• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

IssaBoulos

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, hoping for some advice on an R Douglas mtm suit I just picked up.

I feel like the shoulders are too wide, but the gentleman who measured me said he was concerned that if they narrowed them any further the jacket wouldn't look balanced. He said the shoulders are 17" now, he can take them down to 16 or 16.5 but he was a little reluctant.

And I thought the trousers were pretty good until I saw the pic from the back. Don't know exactly what's goiing on there but any advice on how to fix it is appreciated.

Thanks!

20170713_133403.jpg
20170713_133430.jpg
20170713_133823.jpg
20170713_133911.jpg

20170713_133523.jpg

20170607_101838.jpg

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoulders look fine, but why did you button the bottom button?

For mtm, the trousers are messy.
Sleeves also too short.
Jacket looks slightly short.

Can you get a refund?

IssaBoulos

Reaction score
Shoulders look fine, but why did you button the bottom button?

For mtm, the trousers are messy.
Sleeves also too short.
Jacket looks slightly short.

Can you get a refund?
Not sure. That bad?

Just noticed that I buttoned the bottom...no idea why I did that.

papado

Reaction score
Not sure. That bad?

Just noticed that I buttoned the bottom...no idea why I did that.

Jacket doesn't look too terrible (letting out sleeves like half an inch would work) but pants look all kind of crazy. They clearly don't drape well in the back which messes up the whole leg fit. Can't get too technical from here as I'm not an expert, but it doesn't look like a simple alteration will cut it

ericjens7

Reaction score
@IssaBoulos The pants are a mess and would need significant improvements done on the cutting table.
The jacket is a bit of a mess too.
You have sloped shoulders that were not accounted for. And a low right. You have pronounced blades and it looks like the fronts are long and the back is short but I can't fully tell from the way you buttoned it.
It's MTM so honestly you should be thankful that it's even wearable.

buy a painting

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, hoping for some advice on an R Douglas mtm suit I just picked up.

I feel like the shoulders are too wide, but the gentleman who measured me said he was concerned that if they narrowed them any further the jacket wouldn't look balanced. He said the shoulders are 17" now, he can take them down to 16 or 16.5 but he was a little reluctant.

And I thought the trousers were pretty good until I saw the pic from the back. Don't know exactly what's goiing on there but any advice on how to fix it is appreciated.

Thanks!

View attachment 812923 View attachment 812924 View attachment 812926 View attachment 812927

View attachment 812925

View attachment 812928
Trousers are bigger concern. Aren't you wearing them too low?

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
cross post from the RRL thread...Looking for some wisdom from you guys for this suit. Its the indigo seersucker suit that just went on sale and it looked amazing online and while I in no way NEED a suit, I always feel like I should have a high end one on hand for certain occasions. Fabric in person is definitely more refined which I actually don't like, I was hoping it would look darker and uneven as the online pics did. Its definitely a more vibrant shade of indigo blue than expected. Fit off the rack seemed good to me. (ps. ignore the dirty mirror) 20170714_161810.jpg 20170714_161923.jpg 20170714_162120.jpg Thoughts would be appreciated!

Fenderplyr

Reaction score

ThomGault

Reaction score
while I in no way NEED a suit, I always feel like I should have a high end one on hand for certain occasions.
Why do you (or anyone) need a 'high end suit?' Wouldn't a well-fitting suit of good construction be a better goal? And if I needed a suit for "certain occasions," as you say, I would pick neither indigo nor pinstripes, and definitely not seersucker.

ericjens7

Reaction score
Why do you (or anyone) need a 'high end suit?' Wouldn't a well-fitting suit of good construction be a better goal? And if I needed a suit for "certain occasions," as you say, I would pick neither indigo nor pinstripes, and definitely not seersucker.
Listen to thom

PatchedUp

Reaction score
HEY GUYS ;' CLEE-PETEY-GAUII- ALOYSIUS-PATCHEDUP.
I am surprised none of you have read the 'tailors tutorials' or you would have picked up on this.
Click the search ask for 'tailors technical tutorials'' scroll down to 'gaping pockets'.
There is a great deal of information waiting for you there. TRY IT SOME TIME.

I had indeed read the information provided in your post before I posted my initial one, however I was more after general advice as I felt way beyond my depth. I wasn't under the impression that my pockets were particularly gaping. My perception of this thread was that it is intended to guide users who were in need of some active guidance rather than being able to fix their issues by reading (targeted but nonetheless) generic posts - I apologise if I have been misinformed.

bw,

PU

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads