• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

tweedlover

Reaction score
Got my single-breasted coat, bought it used from eBay. I generally don't like SB coats if they're not raglan/balmacaan style, but I loved the peak lapels and giant patch pockets on this. I'm a sucker for giant, square patch pockets on all coats.

It's a T-shaped silhouette and is huge on me. I love it. I've grown to enjoy padded shoulders on overcoats vs. the slouch of my raglans.

20221103-141215.jpg
20221103-141840-2.jpg

20221103-141420-2.jpg
Looks quite nice. I love long topcoats.

CasualWearer88

Reaction score
@CasualWearer88 I dig it. Do you plan on wearing it open or closed?

If closed, then pics of it worn closed would help too.

I tried to catch it buttoned. Yes, its a rather lightweight 470gr pure Camel cloth. I intend to wear it for mild autumnal or winter weather, as we dont have harsh climates in south Germany.

20221112_122357.jpg
20221112_122340.jpg
20221112_122255.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to catch it buttoned. Yes, its a rather lightweight 470gr pure Camel cloth. I intend to wear it for mild autumnal or winter weather, as we dont have harsh climates in south Germany.

View attachment 1855398 View attachment 1855399 View attachment 1855400

A beautiful piece this overcoat: is it RTW? If so, which brand?

Very nice combination with turtleneck, trousers and shoes too.

By the way, that lying shawl collar cardigan looks very good as well: would you share some information?

CasualWearer88

Reaction score
A beautiful piece this overcoat: is it RTW? If so, which brand?

Very nice combination with turtleneck, trousers and shoes too.

By the way, that lying shawl collar cardigan looks very good as well: would you share some information?

I really appreciate your feedback. The overcoat is "merely" from Suitsupply via their MTM. I'm quite happy at this pricepoint.

The shawl collar cardigan you see next in the dressing cabine was from Polo Ralph Lauren. It was very nice, but not worth the full price IMHO (499 Euro). Maybe I will get to it at the season sale :)

Best regards

jtwo

Reaction score
Does anyone know why some polo coats have a left breast pocket and some don't?

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own the Anthology polo coat? I’m debating picking up the Grey Herringbone one. Any thoughts?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why some polo coats have a left breast pocket and some don't?
@comrade might, I associate him with trad lore.
Does anyone own the Anthology polo coat? I’m debating picking up the Grey Herringbone one. Any thoughts?
I was rereading a thread on RL polo coats; I found that @Andy57 picked up the camel version. MTM'd in a longer length.

suitedcboy

Reaction score

View attachment 1855398 View attachment 1855399 View attachment 1855400
Very nice and fits you well. I have a question: does the coat have **** openings for trouser pocket access? I had a coat of similar style with patch pockets like this but semi-hidden behind and below were **** openings, not trimmed or announced in any way, that allowed me to reach into trouser pockets while buttoned. The pockets were useful for gloves but utility of reaching inside without all the fuss of unbuttoning or hiking up the side of coat was great. I likely got the coat 30+ years ago and I believe it was Hickey Freeman, one of the OTR suit brands anyway, and I got it in men's dept. of a mainline store. Texas winters seemed to have developed a pattern of being colder and this thread the look of your coat is making me desire another.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@comrade might, I associate him with trad lore.

I was rereading a thread on RL polo coats; I found that @Andy57 picked up the camel version. MTM'd in a longer length.
@Spaghettimatt I do have the Anthology polo. It's a very nice example of a polo, with some impressive hand-tailored touches. As it was designed in collaboration with Permanent Style, it is a little short for me in the standard configuration, but The Anthology kindly offered to make one 10cm longer for me, which turned out very nicely. And the company now does offer a true MTM option for the coat.

CasualWearer88

Reaction score
Very nice and fits you well. I have a question: does the coat have **** openings for trouser pocket access? I had a coat of similar style with patch pockets like this but semi-hidden behind and below were **** openings, not trimmed or announced in any way, that allowed me to reach into trouser pockets while buttoned. The pockets were useful for gloves but utility of reaching inside without all the fuss of unbuttoning or hiking up the side of coat was great. I likely got the coat 30+ years ago and I believe it was Hickey Freeman, one of the OTR suit brands anyway, and I got it in men's dept. of a mainline store. Texas winters seemed to have developed a pattern of being colder and this thread the look of your coat is making me desire another.

Thank you. The overcoat does not have hidden pocket openings, just regual flap- patch ones. But hidden openings sounds like a interesting thing.

Best regards

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a MTM supplier for overcoats, especially one that offers an online configurator?

Best regards
Lopez Aragon, but I've never ordered from them.

Their online interface is also fairly hard to navigate and parse through.

jdhoop

Reaction score
For my first good overcoat, I chose the Permanent Style navy donegal (made by Private White V.C.)—and I couldn't be happier with it!

I knew I wanted something conservative and versatile (as it would be my only overcoat for now), but not boring. This certainly fits the bill! It can be easily worn casually, but I'm really looking forward to putting it on over a suit.

DSC_8086.jpg
DSC_8067-Edit.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads