• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's really something that the flippers on here should learn more about. - different tiers of Denim.   Evisu has many grades, with No'2 s being the good stuff, and "private stock" being after that. which features hand painting, and special labeling.     while some guys know 99% of CM labels. SW&D has just as much to know. 

those jeans pictured are no'2's but not "Private stock". yes, i am saying that the Evisu website got it wrong...........and can back it up.

I wrote off Evisu as too ugly to care about years ago. Plus, like purses and ****, anything that is faked that often isn't worth my time.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
We have someone on the inside at Filson. Tell them bring it all back to Made in USA please. Love my Filson shirt but the made in China label really bugs me.

We've consistently been bringing more and more production back to the US since the Bedrock acquisition. My personal stance is that it's how, not where, a product is made that is most important. If it's made out of top quality material and with a skilled hand, then you have a great product. I'm not sure if any shirting is coming back to the US at this point. It's mostly due to the fact that our very old machines, which are fantastic at assembling Tin Cloth and Mackinaw Wool, would shred our shirting materials with their very stout needles and speed at which they operate. They're simply too powerful; seriously, I should post a video of our felling machine one day! I really love our old Singers and Union Specials, but they require a lot of maintenance and are limited in their adaptability. We would effectively have to have machines set up for what we currently make and also machines for our shirting materials. I know that's not an answer to your question, but hopefully that offers a little bit of insight for you!

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We've consistently been bringing more and more production back to the US since the Bedrock acquisition. My personal stance is that it's how, not where, a product is made that is most important. If it's made out of top quality material and with a skilled hand, then you have a great product. I'm not sure if any shirting is coming back to the US at this point, but our very old machines, which are fantastic at assembling Tin Cloth and Mackinaw Wool, would shred our shirting materials with their very stout needles and speed. They're simply too powerful; seriously, I should post a video of our felling machine one day! I really love our old Singers and Union Specials, but they require a lot of maintenance and are limited in their operation and adaptability. I know that's not an answer to your question, but hopefully that offers a little bit of insight for you!

There's also the entire question of workers rights. If I'm paying 400+ dollars for a wool overshirt, I'd like to know that it wasn't made by sweatshop labor.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's also the entire question of workers rights. If I'm paying 400+ dollars for a wool overshirt, I'd like to know that it wasn't made by sweatshop labor.

If it's 400$, don't buy it, thrift it :p

acosbysweater

Reaction score

The folks that make our Mackinaw Cruisers are 50 feet away from my desk and I assure you that I can hear them bantering and laughing on the line and during their regularly scheduled lunch breaks. They don't seem overly stressed and are paid a fair, union-represented wage. I'm not sure you're going to get that kind of clarity from, for example, a Brooks Brothers product engineer as even their USA-made products are made nowhere near where their corporate employees sit.

I'd also like to remind everyone that I don't speak for my company in an official capacity. Please PM me if you do have further thoughts on our company and I can certainly answer to the best of my abilities.

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We've consistently been bringing more and more production back to the US since the Bedrock acquisition.  My personal stance is that it's how, not where, a product is made that is most important.  If it's made out of top quality material and with a skilled hand, then you have a great product.  I'm not sure if any shirting is coming back to the US at this point.  It's mostly due to the fact that our very old machines, which are fantastic at assembling Tin Cloth and Mackinaw Wool, would shred our shirting materials with their very stout needles and speed at which they operate.  They're simply too powerful; seriously, I should post a video of our felling machine one day!  I really love our old Singers and Union Specials, but they require a lot of maintenance and are limited in their adaptability.  We would effectively have to have machines set up for what we currently make and also machines for our shirting materials.  I know that's not an answer to your question, but hopefully that offers a little bit of insight for you!

i am looking at grabbing a briefcase and a duffle. any sales in the near future? :slayer:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pop on hackett sc, j crew ludlow sc, dries van noten pants, and a few random j crew odds and ends for myself.

Couldn't find pants to a z zegna city jacket in a staple steel grey. :/

J crew sc and hackett had small stains but they'll dry clean out easily i think and I'm pretty sure it's going to come out in my favor.

So psyched. Might start popping by stores on an early lunch more often.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J crew sc and hackett had small stains but they'll dry clean out easily i think and I'm pretty sure it's going to come out in my favor.
Try rubbing the spots with a baby wipe. I do this all of the time and it works wonders. The only concern would be on lighter colored fabrics. I created a water stain on a pair of tan trouser doing this but it came it easily. I guess it doesn't matter if you're getting the dry cleaned anyway, but it's great for flipping when dry cleaning isn't cost effective.

Last edited:

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL cotton twill chinos

Louis Vuitton pochette

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL cotton twill chinos

Louis Vuitton pochette
Is the LV real? I always thought they didn't cut off the design like that or the pattern matched across the seam. I see A LOT of LV I'm just unwilling to pick up because I can't authenticate them perfectly and they're usually a bit more jacked up in price than other things.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The folks that make our Mackinaw Cruisers are 50 feet away from my desk and I assure you that I can hear them bantering and laughing on the line and during their regularly scheduled lunch breaks. They don't seem overly stressed and are paid a fair, union-represented wage. I'm not sure you're going to get that kind of clarity from, for example, a Brooks Brothers product engineer as even their USA-made products are made nowhere near where their corporate employees sit.

I'd also like to remind everyone that I don't speak for my company in an official capacity. Please PM me if you do have further thoughts on our company and I can certainly answer to the best of my abilities.

I just mean for international factory workers. It's also one of the reasons I try to get as much out of my cell phones and computers as possible.
Try rubbing the spots with a baby wipe. I do this all of the time and it works wonders. The only concern would be on lighter colored fabrics. I created a water stain on a pair of tan trouser doing this but it came it easily. I guess it doesn't matter if you're getting the dry cleaned anyway, but it's great for flipping when dry cleaning isn't cost effective.

I'll give this a go!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You thrifted this from the future?

No. It was probably a back room deal, before it hit the floor.

If we want to discuss moral repugnance, let's make THAT the topic.

--

Armoury/Drakes Sample Sale attendance: Achieved.
Items purchased: 15
# of kick ass Ring Jacket, Harris tweed, Neapolitan cut, patch pocket, blackwatch tartan jackets purchased: 1
Damage to credit card: Significant.

I regret nothing.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. It was probably a back room deal, before it hit the floor.

If we want to discuss moral repugnance, let's make THAT the topic.

--

Armoury/Drakes Sample Sale attendance: Achieved.
Items purchased: 15
# of kick ass Ring Jacket, Harris tweed, Neapolitan cut, patch pocket, blackwatch tartan jackets purchased: 1
Damage to credit card: Significant.

I regret nothing.

Maybe they tagged it to put out on that date, but dun effed up and put it out earlier?

Woah. All that Armoury stuff for you?

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We've consistently been bringing more and more production back to the US since the Bedrock acquisition.  My personal stance is that it's how, not where, a product is made that is most important.  If it's made out of top quality material and with a skilled hand, then you have a great product.  I'm not sure if any shirting is coming back to the US at this point.  It's mostly due to the fact that our very old machines, which are fantastic at assembling Tin Cloth and Mackinaw Wool, would shred our shirting materials with their very stout needles and speed at which they operate.  They're simply too powerful; seriously, I should post a video of our felling machine one day!  I really love our old Singers and Union Specials, but they require a lot of maintenance and are limited in their adaptability.  We would effectively have to have machines set up for what we currently make and also machines for our shirting materials.  I know that's not an answer to your question, but hopefully that offers a little bit of insight for you!
No, No, No, I have personally worn Filsons "Alaskan Guide shirt" vintage version for years, and the new offering is TERRIBLE!!! Its not passable and EVERYONE who wears Filson In the bush KNOWS you guys stopped focusing on them and more on city hipsters!!! All the stuff looks great but is not to the same standard as it was, and the "Alaskan Guide" shirt is one of the products that suffered the most. The Fabric the shirt is made from itself is just not as good. I Can goto Ralph Lauren for a designer flannel that looks good, Filson done fucked up. Thats why they moving production back here to the US. They sullied their good name with many. Like Burberry did when they did the whole chinese factory thing.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads