• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope. That's in fact higher than EG's retail at today's XE.

giphy.gif
I said they were nice shoes. Not cheap shoes.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bersabee

Reaction score
Agreed, not too many local shoe options here. Robert Jones is an option although they probably have limited stock now that they're winding down. Lost & Found does carry Carmina but very limited sizes (dunno if you can request for them to order specific sizes if you're a smaller dude like me).

I've typically just gone to specific shoe stores that have interested me whenever I go on vacation.
They stopped carrying Carmina but carry Alden now.

Bersabee

Reaction score
Curious to know where you guys get your dress shoes from. I recently picked up a pair from Sons of Henrey and I have tried Meermin but that was a fail.
I’ve had a good experience with A Fine Pair of Shoes (online website).

If you’re looking for good value I recommend looking at Berwick.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious to know where you guys get your dress shoes from. I recently picked up a pair from Sons of Henrey and I have tried Meermin but that was a fail.

Thinking back, two of my pairs were purchased locally (one pair at Leatherfoot back in the day, the other at Saks), while the others were purchased in NYC or at online retailers.

I'm not sure what your price range is, but if it's on the lower end ($400-500), options are slim. Off the top of my head: Spier's leftover stock, Woolridge Shoes for Loake and Sanders (coming soon as per suitforcourt), Sydney's for Loake, Loding (seems like the PATH location is still open), and Harry Rosen if they still carry Cheaney but I don't remember if they still do.

Agreed, not too many local shoe options here. Robert Jones is an option although they probably have limited stock now that they're winding down. Lost & Found does carry Carmina but very limited sizes (dunno if you can request for them to order specific sizes if you're a smaller dude like me).

I've typically just gone to specific shoe stores that have interested me whenever I go on vacation.

To echo Bersabee, I asked Lost & Found back in the fall and they confirmed that they've dropped Carmina. It didn't do well for them.

rwtc

Reaction score
Nice hit piece on instagram.

So the full story was, and this is not a biased account, for which I hope any reasonable individual would consider:

I went to Brenton & Co some summers ago - when the person in question worked at Brenton as a sales associate - with three Attolini jackets for some buttonholes to be done. 2 cashmere, 1 super 150s, 4 buttonholes on each cuff. The end result was:

Holes were different length
Holes weren't even even parallel
Holes had very poor stitching

My only regret was not taking a picture of it.

The entire process took 2-3 months, not "1 week" as what his post seemed to suggest.

I respected his love for tailoring so I didn't share this experience online or write anything negative about said experience. At the end of the day - said person wasn't the one that did the botch job on the three pieces.

Ira (the owner of Brenton) offered to comp, but I still paid the fee in full.

I have never in my life saw such poorly done buttonholes, much less on 3 Attolini pieces. Yes, I was very unhappy, but not to the degree that was sensationalized in the hit piece.

This begs the question - how come the said person never caught the issue in the first place?

I decided to give the shop a second try at Ira's suggestion. So I commissioned something seemingly simple - a skirt for my wife. Unfortunately, the skirt had bubbling due to poor fit, that took four fittings to resolve. This too, should have been more easily rectified. But it was not.

If this person has made you a suit you love and you loved the results, that's perfectly fine. I respect that. However, based on my two interactions while he was working as the sales associate, I did not have positive experiences as outlined above.

It was stated that, all Cucinelli jackets was made from fused glued crap. I provided contrary evidence.

Then it was stated, that Cucinelli could not be seen as a luxury brand, based on deconstructing one garment. I provided a contrary view, one that was fact based and not biased, whereby I provided photos of multiple garments (2 jackets and 2 coats). Moreover, in terms of goose down leather exterior vests, there are pretty much three brands that produce vests of that sort. The person didn't provide further comment. But I think to the reasonable person, if a garment is only made by Kiton / Loro Piana / Cucinelli with materials with higher material cost alongside with better paid employees, would that not make it a more luxurious garment?

Then it was stated, that my belief in the production quality is "false" due to marketing. In my definition of good quality, there is evidence of plenty handmade details, quality fabrics, well paid staff, and more. These traits can be found in countless Cucinelli garments.

I also showed some pictures of handmade double cloth cashmere pieces for interest (two cloths are sewn together and you can see the stitches per my photos), which Cucinelli has produced for a long time. And the other company to do this is Kiton, which in many circles is considered a top notch luxury brand.

The above, combined with the fact that the employees are paid a living wage, makes Cucinelli a desirable, modern, luxury brand.

Last edited:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice hit piece on instagram.

So the full story was, and this is not a biased account, for which I hope any reasonable individual would consider:

I went to Brenton & Co some summers ago - when the person in question worked at Brenton as a sales associate - with three Attolini jackets for some buttonholes to be done. 2 cashmere, 1 super 150s, 4 buttonholes on each cuff. The end result was:

Holes were different length
Holes weren't even even parallel
Holes had very poor stitching

My only regret was not taking a picture of it.

The entire process took 2-3 months, not "1 week" as what his post seemed to suggest.

I respected his love for tailoring so I didn't share this experience online or write anything negative about said experience. At the end of the day - said person wasn't the one that did the botch job on the three pieces.

Ira (the owner of Brenton) offered to comp, but I still paid the fee in full.

I have never in my life saw such poorly done buttonholes, much less on 3 Attolini pieces. Yes, I was very unhappy, but not to the degree that was sensationalized in the hit piece.

This begs the question - how come the said person never caught the issue in the first place?

I decided to give the shop a second try at Ira's suggestion. So I commissioned something seemingly simple - a skirt for my wife. Unfortunately, the skirt had bubbling due to poor fit, that took four fittings to resolve. This too, should have been more easily rectified. But it was not.

If this person has made you a suit you love and you loved the results, that's perfectly fine. I respect that. However, based on my two interactions while he was working as the sales associate, I did not have positive experiences as outlined above.

It was stated that, all Cucinelli jackets was made from fused glued crap. I provided contrary evidence.

Then it was stated, that Cucinelli could not be seen as a luxury brand, based on deconstructing one garment. I provided a contrary view, one that was fact based and not biased, whereby I provided photos of multiple garments (2 jackets and 2 coats). There are pretty much three brands that produce vests of that sort, which was one product category. Further comment was not provided. But I think to the reasonable person, if a garment is only made by Kiton / Loro Piana / Cucinelli with materials with higher material cost alongside with better paid employees, would that not make it a more luxurious garment?

Then it was stated, that my belief in the production quality is "false" due to marketing. In my definition of good quality, there is evidence of plenty handmade details, quality fabrics, well paid staff, and more. These traits can be found in countless Cucinelli garments.

I also showed some pictures of handmade double cloth cashmere pieces for interest (two cloths are sewn together and you can see the stitches per my photos), which Cucinelli has produced for a long time. And the other company to do this is Kiton, which in many circles is considered a top notch luxury brand.

The above, combined with the fact that the employees are paid a living wage, makes Cucinelli a desirable, modern, luxury brand.

I don’t understand.who made the bad buttonholes?

rwtc

Reaction score
I don’t understand.who made the bad buttonholes?

I was told by Ira, the proprietor, that he gave the three jackets to a "third party", who told him that he was very familiar with Attolini's tailoring. Ira said the buttonholes weren't done by the person in question.

The person in question, initially told me in store, that he saw nothing much wrong with it and something along the lines of imperfection is part of the charm of handmade buttonholes. But given these issues, is it really "part of the charm", or a completely botched job?

And later on throughout the 2-3 month ordeal, the said person texted me saying that it was their fault in not catching the issue, but that it was also not really their fault, because the head tailor didn't say anything about it and that he was just a salesperson. So as you may surmise, no apologies were given by the salesperson regarding the job that was done.

I attempted to take back my jackets, promising full payment for the botched job, however I was given excuses after excuses over months, until I informed the shop that I will be coming in to take the jackets regardless of condition.

There is only Ira, Tony, the tailor, perhaps the person in question, and ultimately, God, that would know the identity of the Attolini fan who did the buttonholes in the end.

partenopean

Reaction score
In fact, a lot of wrong information peddled in the forum.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/48UoqdKrAjhXG" width="480" height="357" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Isn't there an entire store (based in Brooklyn) for which this forum is the official shilling website? I need to be careful, badmouthing it may get me banned...

just a friendly note--
Solomeo is a town in Umbria, on the outskirts of Perugia. Umbria is a region in Central Italy. It's not in Puglia, which is the heel, in Southern Italy.

Also, many brands offer down vests.
Mandelli, for instance.

Mandelli cannot be found in Canadian stores.

I believe President Putin is a big fan of down-filled cashmere vests, can often be seen wearing one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads