• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The tom james experience

ROT

Reaction score
I'm being prospected by a Tom James rep. Don't know a thing about the quality of the clothing. They're claiming MTM, good fabrics, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with these folks, yea or nea? I'd like to be well armed for mext Thursday's meeting.

Thanks for any feedback.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I have no personal experience...but judging from the posts of some of those who do, the Tom James reps are salespeople, and just that. There's nothing with being a salesperson, but ultimately you may find that if/when something goes wrong, getting it fixed by them may be a frustrating experience. Sure, they'll be all smiles before/when you place an order, but...
So unless you're truly that short of time wiggle yourself out of buying from Tom James and go to a tailor or MTM program from which you can buy better-quality goods for comparable or even slightly higher prices.

mistahlee

Reaction score
But ... is the rep a charming and beautiful girl who comes to your office, closes the door behind her, accidentally strokes your thigh when taking your measurements, blushes and smiles sweetly but then locks eyes with you, rises slowly to her feet, mashes her mouth hungrily against yours ... ?

ROT

Reaction score
Hmmm, "Jason" doesn't sound like the most feminine moniker.

Thanks to all, I'll ckeck the thread.

ROT

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But ... is the rep a charming and beautiful girl who comes to your office, closes the door behind her, accidentally strokes your thigh when taking your measurements, blushes and smiles sweetly but then locks eyes with you, rises slowly to her feet, mashes her mouth hungrily against yours ... ?
I know what you mean, I have wound up with so many suits as a result of just that tactic.

mistahlee

Reaction score
Suits of clothes, I hope. Â
wink.gif

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are looking for shirts in the Richmond area. Try Crery shirts.
804 285-6768
8801-L three Chopt Rd.

Creery has been in business for many years. It is presently owned by Pearly Gates. Pearly is a veteran of the clothing industry. He had been the top salesman for Troy guild shirtmakers for many years. Pearly is southern Dandy who could charm the American express card out of the tightest wallet. Fortunately Creery makes an excellent shirt at a fair price. They have all of the usual Swatch books.

In this case you will get a true custom made shirt with a paper pattern for the same money you could spend with Tom james.

masterfred

Reaction score
Forum member Boulevardier has used Pearly for custom shirts, and has great things to say about him (he's evidently a real character in addition to being a fine shirtmaker). If I were anywhere near him, I'd check him out too.

ROT

Reaction score
Mr. Gates makes shirts for a friend of mine who has a Big Band; completely forgot about him. Given your feedback as well, I will trek on over to his place. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm thinking about having a sportcoat made (possibly a suit) and that was my main reason for accepting the appointment with the Tom James guy. Nice to know their high end stuff is made by Oxxford. I wonder if it isn't more cost effective to go right ot the source?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Nice to know their high end stuff is made by Oxxford. I wonder if it isn't more cost effective to go right ot the source?
Tom James and Oxxford are owned by the same company. I would be surprised if they offered to different prices for the same garment. But then a lot of business practices surprise me.

JohnR

Reaction score
Tom James can be convenient, but..... Their custom is done by Oxxford but it's not the same the construction as a custom done by a specialty store Oxxford account. The low end garments are made in a factory in Chile that IAG owns. The custom shirts can really be nice, but if you want the truly good stuff go to the same retailer that does the Oxxford and ask to see the Y'Apre hand made shirts they offer. Incredible. Beautiful fabrics that will range from $250 to $500.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom James and Oxxford are owned by the same company.

While Spencer Hays owns both, nothing T. James sells comes from the Oxxford plant in Chicago - nor is anything handmade. If you want custom, and don't want to use us, I would suggest Nathan's on Main St. Also, Michael Chandler (Chandlers) has a shop on Cary St. in Carytown and all of his goods come from the same manufacturers - H. Freeman (not Hickey-Freeman), English American, and Oritsky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads