• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decisions Decisions ..... e-thrifted this to resell but its SO nice.... might have to keep it. Do you guys have that problem?
crazy.gif

Put it in your rotation. You can always sell it later.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crazy! Last winter I picked up a badass Tweed by them. Awesome details.
There is some great stuff by Alexander Julian, 1st and foremost the UNC Tarheel basketball team uniforms. He introduced the argyle. Julians was doing Coach Williams' wardrobe but not sure if he still does.

His parents had (family still has) a higher-end men's store in Chapel Hill and they still sell a Julian's line that is nice. I see the nicer stuff often. But since the name has been so diffused, its not worth much for flipping. But you can find some nice pieces for yourself.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is some great stuff by Alexander Julian, 1st and foremost the UNC Tarheel basketball team uniforms. He introduced the argyle. Julians was doing Coach Williams' wardrobe but not sure if he still does.

His parents had (family still has) a higher-end men's store in Chapel Hill and they still sell a Julian's line that is nice. I see the nicer stuff often. But since the name has been so diffused, its not worth much for flipping. But you can find some nice pieces for yourself.
I didn't know the companies involvement to that extent, that is really cool. If you see their stuff often, and have an intent for flipping, I recommend you pick up the "cooler" pieces! Its always a crapshoot, but even with dated canal, armanis, and HSM, they will still sell.

Flip Brag

Last edited:

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know the companies involvement to that extent, that is really cool. If you see their stuff often, and have an intent for flipping, I recommend you pick up the "cooler" pieces! Its always a crapshoot, but even with dated canal, armanis, and HSM, they will still sell.

Flip Brag
Honestly, I haven't had anything that didn't sell except for some ties and cufflinks. every jacket I've posted has sold except 3-4 that I posted too late in the season.

But, since I have a realistic limit of about 20 items a week I can process, and a ton of inventory I need to get to, I'm trying to add only fast movers. Last week I didn't process any inventory because I had a meeting I had to prep my CEO for. Life happens. In april I went to DC for a week and ended up grabbing 27 or 28 pair of shoes. I took off wednesday just to polish, measure and photo. finished about 12 pair, plus 5 shirts and a handful of belts.

So for the next while, no AJ for me.

I had my first money loser a couple weeks ago, but it was my own fault. I bought a BB Loro Piana that I thought my brother could wear, I sent it off to Fabric Reweavers where for $85 they fixed a hole. Then when he came, it didn't fit. So I sold it and got mid-50's for it. So, $5 for the jacket, $2 for cleaning, $85 for repair.......Oh well.

irish56

Reaction score

If you ever find any of those SC or trousers that Roy has in a 38-40 (33-34x30/31 trouser), don't hesitate to pm me!

Greg613

Reaction score
This is the first pair of Florsheim's that I actually wanted to buy. Gaffney Wingtips.

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question, has Incotex ever made pants for Tom James? Saw some dress trousers that looked spot-on like Incos (split waistband with the fabric strap, tag with washing instructions,etc).

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This area has at least 6 that offer $2 per item dry cleaning. Are they Great? no. Would I take my expensive items there for repetitive cleaning? no. But for most of the stuff I post, If I can't make it look good by ironing or steaming, i take it in.

Shirts are $1.25 for basic laundry on a hanger.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys finding $2 dry cleaning? Any MN guys know any reputable and cheap dry cleaners? We can take it to PM so it's not a derail.
I've got a guy near me who dies things from between 2 and 5 dollars an item, depending on what they are. And he does pretty good work to, within 24 hours. Recently, I took 7 jackets out that I had to ship as a lot the next day, all of which had a mothbally smell. He had them ready to go in less than 24 hours, smelling fresh, and all for less than $25.

I'd be willing to bet there's someone similar in your area (I'm in Austin, TX BTW) if you shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads