pooched. The buyer should have marked them as a return. You can pay the duties and use the eBay return documentation to request a refund from CBSA. It'll take a while to get your money but you eventually will.
Thanks
Guess that's the route I'll take

I was also advised that apparently I'm allowed to deduct the amount of the duties from the refund (eBay will supposedly allow it), but that will just yield a pissed off buyer

Appreciate the reply

burgerkong

Reaction score
Nevermind the interesting penmanship, but my Pedemeia OTC socks came in duty/tax free (~43€ nonetheless). They are superb bang for buck tbh.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-11 at 9.37.57 AM.jpeg

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Nevermind the interesting penmanship, but my Pedemeia OTC socks came in duty/tax free (~43€ nonetheless). They are superb bang for buck tbh.

View attachment 2006509

From the website those look nice - they are very cheap price-wise. Do they seem to be of good quality compared to the ones sold by Mes Chaussettes Rouge and the like?

Which ones did you get? I assume when they say "knee high" that means OTC...certainly looks full length for that.

Did you pay the 15 Euros for shipping? (I assume there is no free shipping to Canada?)

Thanks!

burgerkong

Reaction score
From the website those look nice - they are very cheap price-wise. Do they seem to be of good quality compared to the ones sold by Mes Chaussettes Rouge and the like?

Which ones did you get? I assume when they say "knee high" that means OTC...certainly looks full length for that.

Did you pay the 15 Euros for shipping? (I assume there is no free shipping to Canada?)

Thanks!

They fit better than Pantherella at a fraction the price - only issue is no fun patterns for knee high (which are the over the calf ones). Yup, 15 euros for shipping, but iirc there is a free shipping threshold.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
They fit better than Pantherella at a fraction the price - only issue is no fun patterns for knee high (which are the over the calf ones). Yup, 15 euros for shipping, but iirc there is a free shipping threshold.
Thanks for this! Did you go for the 100% cotton or 100% wool, or did you order the ones with a blend?

Reaction score

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This coat is super nice... worth checking out in person.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of socks. Anyone know where to purchase no show socks to wear with sneakers such as Common Projects? I had a pair of ones from Uniqlo but they were one size fits all and def too small.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grabbed a no brand from Amazon last year. I think 6 pairs in three colours, nicely reinforced no slip heels and truly no show (so the diff. colours are irrelevant , actually). Served me well over multiple wearings in the past 12 or so months.

burgerkong

Reaction score
Not only that, talk about USELESS size guides:

View attachment 2000113

Yeah thought I'd update this, but their shirts are not worth the asking MSRP. And HOLY CRAP are they slim, have to be careful what you're buying and even then, a crapshoot.

On sale, maybe if it's a style S&M doesn't carry or do, but aside from COO, there's no reason to pay that much (as with most things at Rosen) for meh.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah thought I'd update this, but their shirts are not worth the asking MSRP. And HOLY CRAP are they slim, have to be careful what you're buying and even then, a crapshoot.

On sale, maybe if it's a style S&M doesn't carry or do, but aside from COO, there's no reason to pay that much (as with most things at Rosen) for meh.

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads