• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hello PS
the problems here will always come up on a rtw suit for you.

the coat is an inch too short.
you have aright low shoulder that is causing the right hip to ride high.
you may want to pad that shoulder and let out the right hip.
there is that hump of cloth in back below the collar.
that needs to have the back shortened at the top.
on the trousers the high hip is puling the trouser to the right, see the back view.
the center back seam needs to be re shaped. and, shortened at the top.
the legs are too narrow for you. you have heavy caffs see how they pull at the caffs.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

First time posting for feedback. Suit is a Sienna from Suitsupply in 42L. No alterations. Thinking it might be too long for me. I appreciate all feedback. Thanks!

yes its at least an inch and a quarter too long.
sleeves are too long too.

lalaland

Reaction score
Psylentstorm - I saw on your photoalbum it says that this was made by Richard Lim at High Society. Can you tell us more about your experience there? I was considering him myself as I am in L.A.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'd like to get some feedback on the fit of this suit. It's my first attempt at MTM. My main issue is with the collar/shoulder area -- I have a feeling the balance is off for my posture, and that's what's causing some of the bunching. What do you think?

the coat should be an inch and a half longer.
the balance should be changed to an erect posture.

if you order again, inform them.
also send them these pictures.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi, gang.  Newbie here who could use a bit of advice on the jacket below.

A few things I noticed that don't need repeating (unless I'm wrong):

-Sleeves are too short
-Jacket needs to be ~1" longer
-Jacket waist is a little tight

What else should be different about this jacket for it to fit better?  Why are there creases on the upper part of the sleeve?  Or the indentation below my right shoulder in the front view?  (Chest too narrow?)

Thanks for the help.

yes the sleeves are too short.
jacket needs an inch longer.
waist looks ok, does it feel tight?

the front view says that you have a right low shoulder.
thats the problem, its also why the right hip is too tight.

the back view seems to say the left shoulder is low.
are you standing crooked?

the sleeves are hanging at a different angle than
your arms. they would need to be removed and rehung.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for our tailors. I usually wear a short RTW jacket length (I'm 5'7"). However, regular length waist position/button stance usually looks better on me (but that obviously makes the jacket too long). Since it looks like I'll have to keep buying RTW stuff for a while and I'm gonna need some new stuff for the summer, do you think it's worth it to buy regular length jackets instead of short, then have the sleeves and skirt shortened? The other option would be to get short length, then have the tailor reshape the waist a bit; however I think it'd look weird because button stance can't be changed.

I just with I could find lower waist and button stances within my affordable price range, but no luck yet...

PsylentStorm

Reaction score
Psylentstorm - I saw on your photoalbum it says that this was made by Richard Lim at High Society. Can you tell us more about your experience there? I was considering him myself as I am in L.A.

For me, he's well worth the money. Maybe I'm being nice, but I think I'm the one to blame for issues with the suit. That suit was my first shot at either MTM or bespoke, so I wasn't fully aware of what I was getting myself into, and more importantly, what I wanted (both from him and for myself). I plan on going to Richard again for my wedding suit, and I'll have a much better idea of what I'm asking for.

In general, it was an extremely positive experience. Incredibly helpful, and he was well aware I didn't really know what I was doing. After being measured, the basted fitting came about 1-2 weeks after, with the final fitting a week after that. As I said, I was extremely new to everything, so I kind of rushed myself out of there, so I didn't provide much feedback when I was there, something I truly regret. I know he was have no issues catering to my feedback... I came back a week after the suit was finished and requested to raise the jacket sleeves a bit. At the time I thought they were too long, but now that I think about it they were probably just right. I guess you can blame him for not arguing against doing so, but at the same time, it fits what others have said here that he's the tailor that will do anything you ask of him. Additionally, I kind of blame myself in that I don't think I stood as naturally as I could have when I was being measured.

Including the fabric, the whole thing cost me $950. I know that's double TaT, but I figure with a basted fitting and free adjustments (when I requested to raise the sleeves - which I'm going to ask him to pull back down - it was free of charge), it seems pretty damn worth it to me. He seems to be a lot friendlier with his prices if you say you plan on going back to him, which I fully intend to in a couple of weeks.

hello PS
the problems here will always come up on a rtw suit for you.

the coat is an inch too short.
you have aright low shoulder that is causing the right hip to ride high.
you may want to pad that shoulder and let out the right hip.
on the trousers the high hip is puling the trouser to the right, see the back view.
the center back seam needs to be re shaped. and, shortened at the top.
the legs are too narrow for you. you have heavy caffs see how they pull at the caffs.

Thanks for the feedback! My shoulder imbalance isn't something I caught until I took those pictures.

Last edited:

mobobs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a great deal on this zegna suit but I just don't know if its my size. Basically, this is my problem. My chest measures 40 inches, but I normally wear a size 38 because I like a slim fit. The shoulders and chest on a 38 are usually a bit too tight. After trying on this size 40R, it is more comfortable, but it just seems too big all around.

Any suggestion on what to do to make it fit right?
Also, from the pics, can you tell if I have sloped shoulders? I've always been a bit curious about that but I can't tell for the life of me :)

Thanks in advance!

Any suggestions? Are the shoulders okay on this one or should I just go with the size 38?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes its about an inch and a half too long.

Could you elaborate on this one a bit? I know that the thumb knuckle guide is imperfect but it seems to have been pretty reliable based on previous examples in this thread, and his coat seems to be right there.

Last edited:

Dorian J.

Reaction score
repost.

Last edited:

rs232

Reaction score

(Click for larger version)

Unhemmed. Pockets are all cut and made (though wrinkled and in need of pressing), lapels padded. Sleeve cut and pinned on for fun with big inlays, but of no real use until I get the scye 100% firm. Shoulders are still wide, but I'm reluctant to cut the inlay off before I resolve the back problems. Trouble is, when I let the back out, to try to eliminate wrinkles, I look like a giant cylinder because the back no longer conforms to the lumbar area. Am I distributing the suppression at that seam incorrectly between the back and front pieces?

DnFtK.jpg

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you can see the tags are still on, so I was seeking some feedback of whether to keep it or whether to return it (and possibly size down). It is a 44R, so would a 42 work or maybe a 44/42 S? I don't have much money (I'm a student), so I wanted to be sure that if I bought something, it fits pretty well. Any other feedback on the blazer is appreciated!

Personally, I was concerned about the midsection/back/shoulders. But I'm far from a know-it-all. Quite the opposite.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will get more useful feedback if you post full-length pictures. That's the only way anyone can get a good sense of overall proportions.

rs232

Reaction score

Click for large size.

Executed alterations as marked in red from previous post. The problem was largely the disproportionate suppression distribution on the front versus the back, and that the back was 1cm too long just above where the ribcage ends. Also shrunk out the blobby bit between the upper shoulder blades. Going to sew up the side and start working on paring down the scye and installing the sleeve.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member