• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the background on Andhurst blazers? I spot them in thrift stores fairly often, and sometimes they look fairly new.

They have all the "proper" traits for a traditional blazer, which I like, and most of them are made in USA. They don't seem to be anything extremely special from a quality standpoint, but they seem like they are pretty solid and dependable.

But, a Google search doesn't turn up anything on the brand.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Brown flannel, truly buttery-soft and woven in an underrated hue. Chalkstripes make a good thing even better.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Does anyone know the background on Andhurst blazers? I spot them in thrift stores fairly often, and sometimes they look fairly new.

They have all the "proper" traits for a traditional blazer, which I like, and most of them are made in USA. They don't seem to be anything extremely special from a quality standpoint, but they seem like they are pretty solid and dependable.

But, a Google search doesn't turn up anything on the brand.

Might it be local where you are? Men's store, maybe?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Might it be local where you are? Men's store, maybe?

I suppose anything is possible, but I'm not thinking so. There definitely isn't a menswear shop in my area with that name, that I'm aware of. Occasionally I'll spot a shirt with the same brand name, or some other sport coat, but most of the time they are blazers.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cpmac7 First three are all 1939-49, going by the union label. Unless any of them have a 1936 copyright on the label, which I doubt.

Gray 3B and tux are from the earlier part of that range, probably 39-43ish. Brown suit is a bit later, probably 45-49.

Crest blazer is late 50s-60s.

What's the size on the gray suit? I might be interested.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The grey suits is late 30s early 40s and a beauty.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me date/size these old Peals? I believe the numbering inside would indicate they were made by Edward Green. I've seen some Peal bespoke examples that have a royal warrant, but never on a rtw shoe. The one in these reads:

By Appointment
Bootmakers to the late King George V
Peal & Co Ltd
Made in England for Brooks Brothers

I've handled my fair share of vintage bespoke shoes and the finish level of these is as good as anything I've ever seen. Leather quality is incredible and looks brand new (which is amazing given how old these must be). Can anyone tell me:

1. When these would have been made? George V died in 1936, do you think they could date to that era?
  2. What size they are? Numbering would indicate 9.5B but not sure if that is UK or American sizing (being sold by BB).
  3. Any way to know what last these are on?

Thanks for the help.

1.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone help me date/size these old Peals? I believe the numbering inside would indicate they were made by Edward Green. I've seen some Peal bespoke examples that have a royal warrant, but never on a rtw shoe. The one in these reads:

By Appointment
Bootmakers to the late King George V
Peal & Co Ltd
Made in England for Brooks Brothers

I've handled my fair share of vintage bespoke shoes and the finish level of these is as good as anything I've ever seen. Leather quality is incredible and looks brand new (which is amazing given how old these must be). Can anyone tell me:

1. When these would have been made? George V died in 1936, do you think they could date to that era?
  2. What size they are? Numbering would indicate 9.5B but not sure if that is UK or American sizing (being sold by BB).
  3. Any way to know what last these are on?

Thanks for the help.

1.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

First, holy crap those are beautiful. How did you come by them?

I can't say this for sure, but I would not be surprised if they were made by the actual Peal & Co. firm, before they went out of business and sold their name to Brooks. That was in the 50s or 60s, and the royal warrant reference makes me think they could be that old. The quality would match, too - Peal were a bespoke firm and did very nice stuff. In fact, they probably did better quality work than Edward Green did before Hlustik bought them in 1983. I've seen a few Peals from back then and they're nice, but not remarkably better than today's C&J and AS Peals.

If you can link any of the numbers inside to a historic EG last number, that would disprove my theory.

I don't know if @bengal-stripe is still around, but he might be able to help.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First, holy crap those are beautiful. How did you come by them?

I can't say this for sure, but I would not be surprised if they were made by the actual Peal & Co. firm, before they went out of business and sold their name to Brooks. That was in the 50s or 60s, and the royal warrant reference makes me think they could be that old. The quality would match, too - Peal were a bespoke firm and did very nice stuff. In fact, they probably did better quality work than Edward Green did before Hlustik bought them in 1983. I've seen a few Peals from back then and they're nice, but not remarkably better than today's C&J and AS Peals.

If you can link any of the numbers inside to a historic EG last number, that would disprove my theory.

I don't know if @bengal-stripe is still around, but he might be able to help.

I know I sound like a shill but I've handled everything from modern JLP bespoke, Yohei Fukuda bespoke, Foster & Sons, modern G&G/EG/JL rtw, etc. The quality of this leather is on a completely different level. The only thing I can compare it to was this pair of vintage Lobb Londons I restored a few years ago which had a very similar texture/feel:

LINK

When I first picked these up I assumed they were NOS Peal bespoke, because the finishing level was so high, the uppers were so flawless, the soles were stamped, and the last just screamed bespoke. After looking closer, it definitely looks like these were worn at some point (and the uppers are just that resilient). I can't say for sure whether these were made by Peal or Edward Green, but the nomenclature is consistent with shoes EG made for Brooks in the 80s and 90s. Perhaps they just adopted it from Peal?

Similar pairs (albeit without this exact warrant) have recently been sold on ebay, and the Sellers provided their own accounts of the relationship between EG, Peal and BB in these days. Not sure where they got their information.

LINK
LINK

Funny you mention Bengal, I found this old thread about Peal from 2003 which gives additional clues. Everything seems to indicate these were made by Peal or EG for Brooks Brothers to bespoke standards, somewhere between the years 1936 and 1952. How they managed to survive all those years in this condition is truly remarkable.

LINK

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nate, here is a legendary shoe collection and site from some Japanese shoe addict:

http://centipede.web.fc2.com

...where you can find a few Peal pairs with decades listed. Based on their datings and the logo on this fine pair of yours, I'd say these are from the 1950s to '60s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads