• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bersabee

Reaction score
So are there any places to get a decent suit (2 piece 2 button) that fits well (i assume after alterations / adjustments) for around $2000 in toronto? So many of the shops mentioned in this thread that seemed promising at first end up sound kinda trash after several more posts.
Suit supply tbh - their new Roma cut is nice.

I’d just say - go in knowing what you want fit wise as they’ll push a skinnier fit

induere_to

Reaction score
Has there been any new updates or news on the progress of this initiative? I'm certain i'm not the only one who's really interested in seeing something like this.

After going through like a hundred pages of this thread and getting my hopes up only to find out some ten pages later that the shop / business practices / workmanship actually sucks has been a rollercoaster ride.

There aren't many of us, but there are several others yet to possibly reach out to.

So, speaking out of affiliation to the association--which may still be a biased recommendation--there is obviously Sebastian and myself. Sebastian is second generation (his father had a shop for a long time in Yorkville), and is Savile Row trained. His preference is lightweight structure and I think some of my preferences are rubbing off on him. My aesthetic is much softer with a lot of handwork, and completely hand-finished.

Spiros is an older greek tailor that has been on Danforth for decades. Not even sure if he knows he's a part of the association, but two of his apprentices are more active. Andrea and Franklin both studied fashion in school at Ryerson, and were disappointed by learning how to make jackets at poorer quality than Zara. So, they sought out apprenticeships together and work under Spiros. Their aesthetic interests are more aligned with ivy style. They go by Oliver Apparel Group.

Ian used to run his own bespoke company called Tower bespoke, but has since joined a made to measure company called London Bespoke Club. I can't speak much on his behalf because I don't have any affiliation with his employer. But, Ian is a great tailor, he's very precise in his pattern cutting and does thorough in-depth research into old, forgotten methods of bespoke tailoring.

Tony Tran, whom I apprenticed under (still do, somewhat, I suppose, though our work and our interests are increasingly separating), is a third generation tailor whose father underwent training in Paris at a Neapolitan school for tailoring. He has been in the industry for a long time and can accommodate any style of preference. He made all the suits for Harvey Specter during his days with Garrison and for Hannibal if that can provide you with any idea of the work he can do.

Yen is a talented tailor and jacket maker that learned his craft in Asia before moving to Canada. He's recently moved to Hamilton and due to his full time occupation, does not take on any bespoke customers. However, I recommend keeping an eye out in case this changes.

Additionally though, not necessarily members of the association because they don't make suits, but we all have great connections with shoemaker Peter Feeney near Dundas and Dupont; and shirt maker Alexandra, who works out of her basement in Scarborough.

There are other bespoke options I have come across that I'd love to make introductions with, though it's not apparent that their interest is mutual. Because I don't know much about their work I am not comfortable to discuss their backgrounds, aesthetics nor level of quality.

EmptyPockets

Reaction score
There aren't many of us, but there are several others yet to possibly reach out to.

So, speaking out of affiliation to the association--which may still be a biased recommendation--there is obviously Sebastian and myself. Sebastian is second generation (his father had a shop for a long time in Yorkville), and is Savile Row trained. His preference is lightweight structure and I think some of my preferences are rubbing off on him. My aesthetic is much softer with a lot of handwork, and completely hand-finished.

Spiros is an older greek tailor that has been on Danforth for decades. Not even sure if he knows he's a part of the association, but two of his apprentices are more active. Andrea and Franklin both studied fashion in school at Ryerson, and were disappointed by learning how to make jackets at poorer quality than Zara. So, they sought out apprenticeships together and work under Spiros. Their aesthetic interests are more aligned with ivy style. They go by Oliver Apparel Group.

Ian used to run his own bespoke company called Tower bespoke, but has since joined a made to measure company called London Bespoke Club. I can't speak much on his behalf because I don't have any affiliation with his employer. But, Ian is a great tailor, he's very precise in his pattern cutting and does thorough in-depth research into old, forgotten methods of bespoke tailoring.

Tony Tran, whom I apprenticed under (still do, somewhat, I suppose, though our work and our interests are increasingly separating), is a third generation tailor whose father underwent training in Paris at a Neapolitan school for tailoring. He has been in the industry for a long time and can accommodate any style of preference. He made all the suits for Harvey Specter during his days with Garrison and for Hannibal if that can provide you with any idea of the work he can do.

Yen is a talented tailor and jacket maker that learned his craft in Asia before moving to Canada. He's recently moved to Hamilton and due to his full time occupation, does not take on any bespoke customers. However, I recommend keeping an eye out in case this changes.

Additionally though, not necessarily members of the association because they don't make suits, but we all have great connections with shoemaker Peter Feeney near Dundas and Dupont; and shirt maker Alexandra, who works out of her basement in Scarborough.

There are other bespoke options I have come across that I'd love to make introductions with, though it's not apparent that their interest is mutual. Because I don't know much about their work I am not comfortable to discuss their backgrounds, aesthetics nor level of quality.

thanks for the update - much appreciated

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isarti is garbage. Made in Italy, but mostly garbage. This is based on my experience of being fitted with a groomsmen suit by them at their vaughan location.

Just look at these people man. lol.

RapFan

Reaction score
Our groomsmen suits were falling apart on first wear. I get groomsmen suits are not meant to be anything special but this was horrendous. They sold my friend on it by the made in napoli tag and it being 100%wool (felt like a wool/poly blend though...)

partenopean

Reaction score
There is a lof ot Made in Italy that is total garbage.

There are several lines that are "made in italy" that are made in places like Bangladesh, Vietnam, African countries (China is too expensive these days, or locked down disrupting supply chains).
The garments are then transported to Italy where either African migrants or Italian old women sew in "Made in Italy" tags.

The carabinieri and Guardia de Finanzia seem to turn a blind eye.

U.S. law states that the last place where the garment is altered (i.e something sewn in) is where the garment was made. Hence the Made in Italy label is legal.

Some made in Italy brands are fighting this by making garments that are more label than garment. Labels stating "100% Italian fabric", "Fabric made entirely in Italy", "Hand-made entirely in Italy", "Made in Italy dal 1974", "Made with Passion and Sprezzatura', "Madonna Santa Maria".......blah blah blah blah blah...

Much of Northern italy in under water now and no wonder nobdy gives a ****.

partenopean

Reaction score
If you wonder the streets of some of the larger Northern Italian tourist towns, there are open-air stores where garments are sold...the locals will pick them up, examine them, and scream "Tchi-nay-zay"......meaning it's a Made in Italy that was made at some location further east....

There was also a Mr Kaizen in Yorkville, that operated a bespoke tailorshop under of the auspices of Don Mario Cribani of Borgo Uomo, who operated under similar principles. The garments were allegedly made by a Toronto tailor, but were really made at some location much further east.

I think Mr Kaizen owed money to people and ran away. Borgo Uomo shut down with the pandemic and is now a barbershop or empty unit or something.

The sad part was Don Mario is one of the few people in Toronto who are classically-trained. He trained in Switzerland in the 1970s, in a place and time where people knew what tailoring was and ought to be.

I still refuse to believe Don Mario could be dishonest, so maybe he was having the wool pulled over his eyes also. Maybe somebody else knows.

Edit-- does anyone know where Mr Kaizen is?

ChatGPT says Mr Kaizen is Toronto's leading fashion and image consultant, so it must be true.

Last edited:

partenopean

Reaction score
Also the Italian extra-virgin olive oil industry works this way.

Most of the Prodotto d'Italia oil is actually from Turkey. There isn't enough acreage of arable land in Italy to produce the amounts. But it is bottled in Italy and adulterated with some Italy oil, and then the labelling is legal. Every is extra-virgin cold first-press, because no heat is involved in any of this process.
it's all because people think anything from italy is better. just like they think anything from China is bad, cheap, inferior, short-cutted.

wasn't there a pizza place inthe Pusateris that sold a 4"X4" slice of pizza for $10, saying the dough was made with water from an artisinal Italian well or somethign? I will pay $100 now for dough made with authentic Bolognese flood water...."acqua de deluve"....replete with busted sewage pipe spill and industrial effluent contimaants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads