• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SF Brazillian Jiujitsu Thread - fans, competitors, filthy casuals, all are welcome

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Styleforum Events - Alfargos
Reaction score
Anyone watching the Las Vegas CJI tournament? Good show so far but now we have a freak show fight worthy of the worst of Pride. Not a good look if you're trying to get people to take the sport seriously.
Oh boy, who is that? I just got back from being on the road.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craig jones vs Gabi Garcia

The whole thing was a sexualized joke
lol - I thought that that was just a standing joke. I watched the Nicky Rod Adam whatever match,which ended super predictably, and brought back PTSD of the number of times I got darce choked in my last training session by a much younger, fitter, stronger, better, competitive black belt (and I train 99% of the time in the gi, and the sports are different). Turns out that I also had COVID (tested positive and became symptomatic that night after practice), so that probably did not help things at all. I also started watching the Felipe Andrew match before I fell asleep. I'll watch the replay today, but I am a bit scared of the Craig Jones/Gabi Garcia fight being cringey. The commentators were trying to put a good spin on it, but they seemed... apprehensive as well.

I did watch the Meragali/Michael Pickley ADCC fight which ended with the darce of Meragali when Pickley injured his shoulder. That guy is a beast.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This last weekend was so good for Jiu Jitsu.

Babyshark impressed the hell out of me. Pato is clear 2nd best in the world. Pato is a guy im goin to be studying a ton. That 66kg division was FULL of killers.

Happy for Kade and Gabby, Natty Rod had a stellar performance.

CJI I hope is sustainable . They will have to keep it as a non profit and how long will craig and his team want to keep doing it ?

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Craig jones vs Gabi Garcia

The whole thing was a sexualized joke

It was a lighthearted great moment. The first time in Gabi's career she was cheered for.

The event was great. ADCC had good divisions 66 through 88. The bigger weight divisions werent great aside from a few standouts. We need less time on the clock for those ones.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some really good matches on CJI, Ffion Davies super fight was awesome. I feel like if they can keep up momentum it could be a great ongoing tournament.
Ffion is just such a strong competitor. I was a bit disappointed by the Levi v Kade fight, but it’s hard to fault either player for their games. Favorite sub was the knee slicer that Roberto Jimenez pulled out on Josef Chen. I guess that catch wrestling works. It’s a sub that I used regularly as a blue belt. As @razorfrazer can probably confirm, moves go into and out of your arsenal as you go through your jiujitsu journey, and I think that that one will go back in against strong guards. Thinking about it, it might be possible from guard as well.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a lighthearted great moment. The first time in Gabi's career she was cheered for.

The event was great. ADCC had good divisions 66 through 88. The bigger weight divisions werent great aside from a few standouts. We need less time on the clock for those ones.
Agree on Gabi and Craig after having watched it.

The higher weight categories at ADCC are often boring unless you love collar ties and slaps.

Reaction score
Welcome. We have, as far as I know, black belts (@razorfrazer), brown belts (me, also a spiritual white belt, apparently), and blue belt (@admin - also a spiritual black belt), and now apparently, a purple belt. I'm sure that there is a white belt in here too.

Everyone is welcome here.

My only notable accomplishments in BJJ are 1) Staying around so long, 2) Getting murked by numerous top tier guys. Put it this way, if a top 5 MMA grappler tells you "Your defense is pretty good", it means that you were a reactive, and therefore more useful, training dummy for the entirety of the round.

Another blue belt here. Waiting for a sternum injury to heal before getting back to it. Hoping to get my purple within a year from restarting training, but I also crosstrain with climbing, lifting, and yoga to keep the injuries down so mat time is rationed.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another blue belt here. Waiting for a sternum injury to heal before getting back to it. Hoping to get my purple within a year from restarting training, but I also crosstrain with climbing, lifting, and yoga to keep the injuries down so mat time is rationed.
Welcome. May I ask... how? I've had shoulder, neck, rib, knee, injuries, and even had a good friend break my back (okay, I am terrible and breakfalling, so my fault as well), and he in turn has his back broken, and is on the DL list right now, since his has apparently not healed up as well. And my shoulders are perennially injured. But a sternum injury is new to me.

i know all about more limited mat time. I'm now under a month from 50, and keeping up with the up and coming purple belts is tough. The 280 lbers, no matter the belt, are no picnic either.

Reaction score
Welcome. May I ask... how? I've had shoulder, neck, rib, knee, injuries, and even had a good friend break my back (okay, I am terrible and breakfalling, so my fault as well), and he in turn has his back broken, and is on the DL list right now, since his has apparently not healed up as well. And my shoulders are perennially injured. But a sternum injury is new to me.

i know all about more limited mat time. I'm now under a month from 50, and keeping up with the up and coming purple belts is tough. The 280 lbers, no matter the belt, are no picnic either.

This was from a car accident, actually. My sternum bruised from the force of being caught by the seat belt going about 45 mph and it's taken months to heal. Can't even lift anything over ten pounds right now, so rolling is out for sure. I'll work back into it with yoga, then lifting, then climbing, then training again once I can. Aiming for October at this point.

From bjj, I've had a torn ACL, torn MCL, torn Achilles (partially), a broken nose, and a whole bunch of broken ribs. A slew of concussions from training muay Thai for a bit as well. Most of the major ones were takedown-related, it seems judo is good for that.

I'm one of those old cagey blue belts with a nasty guard and solid escapes but not enough longevity at one school to get my purple yet. But then again, I'm also one of the slightly unstable 160-ish pound stoner dudes that loves rolling with the large/tall humans and the wrestlers. Essentially I aspire to be Jeff Glover without the racism.:D

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted a while but I can't avoid the combination of SF and BJJ lol
Pato is a guy im goin to be studying a ton.
Pato has such nice lapel and foot lock game (and also a chill person). He's so adept with it as he's been doing it since blue belt according to Cicero guys.

Still use a specific guard retention technique he showed years ago.

I was a bit disappointed by the Levi v Kade fight, but it’s hard to fault either player for their games. Favorite sub was the knee slicer that Roberto Jimenez pulled out on Josef Chen.
I believe it was Hulk with the knee slicer. I was rooting for Chen as I thought he brought a nice dynamic well-rounded game.

Really bummed for Levi. From a BJJ standpoint with 'traditional' optics he should have won as he engaged and had many entanglement attempts whenever Kade made contact (and regularly disengaged); however, the disadvantage of playing guard as it's always viewed the passive position, despite how much you attack. Both also didn't really get into deep subs. Kade had a shallow high guard that Levi escaped (and Hail Mary Estimas) and Levi got foot control but didn't have any convincing tight locks. Also CJI wanted to be non-BJJ friendly and guard retention/DLR/RDLR/K/crab ride isn't going to make sense to novices. Despite the L, hopefully Levi gets more recognition again.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pato has such nice lapel and foot lock game (and also a chill person). He's so adept with it as he's been doing it since blue belt according to Cicero guys.

I believe it was Hulk with the knee slicer. I was rooting for Chen as I thought he brought a nice dynamic well-rounded game.

Really bummed for Levi. From a BJJ standpoint with 'traditional' optics he should have won as he engaged and had many entanglement attempts whenever Kade made contact (and regularly disengaged); however, the disadvantage of playing guard as it's always viewed the passive position, despite how much you attack. Both also didn't really get into deep subs. Kade had a shallow high guard that Levi escaped (and Hail Mary Estimas) and Levi got foot control but didn't have any convincing tight locks. Also CJI wanted to be non-BJJ friendly and guard retention/DLR/RDLR/K/crab ride isn't going to make sense to novices. Despite the L, hopefully Levi gets more recognition again.
Yeah, sorry, it was Hulk.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, Kade really did not let Levi get deep on anything, and it was hard for him to get above Kade's kneeline. But I felt that he really fled a lot as well. I thought that the score would be a split decision, but what do I know?

On the plus side, I did learn from the CJI match between Felipe Andrew and Inacio Santos. I have been using the K guard entry a lot, but stronger players will control my legs,especially the leg coming around, and getting to north south, at which point, it's just a struggle for me to escape and reguard. Fellipe had the leg framing Inacio's abdomen until he could get it around. I think that this might be even easier in the gi because you can secure an upper body grip and have a push pull that prevents an easy backstep or other pass or exit. Once I'm okay to roll again (will drill only for a couple of weeks as I recover from COVID), I'll see how this works for me in live practice.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, I did learn from the CJI match between Felipe Andrew and Inacio Santos. I have been using the K guard entry a lot, but stronger players will control my legs,especially the leg coming around, and getting to north south, at which point, it's just a struggle for me to escape and reguard. Fellipe had the leg framing Inacio's abdomen until he could get it around. I think that this might be even easier in the gi because you can secure an upper body grip and have a push pull that prevents an easy backstep or other pass or exit. Once I'm okay to roll again (will drill only for a couple of weeks as I recover from COVID), I'll see how this works for me in live practice.
Hope recovery goes well!

I see what you mean with the leg as a frame; should be effective, similar when you try to go underneath with RDLR with the other leg as a frame. We do a fair amount of K stuff due to Junny and he keeps the frame but also load and collapse the knee; if they're unstable they need to let go of the far leg.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heretolearn1