• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just open it in incognito mode and you should be able to see it on the American site.

It worked, thank you.

Pretty nice, lovely colour.

Contadictory indications about the cloth: it's not from Lovat, but a "Casentino" fabric from Tuscany.

goalaso

Reaction score
I like the color, material, and silhouette, but is the way it buttons up normal? Something about how the peak lapels button up feels like there'd be no room for the neck. I don't have a polo coat, so those with more experience, please chime in if this wouldn't be an issue. Wish they had a photo with it on a human.
1699747187461.png

compared to, say, this one From PS's Anthology polo coat:
1699747312557.png

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the color, material, and silhouette, but is the way it buttons up normal? Something about how the peak lapels button up feels like there'd be no room for the neck. I don't have a polo coat, so those with more experience, please chime in if this wouldn't be an issue. Wish they had a photo with it on a human.
View attachment 2067767
View attachment 2067769

I think that it should button correctly and anyway I wouldn't be too worried about it, as you will seldom button the upper button.

I would certainly replace the buttons, as they look rather odd and cheap.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you able to post pic of the filled coat look as if find it hard to believe. It is a couple of sizes too big and a coat that imitates the look of a sack is just as awful as a tight coat. Pictures can be deceiving but we all judge fit pictures here.

Unless you are going for some gangsta paradise, Kanye look then that coat is perfect!!
I'll try next week man. Low motivation lately with the days being so short.

Hell yeah, I'm going to take gangster paradise as a huge compliment, no sarcasm intended!

For me it's filled out, but I think it would still look too big for you.
Single breasted, of course. Hence the question of having hidden buttons.
Either fabric would work IMO. Personally not a fan of chesterfields, but that is due to my own tastes. It's a very straight, upright, clean look.
I agree. I find it hard to believe. But maybe? Only op knows. It looks 3 sizes too big but that’s just from one photo so I’m withholding judgment
I have my other polo coat at the tailor, I'll try to post pictures of both my coats with a sports coat underneath next weekend.

It sounds like Jamesbond1 and your tastes would align with my other polo coat. It's fairly trim, straight, darted, shaped, and "tailored" looking. Also around knee length.

It didn't scratch the itch for me though. It felt restrictive, whereas this coat has swagger and flow and is very comfortable for me. Both coats have their place for me depending on my mood.
View attachment 2067767
View attachment 2067769
I really like that NMWA pea green polo coat. It nails the slouchy dropped look of a polo coat. The button stance is great too, it's stretched out and similiar to Ralph Lauren's polo coats.

I think you're right to be skeptical on the neck being too tight. I ran into that issue and couldn't button it up on my slimmer polo coat.

I'm also curious about the silhouette. It seems to have an A-line or bell shape. The shoulders look a bit narrower relative to the skirt at the bottom.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Either fabric would work IMO. Personally not a fan of chesterfields, but that is due to my own tastes. It's a very straight, upright, clean look.
I want something with a tone on tone velvet collar and I guess chesterfields really hit the spot in this case. Any other (single breasted) design recommendations that'd work well with a velvet collar?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want something with a tone on tone velvet collar and I guess chesterfields really hit the spot in this case. Any other (single breasted) design recommendations that'd work well with a velvet collar?

If you want a velvet collar, the Chesterfield is the right option. I would also go for hidden buttons.

Not my favourite style, but the Chesterfield is the epitome of the highly formal overcoat.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with DG, chesterfield it is then. I can't think of anything else.

Lucky_Farmer

Reaction score
Gents,

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. I live in Singapore and don’t have an overcoat (there is no need for me to have one and most shops don’t sell it here). Recently I have had to travel a bit for work and have been in Tokyo and Frankfurt where I realised I can’t cope without an overcoat. I am therefore looking to buy a polo coat to wear over my suit as I go to such business meetings. I have little knowledge on this topic (as I have never bought one) so grateful for some pointers here.

Brand and colour - Please can you help recommend one and the colour. I have seen Polo Ralph Lauren and Spier and Mckay and both look good for me. I don’t mind spending a bit more as this likely is the only one I would have for a while (plus I want to to give good impression to the business contacts I will be meeting (I don’t want to look sluggish)).

Sizing - I am struggling to know pick the size. Taking Ralph Lauren as an example, the shops here don’t sell overcoats and I will have to order through a forwarder. Therefore I won’t have a chance to try it on and won’t know the size. Someone suggested that I should measure my shoulder but I wonder if I need to take a bigger size since it will be over my suit.

Tailor - if I decide to go to a tailor and have him made it for me, please can someone suggest the fabric, colour and the style that I should have him make the polo coat for me. Do you think it is necessary to go to a tailor for this? since I am wearing it over the suit anyway so not sure I need it tailored.

Any help is much appreciated!

William Kazak

Reaction score
Got me a vintage RL polo coat. It has some nicks and scrapes, and the nap is worn down on the edges, but it nails the idea for me for a relaxed, slouchy coat.

There can be a line between relaxed and slouchy vs sloppy though. Will wear it a couple times and see if I want to have the silhouette shortened and trimmed a bit.

20231104-125134-2.jpg
I like it. Layer with a suitcoat or a wool sweater. Try leaving it open as well, with a scarve for some drama. That is how mine fits. I got tired of those that are more form fitting.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. Layer with a suitcoat or a wool sweater. Try leaving it open as well, with a scarve for some drama. That is how mine fits. I got tired of those that are more form fitting.
There is a lot of drama with this fit as well! Sleeve pitch looks awful besides being too loose!

ZRH1

Reaction score
Gents,

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. I live in Singapore and don’t have an overcoat (there is no need for me to have one and most shops don’t sell it here). Recently I have had to travel a bit for work and have been in Tokyo and Frankfurt where I realised I can’t cope without an overcoat. I am therefore looking to buy a polo coat to wear over my suit as I go to such business meetings. I have little knowledge on this topic (as I have never bought one) so grateful for some pointers here.

Brand and colour - Please can you help recommend one and the colour. I have seen Polo Ralph Lauren and Spier and Mckay and both look good for me. I don’t mind spending a bit more as this likely is the only one I would have for a while (plus I want to to give good impression to the business contacts I will be meeting (I don’t want to look sluggish)).

Sizing - I am struggling to know pick the size. Taking Ralph Lauren as an example, the shops here don’t sell overcoats and I will have to order through a forwarder. Therefore I won’t have a chance to try it on and won’t know the size. Someone suggested that I should measure my shoulder but I wonder if I need to take a bigger size since it will be over my suit.

Tailor - if I decide to go to a tailor and have him made it for me, please can someone suggest the fabric, colour and the style that I should have him make the polo coat for me. Do you think it is necessary to go to a tailor for this? since I am wearing it over the suit anyway so not sure I need it tailored.

Any help is much appreciated!
fellow SG resident here. I have one overcoat for SG and have it tailored, for that I recommend at least 700grams, as Tokyo can get very chilly in winter, nevermind Frankfurt, that gets easily to sub zero in that period. I have an Ulster which I consider formal.

Lucky_Farmer

Reaction score
fellow SG resident here. I have one overcoat for SG and have it tailored, for that I recommend at least 700grams, as Tokyo can get very chilly in winter, nevermind Frankfurt, that gets easily to sub zero in that period. I have an Ulster which I consider formal.
Hi there fellow SG resident,

Just wondering where you have your Ulster made? If it is a tailor in Singapore I will definitely go and see him.

epsilon22

Reaction score
Former SG resident here. There's a Suitsupply at ION, they have limited selections of outerwear there, might be worth checking out. There are a few Brooks Brothers as well, I remember seeing some coats at the one in Paragon. Neither of them seem to have coats with heavy fabrics though, so you may be better off checking one of the local MTM/bespoke tailors.

I've had suits made by KayJen before, and I've heard good things about Dylan & Sons. I'm sure they'd be able to procure overcoat fabric. You can probably check the hardwarezone forums as well for suggestions.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
If you want a velvet collar, the Chesterfield is the right option. I would also go for hidden buttons.

Not my favourite style, but the Chesterfield is the epitome of the highly formal overcoat.
Would it look too weird if I'd go with regular (visible) buttons? I have a camel coloured coat with a contrasting (brown) velvet collar with visible buttons. It's a very versatile coat. I want this planned "chesterfield" to be a bit versatile, as I'll use it for times when I'm not wearing a suit too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads