• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takai

Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are we talking more mc or sw&d? If the latter, you can find solid introductory pairs from anyone from Zara to Cheap Monday (have two of their pants -- really solid for the $$$). Mid-range, w+h anti-fit are my favorite pants (have turned into the less drop-y Tokyo model, but pop-up on b&s), and higher up, snow pants by Peir Wu?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Hank from Breaking Bad is just a fat Bruce Willis." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Dying over here!!!

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finds from a very expensive consignment shop earlier in the week: Richard James grenadine
Kiton Kiton Domenico Vacca limited release 7 fold Charvet Domenico Vacca 7 fold Isaia 7 fold RLPL RLPL cashmere, hand rolled tip RLPL cashmere, hand rolled tip (NOT available) And these. Wife noticed the charge hit the CC immediately. You can bet your ass I'll be wearing these until they sell Over There.
Finds from a slightly less expensive consignment shop today. Zegna 15 mil mil; 54R EU Dolcepunta 7 folds x 3 Inco x5, including 2x light gray Super 120s my size (NOT available), 1x Super 120s dark gray, 1x inco chinos and 2x chino linos.
Inco inen shorts; not available Canali; 52R Scott Barber cotton glenplaid PP, tagged 42R but fashionably short Scott barber moleskin cotton PP, same deal. finds from "my local" Paul Stuart/Sammy dual vent nailhead suit. 40R NWT Best of Class Dooney & Burke x2 McKenzie Tribe linen. Made in China, sure, but it's triple patch and not cut like crap. And this:
I decided not to think about what was on it before I found it.
posts like this make me consider figuring out how the hell to use my camera properly

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely fantastic. Wearing an OCBD by them right now, and I love my high waisted trousers with side tabs from them.

Definitely interested in making a pair, what did you end up ordering? And did you just measure off another pair? Thanks

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in making a pair, what did you end up ordering? And did you just measure off another pair? Thanks

While I haven't ordered from Luxire yet I would strongly recommend finding a pair that you like (OTR or thrifted and made to fit perfect by your tailor) and using those measurements to send to Luxire.

Personally, I have a 34 waist and prefer an 11+ inch rise and 9 inch leg opening. You can find plenty of trousers with a high rise in thrifts, but might need to slim the legs just a bit. Believe it or not my favorite trousers are from Incotex; they make a lot of very slim models but also have more traditional cuts as well. I have a number of pairs with 10.5 and 11 inch rises that fit me perfectly. Zanella Tood and the old PRL Made in Italy trousers also have 10.5 - 11 inch rises (at least, on the 34 waist). You also might want to check out O'Connells if you want to go off the rack; a lot of traditional staples and most are made by Hertling, the same folks that make the Epaulet and Yount trousers. Call them up and ask for measurements. Also note that O'Connells offer a regular (R) and long (L) rise. I think the regular will be fine for you, since these are a traditional cut, but make sure to get measurements when you call.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So....somebody just stuck a tacky homemade racism patch on a ten year old camo jacket? :confused:
Yeah, pretty much. Kind of odd.
Who wants to dress their kid as @capnwes this Halloween? Available for cost + shipping plus a few measly bucks. Generic polyester (i.e.: not real clothing) costume. Size 6-12 months. One piece shirt / tie / argyle sweater vest. Tam / cap. Plaid short pants with green "hose". Shoe covers (they Velcro on over regular shoes). Golf bag with 3 clubs - one club is removable. Appears worn once, no vomit stains etc - nice pre-owned condition.
Dang. If my boy was several months older I'd be on this. If nobody else bites I'd be interested and will just hang onto it until next year.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^Nat, my wife picked this up for a baby shower from TJ Maxx the other day.

Your baby could have been had Polo. :D

edit: Not sure if that's the kind of look you're going for, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited:

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
Was this thrift thrifted or e-thrifted?
Late reply, but thrift thrifted, the same price as they have for an HM cardigan. I'm guessing retail is like 1-1.5k$
Congrats on the dog!

I agree. The Corn for PRL tag looks very similar to Canali. But until now all PRL Italy is Corn (will be HF moving forward and that is a very easy tag to recognize).
I think there are some PRL made in italy that's not Corn? I have one and someone posted one a couple months ago without the corn tags.

Today I saw a blue wool PRL blazer with brass buttons, made in spain, but not great condition. Who's the spanish maker?

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are some PRL made in italy that's not Corn? I have one and someone posted one a couple months ago without the corn tags.

You are correct. I tend to overuse absolutes. Once and a while you'll see the Made in Italy tag on the waist but no Corn tag, but some blue maker tag that no one has been able to definitively figure out. But as others have said, certainly most of it is Corn, particularly suits.

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
You are correct. I tend to overuse absolutes. Once and a while you'll see the Made in Italy tag on the waist but no Corn tag, but some blue maker tag that no one has been able to definitively figure out. But as others have said, certainly most of it is Corn, particularly suits.

That's the one I'm talking about. This mystery needs to be solved, someone should email Ralph or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads