• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

IDvsEGO

Reaction score
Was browsing a local department store and found some medium casual blazers. They only go down to a 38R (my usual size) but the shoulders felt a little broad so I wanted some feedback.

desastre

Reaction score
This is an MTM jacket and trousers from a local tailor. It's my first attempt at MTM. I would welcome feedback on the jacket, trousers and shirt if possible. Thank you.

For reference, I am 5'8" (with these boots on) and 150 lbs.

Zippie1jets

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance for the help. After getting a MTM suit for my first "official" suit after some failure with OTR suits (thanks to your guys help pointing out some flaws)..

For my second suit, tried SuitSupply again to see if I can save some cash, plus got some nice features (i.e. super 130s wool) that would be a lot more MTM.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...n2=styleFit&prefv2=Classic-Sienna&prefv1=Grey

Question is...how does the suit below look? Worth bringing it in for alterations (i.e. sleeves, chest, pants) or should I just return it and go MTM again?

Any tips on what to request if I go to tailor?

EverettHyken

Reaction score
I lurk around this forum all the time, and I'm SO thankful to have found this thread. I'm a Chicagoan, and I have a BIG question. Eric, at The Tailor Shop off LaSalle usually does all my work. He couldn't however solve this. Maybe he just didn't want to be bothered...he gave the lapel a quick press (I wasn't aware lapels were to be ironed)

It's a basic Jack Victor, Loro Piana 130's

I really hope we can diagnose this!

I feel as though it might be the button, but I've replaced it twice now to no avail...

EverettHyken

Reaction score

Was browsing a local department store and found some medium casual blazers. They only go down to a 38R (my usual size) but the shoulders felt a little broad so I wanted some feedback.
For my second post, I can give some advice too I suppose! Don't buy JCPenney blazers and suiting unless it's under $100. If you work a little harder, you can find far better quality for the same price.

IDvsEGO

Reaction score
For my second post, I can give some advice too I suppose! Don't buy JCPenney blazers and suiting unless it's under $100. If you work a little harder, you can find far better quality for the same price.
Agreed.... But these are $18 after clearance and stacking coupons.

EverettHyken

Reaction score
Oh, well in that case, who cares if they're a little off? For that price anything you invest in tailoring is just gravy! If they have the same jackets in 38S get those instead. Otherwise just have the sleeves shortened and the blades/side seams taken in.

You should definitely have someone cut the cuffs and add functional button holes too. For 80 bucks you can make it look custom! No one will be the wiser.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a sport coat with working buttonholes and the arms are slightly long. I don't trust my tailor to alter the sleeves from the shoulder (and don't want to spend the $) so was wondering if it's:

• an easy fix to shorten from cuff
  • enough room if I need approx 0.5" shorter

Below are pictures of the cuff from outside and folded up to show the inside. It's about 1.5" from the last button to the end.

Thanks.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is an MTM jacket and trousers from a local tailor. It's my first attempt at MTM. I would welcome feedback on the jacket, trousers and shirt if possible. Thank you. For reference, I am 5'8" (with these boots on) and 150 lbs.
The front-back balance might be slightly off. The collar roll needs to be fixed. The pants seem to need some letting out at the seat and don't hang well at the hamstrings. Posture might be the cause of all that. There's potential for a good end result, though the pants might be stuck at their slightly short length. Edit: local tailor, huh? More people should do that instead of ordering remotely, which almost never ends well.

Last edited:

qcomp

Reaction score
This is my first MTM attempt. My main concern is the jacket. When I first received the suit, there was considerable pulling around the front button and a bit of collar roll in the back. The jacket was let out approximately 2.75" from the center and side seams to fix the pulling. The collar roll was fixed by pushing the excess fabric up under the collar. The pulling and collar roll are gone, however, now the back of the jacket appears to be too baggy and sliver of felt is showing beneath the collar.

Input would be greatly appreciated! For references I'm 6' 0" 175lbs.

TCB454

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. Took a plunge on a BB 1818 Fitzgerald cut in charcoal, which I got off of the B&S forum (also a first) Not very happy with the fit of the jacket in the shoulders/across the back, would appreciate input as to possible fixes. Pretty sure the ad said "no returns," but I'm happy just to kick it on down the road to someone else if altering it would mean major surgery.

Obviously, buying online is tricky, but I live in an area that doesn't have much in the way of menswear stores with decent selection, or at least acceptable value for the price. Fortunately, right now, I don't have cause to wear a suit very much, so I can afford to be patient and get the fit right.

One oddity: the right shoulder of this suit feels like it has significantly more padding in it than the left. I thought I was imagining it at first.

Me: 6' 1/2", 195lbs. 10+ years and counting as a competitive swimmer means I have big lats, big upper back, slightly forward shoulders. This, I think, is the root of my problem in this case? Hope the pics are adequate.

Cheers

- Taylor

Last edited:

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Tailors, would appreciate some information and knowledge for the next time I attempt a MTM.

This suit is primarily for events, weddings, dinners. Something more modern and less traditional, unlike my work suits.

I'm happy with the suit in most respects, but I wonder how to get rid of the horizontal bunching on the pants, without increasing the width of the hips/seat/thighs and losing the slim fit look. I notice that if I stick my butt out more and arch my back, the wrinkles go away. Is this postural?

Any other observations?

Few quick disclaimers:
- Excuse the shirt, was all I had at this residence
- Suit is in bad need of a press, traveled with it. If the pics are too affected by it I will take others.

Any advice, gents?

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Hi Tailors, would appreciate some information and knowledge for the next time I attempt a MTM.

This suit is primarily for events, weddings, dinners. Something more modern and less traditional, unlike my work suits.

I'm happy with the suit in most respects, but I wonder how to get rid of the horizontal bunching on the pants, without increasing the width of the hips/seat/thighs and losing the slim fit look. I notice that if I stick my butt out more and arch my back, the wrinkles go away. Is this postural?

Any other observations?

Few quick disclaimers:
- Excuse the shirt, was all I had at this residence
- Suit is in bad need of a press, traveled with it. If the pics are too affected by it I will take others.

I'm commenting on this because the bulk of my business is MTM so I have a few things I can say about this and MTM in general...

Something is off with the seat shape and/or hip posture. Or a combination of the two.
you need to talk to your tailor or seller and determine what the cause might be. It's not entirely easy to assess.
Also, the required fix isn't easy to assess.
The seat may need to be let out in order to be made straighter. Then it would be too loose. To take in the slack but still keep it straight, the hips needs to be taken in at the back part only.
Then the back part of the thigh may need to be let out along with the back rise being lowered.
Does that sound complicated? Well it is. It's a big job, too.
And it might not even be the right fix...hard to discern from photos and not knowing what went into the suit design etc.

I hope that helps though I know it probably doesn't.

desastre

Reaction score
The front-back balance might be slightly off. The collar roll needs to be fixed. The pants seem to need some letting out at the seat and don't hang well at the hamstrings. Posture might be the cause of all that. There's potential for a good end result, though the pants might be stuck at their slightly short length.

Edit: local tailor, huh? More people should do that instead of ordering remotely, which almost never ends well.
Thank you so much for the feedback! After I posted the my pictures, I went back quite a few pages and saw some of the same issues with other gentlemen's suits and sort of figured out what is going on with mine. Also learned a little bit about my posture. I hadn't noticed the balance off, but after reading your comments and researching a bit I think I see what you're referring to. The front of the jacket is a bit longer than the back, and because of my left shoulder (actually whole left side it looks like), the left side is lower when looking at me from the back.

How big are these adjustments? Meaning, the collar roll, and the balance. I don't mean in terms of cost, but in terms of how much it can mess with other parts of the jacket, since in my opinion it looks pretty good from the front.

I have 2 inches of fabric on the trouser's hem. I think that's enough to be made a bit longer? If someone can comment on the boots, do they look too 'beefy' for the width of the trouser legs? I'm going to be getting the Allen Edmonds 5th Ave. this month, so I'll probably have an 1/2 to 1 inch let out at the hem of the pants. I was already going to get the shoes, but after looking at the pictures I think the boots are too bulky for this fit. What do you gentlemen think about that? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads