• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never actually visited a vineyard so we spent last weekend driving/walking from place to place in the Oakanagan in British Columbia. Drank a lot of so-so wine and some excellent wine. Prices here are reasonable for the local stuff so I managed to get a mix-match case and a half from 15 of the 17 vineyards. A few pretty nice pinot noirs and cabs, but not much else as far as reds go.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So been enjoying some Astrolabe wines lately: http://www.astrolabewines.co.nz/

I also like the story. Simon Waghorn was the winemaker for Whitehaven wines for many years. Something about part of his buyout to start his own lable, Astrolabe, he agreed not to import to the US for several years. Now all this great Pinot and Sauv. Blanc is appearing from Astrolabe.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So been enjoying some Astrolabe wines lately: http://www.astrolabewines.co.nz/

I also like the story. Simon Waghorn was the winemaker for Whitehaven wines for many years. Something about part of his buyout to start his own lable, Astrolabe, he agreed not to import to the US for several years. Now all this great Pinot and Sauv. Blanc is appearing from Astrolabe.

The name sounds perfect for a woman who can no longer self lubricate.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is why I'm loathe to post here these days.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am assembling my list of six wines I shall bring on our cruise in November. I shall take the list with me to my grave before I share it here.

Amar ezzahi

Reaction score

St Joseph from Domaine des Bruyeres (one of the best domains in Crozes-Hermitage, same level as Combier or Graillot). 100% Syrah.
Very nice. A bit of acidity and greedy fruit with enough spices that makes you feel that you are indeed in the Syrah.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Dinner with friends this past weekend at Hamilton's Grill Room, good BYOB in Lambertville, NJ.

1995 Beaucastel CDP - Drinking beautifully but with plenty of life still left in it, probably 10 years conservatively. Usually I filter and decant Beaucastel but we popped and poured with no great detriment to the wine. Typical Beaucastel in that you can sit there and keep finding different things on the palate. Red fruit, tobacco, apple pie spice, earth, minerality, etc...

2004 Pichon-Baron - Another one drinking very well but no surprise that it's also got a ways to go. Sweet cassis fruit with some vegetal edges (in a good way), tannins are tame with just enough grip so that you notice they are still there, but not obtrusive at all.

2010 Silver Oak AV - I told a friend with a good sized cellar to grab a few big Cabs because that's what he enjoys and the rest of the crowd does also... and he brought THREE of these. :brick: It's actually drinking pretty well with good balance. The acidity is there and the oak is nicely integrated. A bit of herbal complexity helps too. AV cabs are very tricky as it can yield so much grapiness, and the winemaker spends so much time trying to tame that, often yielding wines that are out of balance with too much acidity added back in or excess oak. I remember when I was being offered a ton of wine from this vintage back in late 2011 / early 2012 and they were uniformly "grape jelly." Silver Oak did very well with this wine.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads