• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm not on the list but I've had my fair share of Cayuse and get it retailed to me from an industry friend whenever I want. When I first tried it I loved it, but the more of it I drink, the less enthused I am over it. No idea why.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To share with my 96 year-old grandmother, who moved to Napa in the early 60s.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not on the list but I've had my fair share of Cayuse and get it retailed to me from an industry friend whenever I want. When I first tried it I loved it, but the more of it I drink, the less enthused I am over it. No idea why.

One of my favourite wines. Can't get much, but what I have drunk, loved.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've got a bottle of 2010 God Only Knows in the cellar right now and am planning on putting it out for folks on Friday.

dwlbu

Reaction score
Not exactly wine related but since wine & food go hand-in-hand, I was wondering what some of you folks would recommend in the knife arena? My wife and I are struggling with our old entry level henckels block from post college and looking to upgrade. After watching some americas test kitchen, im convinced that buying a la carte instead of another block set may be the way to go. Here is what I'm kinda looking at piecing together after some time researching the subject - I'd be interested in any critique or feedback. Keep in mind I'm not trying to spend crazy amounts for top of the line carbon knives, just want some good quality forged knives made in 1st world countries.

Tojiro DP 9.4" Chef's knife (for more delicate slicing)
Wusthof Classic 8" Chef's knife (for more of the tougher jobs)
I kind of want to have two chefs knives because we often find ourselves taking turns using our only 'remotely sharp' knife (5" calphalon santuko) while doing prep
Wusthof classic 4" paring
Haven't decided on a bread knife yet

For steak knives I'm considering the following:
Sabatier forged set from Costco (only comes in 4/set at $159)
Swiss Army/Victorinox made in Switzerland but stamped, not forged at $139 for 6
Laguiole en Aubrac - love the Laguiole look and there are lots of land mines that carry the laguiole name but this set is the real deal at 6 for $375...not sure I care to spend that much though.

Instead of having a knife block piecemealed together on the counter I'm just going to opt for an in-drawer knife block.

We certainly are cool with hand washing, but beyond that we want to try to keep things low maintenance. I'd probably have them professionally sharpened 1-2 times annually instead of attempting myself.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of knife threads. General rule seems to be make sure you try in person.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've been blown away by the quality of Takemura. I've gotten reasonably good at freehand sharpening and I can put a wicked edge on that knife. You will still need a heavy knife for hard things but for veg prep a Takemura gyuto is outstanding. Unless you want to deal with carbon, which I don't. I've had 3 other Japanese gyutos and this one is by far the best.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Just back from Napa. Overall, a bit bittersweet. I had a good time, mostly, but there were some disappointments. The biggest letdown was BV. It's just fallen. The wines can no longer age worth a damn, it seems. They were pouring stuff barely 20 years old that had completely turned. The staff was giving me some line about tertiary profiles, but there is tertiary and then there is oxidized-rotten. Some of these were simply bad. Best thing they poured was the 84, which is way over the hill, but just old, not spoiled. The cloud and sediment in wines from the 1990s was sad to see. I actually had a 94 not long ago that was great but the 95 they poured at the winery was rancid. I want to love them, but it's hard these days.

Mondavi remains very good over all. They weren't pouring very old stuff in the reserve room, which was a bummer, but I still think the reserves are excellent. To me the best thing there is the i-Block Sauv Blanc, which is totally unique. I picked up a few. The little dessert wine is also great. Another new one to me is the un-oaked chard, very Chablis-like and only sold at the winery.

Super impressed by Heitz and they poured a lot of great stuff, including some really old Martha's, Trailside, and Bella Oaks. I didn't realize they lost the contract to make Bella Oaks and 2007 was the last vintage. I actually like Trailside slightly better but BO was great.

Montelena remains awesome. Did the reserve tasting and loved everything. Was blown away by the 2005. Chard still one of the best out there.

Beringer I enjoy visiting but they only poured very recent vintages even in the Reserve room, so that was a bit of a let-down. Wines are still great but getting expensive, out of proportion to quality, IMO.

Also went to Freemark Abbey which I had not visited in a long time. They now have three single vineyard Cabs. The Bosche I've had many times and its still my favorite. The Sycamore seems like their attempt to emulate Martha's--not entirely successful. Funky nose but good palate. Spring Mountain didn't stick out for me either way, really, but I enjoyed all three. At this point, the one I'd go out of my way for is the Bosche. Bord-like and more elegant than the others.

I booked everything too late to get into Bouchon so went to Jeanty. Definitely a cut below but still OK. Menu too large, I think, and unfocused. Auberge du Soleil for dinner was showing its age. All the tasting room people said that I blew it, that all the great spots now are in Napa city and the Valley restaurants are tired and overpriced. Live and learn. Next time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I've been blown away by the quality of Takemura. I've gotten reasonably good at freehand sharpening and I can put a wicked edge on that knife. You will still need a heavy knife for hard things but for veg prep a Takemura gyuto is outstanding. Unless you want to deal with carbon, which I don't. I've had 3 other Japanese gyutos and this one is by far the best.

Are you not using that sharpening system anymore? I'm still really intrigued by it but have just not made the leap.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I use it for the bird's beak parer, which I find impossible to sharpen otherwise. But for all other knives, I get a better edge more quickly freehand. It's hard to explain, but once you figure out how to do it by feel, you will know. Took me a while to get it right, but now that I have it, I don't bother with Edge Pro any more.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I truly appreaciated Manton in my youth.

Anyway, current drink. Bought a few at release for $26 CDN.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took home the pro knife sharpener from work and sharpened all of the edges in the kitchen. It's like I've been living in standard definition the whole time.

What a time to be alive.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Someone that's coming over tomorrow stopped by to drop these off so I could put them in the wine fridge:

I'm thinking pre-NYE is not going to be too shabby. She also dropped off these outrageous crab stuffed giant mushroom caps I'll pop in the oven tomorrow as part of the nosh table.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads