• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too tight. Can barely walk. Every step feels restricted. Diagonal lines from front knees to rear of trousers.

It is the back rise at the crotch that needs to be increased, right?

Let out the crotch .75" - 1". would be surprised if there is that much outlet to work with. Let out the seat as much as possible

Are these RTW, MTM or custom made for you?

You need a bigger seat measure.

If this is RTW, buy the size that fits your seat and have the waist taken in. Don't fit the waist and think you can let out the seat.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Let out the crotch .75" - 1". would be surprised if there is that much outlet to work with. Let out the seat as much as possible

If this is RTW, buy the size that fits your seat and have the waist taken in. Don't fit the waist and think you can let out the seat.

Luxire MTM, fourth iteration of a pair of trousers I sent to India.

Let out the crotch = increasing back rise at crotch?

Let out the seat = ?

If not taken too much time of yours, Despos, what do these expression mean in terms of front/back rise.

I always appreciate your input, especially from an educational point of view. Thanks in advance.

TMWilson

Reaction score
I work in a menswear store and have a client that purchased a suit and has since brought it back as he is unhappy with the fit. He doesn't like that the chest is collapsing on his right side, and that the fabric of the sleeve is pinching in the underarm. I've attached a photo of his left side (which sits cleanly) as well as the right side (which is presenting the problems).

Does anybody know what could be causing this, and what the potential fix would be?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20221208_190535.jpg
    20221208_190535.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20221208_190539.jpg
    20221208_190539.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 131

A-Lawson

Reaction score
I work in a menswear store and have a client that purchased a suit and has since brought it back as he is unhappy with the fit. He doesn't like that the chest is collapsing on his right side, and that the fabric of the sleeve is pinching in the underarm. I've attached a photo of his left side (which sits cleanly) as well as the right side (which is presenting the problems).

Does anybody know what could be causing this, and what the potential fix would be?

Thanks in advance!
Saw this video recently, dealing with this exact problem.

Short clarification: Sloped shoulders, risky and expensive alteration (depending on skill and the armhole must be big enough).

JTrent82

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
I'm not a tailor but I have this problem with OTR jackets and it's because of a sloped right shoulder.

TMWilson

Reaction score

Short clarification: Sloped shoulders, risky and expensive alteration (depending on skill and the armhole must be big enough).

Thanks for the response! I was thinking that this could be the case, but I forgot to mention that he purchased another suit from us and this one didn't have the same issue. They're both our house brand, but I can't guarantee the construction is the same as we're selling suits for about $450~ USD, so they're not super consistent across styles.

Anything else you could possibly think of? Or is it just an unfortunate situation?

JTrent82

Reaction score

I've actually had pretty good luck with having my alterations tailor add padding to the right shoulder. Not expensive, but obviously the armhole needs enough leeway to raise up.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
I've actually had pretty good luck with having my alterations tailor add padding to the right shoulder. Not expensive, but obviously the armhole needs enough leeway to raise up.
You're right, that is a "bypass" without changing the slope of the shoulder seam, unless the slope is too severe, and you'd need a stack of sponges to fix it.

Thanks for the response! I was thinking that this could be the case, but I forgot to mention that he purchased another suit from us and this one didn't have the same issue. They're both our house brand, but I can't guarantee the construction is the same as we're selling suits for about $450~ USD, so they're not super consistent across styles.

Anything else you could possibly think of? Or is it just an unfortunate situation?
By the looks of it, we're talking more than an inch that needs to be taken in at the outer edge of the shoulder seam. Impossible to know without pinning it. Most likely this would reduce the armhole by too much. Quite a severe quality-control issue, I have to say, if that is the case.

It seems to me that the collar sits pretty far away from the neck the picture. Is he wearing a scarf, while some of the scarf is under the jacket or something?

Professor_3

Reaction score

Is it best to go up one size? I’ve always wondered how much the waist can be taken in.

Nytailor

Reaction score
Lose the battle and win the war. This jacket will never fit. either return his money or give him a new one. This way you have a chance to keep a client. Keep messing with a jacket that will never fit properly and you'll lose him

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree with Nytailor.
Besides the fitting issue, the fused construction contributes to this and can't be improved. If you did the work to make it right you might please the customer while losing money.

TMWilson

Reaction score
Agree with Nytailor.
Besides the fitting issue, the fused construction contributes to this and can't be improved. If you did the work to make it right you might please the customer while losing money.

Out of curiosity, what makes you believe the jacket to be fused? I only ask because we've been told they're half-canvassed, and I can pull the separate layers apart in the chest. That being said, I understand you're incredibly knowledgeable and experienced, so am more than happy to take this opportunity to learn something if you believe it's fused.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what makes you believe the jacket to be fused? I only ask because we've been told they're half-canvassed, and I can pull the separate layers apart in the chest. That being said, I understand you're incredibly knowledgeable and experienced, so am more than happy to take this opportunity to learn something if you believe it's fused.
Entire front panel is fused and the half canvass/chest piece applied over the fusing. That's how it's done.
Half canvass is just a chest piece on a fused front.
This issue is partly the fit and part construction.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a linen - wool Drago made up.
1670678907874.png

1670678991411.png

Feel that the pattern alignment of the front should have been more rotated. Looking the 2nd pic, if the left was rotated clockwise, and the right anti-clockwise, the vertical lines would be more vertical and the horizontal lines (1st pic) in the front would be more horizontal.

Any thing that can be done now, besides buying more fabric and getting a new front made?

What happens if I lose weight? Will this make things better?
Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads