• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

maybe even a 9, most AEs fit relatively true to brannock device sizing, but that also depends on the last.

But I've never worn anything smaller than a 9, and that includes CP, Alden, other clunky boots, etc

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two recent purchases I got during the post holiday sales.

1. Trickers tan chukka boots, exclusive for ASOS. Paid about $245 and they are my first Trickers so I am anxious to try them out and see if they are worth the hype.

2. Band of Outsiders black captoes with brogue detailing. From The Corner and I got the last pair that just happened to be my size (13) for $230. Other then some black boots, I don't wear the color as much as I used to but figured this would be a good go to pair to own.

I'll post pics of them when they arrive if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

AmericoneDream

Reaction score
Jumped on the MOMA bandwagon. Pretty happy with these for the price (200ish + shipping from YOOX)

How versatile is this pair? Really like em and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger but am afraid that it might not work well casually with just jeans and a t shirt. I'm thinking a more distressy/suede pair in brown or grey would be easier to pull off casually. For example this pair http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/MOMA/dept/men/tskay/3FD17CD7/rr/1/cod10/44371812FS/sts/sr_men80

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I need some boots for NYC winter - might as well jump on the hiking boot wagon... I am debating between the more fashiony Merells and Danner below versus just getting some real hiking boots. Probably not going to do Diemmes which are bit more "fashion" oriented or Vibergs which are a bit "meh".

Any other suggestions? Realistically I am not 100% on this hiking boot thing, and wouldn't mind some shearling boots with serious technical soles or something similar for winter...

Should I do Merrell Wilderness Canyons in Olive? They look nice, the price is right ($200). I wish the soles were a bit more hardcore.

Danner Mountain Lights in Chromexcel - $425 so pricey as hell. Soles look cheap and crappy, but the leather is nice.

Zamberlan Vioz GTs - serious boots, not too bad looking, especially if I re-lace them in red

Scarpa SL M3s - another serious pair, maybe a good compromise in looks between looking too technical?

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't go with Merrell Wilderness Canyons. Seen them in person looks cheap as hell Made in China too

mystillwater

Reaction score

So I need some boots for NYC winter - might as well jump on the hiking boot wagon... I am debating between the more fashiony Merells and Danner below versus just getting some real hiking boots. Probably not going to do Diemmes which are bit more "fashion" oriented or Vibergs which are a bit "meh".

Any other suggestions? Realistically I am not 100% on this hiking boot thing, and wouldn't mind some shearling boots with serious technical soles or something similar for winter...

Should I do Merrell Wilderness Canyons in Olive? They look nice, the price is right ($200). I wish the soles were a bit more hardcore.

Danner Mountain Lights in Chromexcel - $425 so pricey as hell. Soles look cheap and crappy, but the leather is nice.

Zamberlan Vioz GTs - serious boots, not too bad looking, especially if I re-lace them in red

Scarpa SL M3s - another serious pair, maybe a good compromise in looks between looking too technical?

The Merrells are basically an imported knockoff of the Danners.. i've got Mountain Lights and i think they may never wear out. Seriously well made (in the US). although i probably wouldn't wear them as fashion statement, i love the way they look and don't hesitate to recommend them for backpacking and in-climate weather. they are one solid piece of leather (even the tongue) and are totally re-craftable.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ If you are looking for the "good price" with "hardcore sole" go with North Face Ballard boots at $165. Their soles are designed just for North Face by Vibram IIRC and is probably much better than the Cristy sole.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+ If you are looking for the "good price" with "hardcore sole" go with North Face Ballard boots at $165. Their soles are designed just for North Face by Vibram IIRC and is probably much better than the Cristy sole.

Thanks - they do look promising.

As for the Danners, they look pretty nice, but realistically if I was going to buy hiking boots for actual hiking, I'd just use my Scarpas which are actually used on serious ascents all the time rather than what I consider a "heritage" maker. I saw a thread where people were talking about Vibergs being so much over-built compared to Scarpas, but that is because Scarpa is actively trying to lighten their boots to actually make them manageable for long, serious hikes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads