• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL THRIFT/DISCOUNT STORE FIT PIC BRAGGING THREAD

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from the thrift thread

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I sold the US-made Chucks I found, then found a regular pair of Converse low tops. This is my first time wearing them... Race t-shirt, Tellason, Converse.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X post from the thrift thread.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A local shop owner and i.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barrel, I love those fits, look freakin awesome.

Holy ****! Did i just get snoogz`s seal of approval!!!??? Stoked!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hotel discount fit.

Iron heart 10 oz. Selvedge Chambray
Sugar cane 9 oz. Wabash vest
Gustin selvedge 18 oz. Slubs
Adidas

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i need a selvage chambray shirt barrel...this one I like as well!

Dude, you could have hit me up earlier while i was up north!!! Pm me for details.

threeonethree

Reaction score
This got panned in the other thread so posting here.

Suit : 50$ cotton blend.
Shirt: Wills lifestyle 100% cotton. 25$
Belt: 5$
Shoes: 5$
Tie: 5$
Sunglasses: 20$
pocket square: < 1 $ Pure cotton handkerchief

All prices are indicative and approx as they are converted from INR. All these items are bought online at discount rates without first seeing them or trying them on but these are not second hand items.

Lessens learned so far:

Change the tie and shoes. OK can be done.
Remove the sunglasses: Ok can be done. But are they that bad?
Take better pics: Ok can be done.
Alter the pants at the bottom: Ok can be done.

But i really have to make this somehow work because if i had 10000$ to fly to saville row to hire a bespoke tailor, I would have already done that.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Savile Row wouldn't benefit you, because you know not what to look for.

Id recommend changing the Nike Swoosh socks while your at it for a Mens Classic attire. Those just don't fly with a dark suit, or any suit for that matter.

threeonethree

Reaction score
Point taken. what else?

And how would Seville row not help me if i pay a designer to do the looking for me? Anyways thats all hypothetical.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Point taken. what else?

And how would Seville row not help me if i pay a designer to do the looking for me?
You know its really hard and I am not one to fully judge your attire. For starters, that satin stripe on the lapels is a bit off putting. Is this a take of a tuxedo style? Or what is it? A nightclub look? Gorge looks high, lapels bow and produce a collar gap. Your tie is too trendy skinny, and is not tightened up to your neck, and has no dimple. Buttoning stance is high, which may be causing the bow. All in all, to the normal everyday person on the streets, they may see nothing wrong, but to everyone here on SF who sees things under a Sartorial microscope, it matters. Stick around...you will learn more than you ever thought possible.

What I can recommend, if you are interested in looking good on a budget, you need to do a lot of reading.
Stick around, lurk, read the discussions, read the debates, and dabble with your personal taste. There is bountiful information here, but it takes your time and patience in understanding to absorb it.

What you are wearing wouldn't intrigue anyone here, as it is not what we pursue. We enjoy quality, craftsmanship, longevity. Those three things can come with a hefty price tag. Not to say they can't be had for less, but you have to determine what is worth it to you.

---
@ Savile Row, what I was getting at was, if you look good in a suit, you wouldn't know why you look good. If you learn a bit more here, you can put your dollars, where you want, and where you know they should go. Savile Row can make anyone look good with the right price, but so can so much more prior to Savile Row.

threeonethree

Reaction score
To be honest , I did read a few threads here on SF before going for the suit. The basic points i kept in mind were.

1) To buy a plain blue suit as a first suit instead of a black suit or something striped.
2) To buy a light blue shirt or a white shirt instead of buying something dark.
3) To look for a single breasted jacket instead of a double breasted jacket that is too loose.
4) To buy the simplest kind of tie i can get instead of getting something with complex patterns.
5) To try to match the width of the tie with the width of the lapels. The lapels on the suit are 2.5 inches and the tie is close to that.
6) Plain navy socks are going to be my next purchase.

The lack of the dimple on the tie and the gap from the collar can be attributed to the fact that i suck at tying a knot. That can get better with time and a new tie.
The satin on the suit and its design failures can be attributed to its obviously low cost. I am not sure if anything major can be done about that.

If i did not read those threads i could have easily bought something like this at thrice the money.

I bought this suit so i could wear it to presentations and interviews. Is this a totally lost cause and i should rather wear a shirt and pants instead of embarrassing myself in front of an average interviewer or can anything else be done?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads