• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

stufferino

Reaction score
Hi again -- I got the suit back from the tailor and wanted to check in about the fit.
Thanks again for the advice, @Despos

Important alterations were to arms being lengthened (that's as much as he could go), the pants cuffed, and had the lapel re-pressed into a 3-roll-2.
I guess the suit jacket is a little short but hopefully not too much? Overall think the fit is good if not perfect -- arms are a little puckery, same with with back of pants and right shoulder. But think this is minor? Shoulders and general shape seem good, but open to comments otherwise. Overall think I'm happy for results from a thrifted suit.

Work was done by Kabbani Tailor on the Upper West Side of NYC

(Please ignore the silly socks)

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

And here was fit before going to tailor:
IMG_5749.JPG

Find a competent tailor to lengthen the sleeves. Very difficult and time consuming to remove the faux buttonholes on the sleeves. Easy to damage the cloth. Don't expect the cloth to recover from the stitches. Very often leaves an impression that won't come out with steaming and pressing. Especially on lighter weight cloth.
You will be lucky if there is enough cloth that you need to get the best sleeve length. Will be necessary to add cloth as a facing to turn up the sleeve hem. There won't be enough length on the lining either. That will probably need to have a piece added.
Shoulders are not too wide and would be a big mistake to make them any more narrow.
Jacket looks short, not long.
Cannot see anything from the back photo so can't comment.

bde

Reaction score
I picked up a suit at the thrift store recently, and I would like to get some feedback on the fit. Please make any tailoring suggestions! Obviously the pants need to be hemmed.

Is it worth tailoring, or should I donate it?

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpeg
    IMG_2027.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_6861.jpeg
    IMG_6861.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 150

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Looks workable to me. Clean up the back, sleeves hemmed. Back of the arms may be a bit concerning, but I guess it's fixable. Front looks pretty decent, though again arms give me pause. Bring it to a tailor and see what they say, yeah? Don't see a lot of 6x1. Charcoal, peak, definitely looks like nice stuff to me.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I picked up a suit at the thrift store recently, and I would like to get some feedback on the fit. Please make any tailoring suggestions! Obviously the pants need to be hemmed.

Is it worth tailoring, or should I donate it?
Looks at least one size too big

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So can nothing be done?
do you like the way it fits? Seems too big to me. Too much cloth across the chest and back blades. Shoulders are too wide. Take it to a tailor and ask what he would change and how much it would cost.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all - looking for some feedback for my next shirt:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The company I ordered from suggested the following:

1. Decrease yoke by 0.5"
2. Add to shoulder bone 0.5"
3. We can make sleeve cap longer by 0.25"
4. Lower the armhole by 0.25"
5. Increase back from just below armpit by 0.25" on each side

dougc33

Reaction score
do you like the way it fits? Seems too big to me. Too much cloth across the chest and back blades. Shoulders are too wide. Take it to a tailor and ask what he would change and how much it would cost.
My tailor would be at least $100 for all that work - Anderson-Little was a Jos-A-Bank-like retailer back in the day (are they still in business?) so think the general quality of the suit is likely middle of the road. So if you like the suit enough to spend $100+ then go for it!

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a tuxedo dinner jacket made, I tried a sample my tailor had in navy blue and thought the fit was great, but wanted it made in black.

IMG_2726.jpeg

It’s arrived a bit baggier and needs some alterations, other than the following, what should I ask to be adjusted to mimic the fit of the navy jacket? I hope it can be achieved..

IMG_2704.jpeg

- shorten the jacket slightly
- slim the sleeves (from elbow down)
- take it in the body / suppress the waist
- fix the collar roll (can’t see the back)

Don’t worry about the pants, they are far too short and because of that they appear overly tapered (they are not)

Last edited:

Buckeye5378

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just received a first-iteration suit from an MTM maker in the DC area. I really need some help with feedback to give the alterers to improve the fit. Or maybe there are issues that would require a remake; I'm not sure. Here are the photos:

Off the bat, the things I noticed:
- the suit could be slimmer in the waist/chest
- the area under the armpits has some excess fabric, seen when I lift my arms to the side. I know some is needed, but I'm not sure if it is too baggy.
- there is some bunching in the pants when I stand. Too slim?
- perhaps slightly lengthen the legs
- my natural posture has a slightly puffed chest, and maybe the lapels are pulling?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm fairly new to this. This will be my main suit for my new job, which will require some high-level stakeholder presentations. I would really appreciate any feedback, no matter how harsh!

Last edited:

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty good first go at MTM to be honest. There may be some tweaks, but I wouldn't worry too much.

My first concern would be the sleeves. I can't tell from the photo if it's a pitch issue or something else, but I'd want to remove the waves across the upper arm.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just received a first-iteration suit from an MTM maker in the DC area. I really need some help with feedback to give the alterers to improve the fit. Or maybe there are issues that would require a remake; I'm not sure. Here are the photos:

Off the bat, the things I noticed:
- the suit could be slimmer in the waist/chest
- the area under the armpits has some excess fabric, seen when I lift my arms to the side. I know some is needed, but I'm not sure if it is too baggy.
- there is some bunching in the pants when I stand. Too slim?
- perhaps slightly lengthen the legs
- my natural posture has a slightly puffed chest, and maybe the lapels are pulling?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm fairly new to this. This will be my main suit for my new job, which will require some high-level stakeholder presentations. I would really appreciate any feedback, no matter how harsh!

Looks super nice.

Buckeye5378

Reaction score
It's a pretty good first go at MTM to be honest. There may be some tweaks, but I wouldn't worry too much.

My first concern would be the sleeves. I can't tell from the photo if it's a pitch issue or something else, but I'd want to remove the waves across the upper arm.
Looks super nice.
Thank you both. I'll try asking about the sleeves - maybe there is just too much fabric or something. I'm a tall/big guy so I am expecting some fabric to drape, but maybe that will be fixable.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
For a first go at MTM, without alterations, it's pretty good.

I am unsure of the precise situation, but it strikes me as odd for you to need to tell the tailor/fitter _how_ to solve a problem. Surely you can point out the issues and they can come up with solutions. They're a professional and this is your first time, right? Obviously sometimes this is wishful thinking, but that says a lot about the fitter's ability to do their job, for which you are paying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads