• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LaymanX

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean technically you COULD wear it. I mean "you do you" right?

But realistically, it's a CLM.

Omega Man

Reaction score
I think it depends on how you wear it and carry yourself.
What about the saying “Dress for the job you want, not the one you’ve got”

Luca Anto

Reaction score
Agree. Even Michael Lewis, In Liars Poker, talks about cufflinks, suspenders, DB suits, etc being reserved for a certain rank.
This is true however I've found that certain rules can be broken. I work in an overly casual office and yet I'm still showing up every day in a 3-piece. In terms of DB. I think it's something that is more of a statement piece for power in an office setting.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is true however I've found that certain rules can be broken. I work in an overly casual office and yet I'm still showing up every day in a 3-piece. In terms of DB. I think it's something that is more of a statement piece for power in an office setting.
I don't think you should listen to advice from the guy wearing a three-piece suite to an "overly casual" office.

There's dressing for the job you want, then there's that.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if you also don't care that you're the best dressed then there's that.
Final Pro-tip: Being the best dressed person in the room isn't ever a bad thing. Peacocking with a three-piece suit the way you are may not be doing you any favours for your career. If one of my staff dressed that way, I'd probably think he lacks self-awareness and good judgment.

This is all just my opinion anyway, because the guy asked about wearing the DB suit.

Last edited:

Luca Anto

Reaction score
Final Pro-tip: Being the best dressed person in the room isn't ever a bad thing. Peacocking with a three-piece suit the way you actually may not doing you any favours for your career. If one of my staff dressed that way, I'd probably think he lacks self-awareness and good judgment.

This is all just my opinion anyway, because the guy asked about wearing the DB suit.
Ok I'm tired of everyone acting like everything I say is bad thing and not understanding what I'm actually trying to say. Yes I've made mistakes but maybe I'm not being clear enough. I will say this. Wear what ever you want unless there is a strict rule on not wearing it. Everyone's situation is different and everyone has different tastes. Our preferences and choices make us who we are. I wear a 3-piece because I want to; it's not to stand out and I'm not wearing it every day either. Most of the employees dress business functional not even business casual. I wear what I want and if someone complains I tell them off. Most people actually compliment that I do wear it. So ridicule all you want but I stand by what I where and when I wear it.

Spex

Reaction score
I’m interested in hearing from those who have first-hand accounts related to this topic.

I work in an office where you could wear a suit every day or you could wear a sweater and chinos, and neither would really cause anyone to comment or bat an eye.

I did hear about a guy I knew who was told to stop wearing contrast collar shirts at his work since they were “reserved for the executives”.

I’d like to hear more such stories (for fun and perhaps to set me up for success should I find myself at an interview at such a place).

chiggyv

Reaction score
Ok I'm tired of everyone acting like everything I say is bad thing and not understanding what I'm actually trying to say. Yes I've made mistakes but maybe I'm not being clear enough. I will say this. Wear what ever you want unless there is a strict rule on not wearing it. Everyone's situation is different and everyone has different tastes. Our preferences and choices make us who we are. I wear a 3-piece because I want to; it's not to stand out and I'm not wearing it every day either. Most of the employees dress business functional not even business casual. I wear what I want and if someone complains I tell them off. Most people actually compliment that I do wear it. So ridicule all you want but I stand by what I where and when I wear it.

This guy doesn't get it.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay look, I'm not ridiculing you, or at least I don't intend to. If I am coming across that way, I apologize.

Feel free to do what you want, but not every "oh you're wearing a three piece suit" is a compliment. Just be careful not to construe observations on what you're wearing to be compliments.

I also have no idea what business functional means.

Finally, when you say if someone complains you tell them off, I'm getting serious immature, "first job and I read I'm supposed to dress for the CEO job" vibes. Again, this isn't to ridicule you.

There are ways to stand out and dress well without wearing a three piece suit. It's important to dress for your environment. Wear nicely tailored wool pants, a well fitting shirt and a v-neck, cardigans, etc.

Anyways, for others who are reading this might be good to do some more research.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in hearing from those who have first-hand accounts related to this topic.

I work in an office where you could wear a suit every day or you could wear a sweater and chinos, and neither would really cause anyone to comment or bat an eye.

I did hear about a guy I knew who was told to stop wearing contrast collar shirts at his work since they were “reserved for the executives”.

I’d like to hear more such stories (for fun and perhaps to set me up for success should I find myself at an interview at such a place).

As stated. I work for a commercial real estate company. I'm not even sure we have a official dress code really.

Brokers who are new - Suits everyday. Gotta play the part. Otherwise they will get a talking to
Brokers who make a ton of money for the company - Wear whatever you want. Jeans, Chino's or dress pants and a dress shirt. The top producer in the company last year wears dress pants and shirt most times. I see him wearing a suit once in a while

The support staff that includes Admins, IT, Marketing etc - In the DT office they wear mainly dress pants and shirts, skirts, etc. I work in I.T and I go in jeans when I want. I'm not front facing with clients so really they don't care.

It's really depends on the company itself. Obviously working at a Law firm is going to be different from working at a Marketing firm.

I wore a turtleneck today and got mostly positive comments, one guy asked me if it's the 80's lol..

BudFox92

Reaction score
Ok I'm tired of everyone acting like everything I say is bad thing and not understanding what I'm actually trying to say. Yes I've made mistakes but maybe I'm not being clear enough. I will say this. Wear what ever you want unless there is a strict rule on not wearing it. Everyone's situation is different and everyone has different tastes. Our preferences and choices make us who we are. I wear a 3-piece because I want to; it's not to stand out and I'm not wearing it every day either. Most of the employees dress business functional not even business casual. I wear what I want and if someone complains I tell them off. Most people actually compliment that I do wear it. So ridicule all you want but I stand by what I where and when I wear it.[/QUOTE]

What do you where and wear do you work?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member