• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I've been drinking French wine only for the last couple years (cheap stuff), So I just bought some rando "meritage" Cal/Napa blend. blech. Like licking strawberry Smuckers off the inside of a chest of drawers. 

try clos du val

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
try clos du val

Good call. Thanks! I remember liking their wines, but haven't had any in years.

Probably because it breaks my 20 buck threshold (#cheepo) -- but I will give it a whirl next time I get over to K&L.

dwlbu

Reaction score
Broke out a bunch of my better cellar defenders this weekend with family in town. It was my first try for all but the Landmark Chard. Overall I'd say I was fairly disappointed though.

Big Oak/Butter bomb, very yellowish-straw in color. Its a fun wine from a good vintage and always delivers good QPR as long as you aren't looking for crisp green apple.

Entry level burg with some a nice tart cherry on the palate. It definitely had a funk on the aftertaste for the first 45 minutes but that eventually subsided. I believe I got this one from full pull for like $22 - great product for that price point.

Overpriced. It lacked the complexity and balance you'd expect from an estate grown Malbec at $46. I enjoyed it, but won't be buying more.

Perhaps it is in a muted phase, but this barely embodied the elements I love in a good Barbaresco from a good vintage. In the $30 price range Produttori blows the this away. The Amarone was wine of the weekend, followed closely by the cheapo burg.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Last night and Monday night we had wine from the Montsant DOC in Spain. It is right by the DOCa of Priorat and I'm going to be looking into more wines from there. One was 100% Grenache, 2013 Pallas Garnacha Old Vines Reserve at $14 for the bottle. A nice, warm climate Grenache but with good minerality. Really a nice bottle for the price and worth a try if you like Priorat wines.

The other bottle was 2008 Cellers Baronia del Montsant (Clos d'Englora) Montsant Englora at $16. This was about half Grenache then Carignan, Cab. Sauv., around 20% each, and a bit of Syrah and Temp. Really a lively acidity, lots of black fruits, and spiciness. Again, really good value.

dwlbu

Reaction score

Last night and Monday night we had wine from the Montsant DOC in Spain. It is right by the DOCa of Priorat and I'm going to be looking into more wines from there. One was 100% Grenache, 2013 Pallas Garnacha Old Vines Reserve at $14 for the bottle. A nice, warm climate Grenache but with good minerality. Really a nice bottle for the price and worth a try if you like Priorat wines.

The other bottle was 2008 Cellers Baronia del Montsant (Clos d'Englora) Montsant Englora at $16. This was about half Grenache then Carignan, Cab. Sauv., around 20% each, and a bit of Syrah and Temp. Really a lively acidity, lots of black fruits, and spiciness. Again, really good value.

Have you had Cellar Capcanes Mas Donis Barrica? It is my number 1 go to crowd pleaser daily drinker. I buy it by the case at $10.99/per. You should pick up some - it is a GSM blend and sounds just like these others.
https://m.wine.com/product/capcanes-mas-donis-barrica-2013/138742

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had a 2009 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cru Beaujolais. For $25? Wow. I understand this was a very warm vintage for the region and it had a lot of fruit. Still quite clearly a good acidity and minerality. I seriously need two things: 1) easier sourcing for great Beauj and 2) drink more great Beauj.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Opened a 2012 La Dragon de Quintus last night. Cost was $29 and I wasn't impressed. It's an OK wine, but I can do better at the right bank for less.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Had a 2009 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cru Beaujolais. For $25? Wow. I understand this was a very warm vintage for the region and it had a lot of fruit. Still quite clearly a good acidity and minerality. I seriously need two things: 1) easier sourcing for great Beauj and 2) drink more great Beauj.

Thivin is great. I've been stocking up. '13/14/15 are all great vintages in Bojo (15 is warmer, while 13/14 are more classical I believe)

TotalWine stocks it every once in a while- I usually get a 6pack and with the discount, they come in at ~$20

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've never tasted vin juane. I need to source something with good typicity.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Also, had this with dinner. Juicy and good.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeternum