• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought my mannequin strictly to resell. i found a good deal on one on ebay. think it was around $80 all in.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and I was wondering, how does Southwick compare to other brands?
It's the workhorse. Good solid construction, but not all that special. Well made, and made in America, but I don't think it gives anyone a boner. Could be wrong, though.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to assume the last 678 posts don't contain anyone wanting to desperately trade anything in my size, so I'll just continue running on a major sleep deficit and otherwise ignoring Styleforum.

These first two days at home with a +1 have been interesting, to say the least.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I paid 50 bucks for mine on craigslist. I need to make better use of it, but saturday and sunday roll around and I always miss the daylight window to take pictures :/

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the workhorse. Good solid construction, but not all that special. Well made, and made in America, but I don't think it gives anyone a boner. Could be wrong, though.
I'd agree - if you want more info on Southwick, you should check out the Ask Andy trad board, some of the old Southwick is really desirable over there. Doesn't Southwick now make most of BB's stuff, even the Golden Fleece, though, after Martin Greenfield lost the job? This may have changed in the year or two since I was familiar.

aglose

Reaction score

I'd agree - if you want more info on Southwick, you should check out the Ask Andy trad board, some of the old Southwick is really desirable over there.  Doesn't Southwick now make most of BB's stuff, even the Golden Fleece, though, after Martin Greenfield lost the job?  This may have changed in the year or two since I was familiar.

Thanks for the help.

Got the same advice from Vexco I made an account but have to wait for moderator approval before I can post.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WGP thank you for the kind words, I definitely am new to the thread as well as the lifestyle. Up here in Cleveland there are some killer finds and stores that aren't picked over by any means. A few months past, found this old Ralph Lauren lambskin leather jacket for $3.50.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any other information on this from the fellow experts?

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...sounds like its time I made a road trip to Cleveland. Not that I need an excuse to hit up the home of Melt: Bar & Grilled.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He sold it auction, IIRC. That jacket.... man. My only LP brand finds are a cashmere tie I kept and a shirt that had a hole in it- still sold it, still made money on it, but ugh. I've never even found a Barbour jacket - my nicest outerwear find at a true thrift is probably an Orvis Bandera jacket that was stone mint, sold for $300. That LP jacket is like hitting the jackpot - like the one guy who found a first edition Great Gatsby worth quite a bit, apologies, I don't remember the nick. You don't go out hoping for that every time - gotta put together base hits and every now and then a grand slam is a welcome surprise. At least that's my mentality, which I know a lot of guys here share.

I actually started out in Cleveland. There's some really really good stuff up there. More than down here in Columbus, for sure. I never found Kiton up there, though I heard tell of several finds. Have you been to Cuffs at Chagrin Falls? It's really awesome. That's where your Kiton jacket came from, if I recognized that snippet of label you showed in the one picture.

That jacket looks pretty awesome. I assume you're trying to sell it; if so, just make sure you have good pics and description, and do not hesitate to describe any issues or flaws, and it'll sell itself. Really gotta try to let the stuff sell itself.

Okay, I've whiled away enough time on here for one morning. Good to hang out for a bit. :)

schwedhart

Reaction score
Lesson learned from a noobie poster - don't post successive posts in a thread or even too many multiple items in one post because in my (limited) experience, only the last post/item will get quoted/commented on/responded to.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies, I will refrain from this in the future. Thought I'd share some recent finds. Thank you for the heads up sir.

...which is to say, there is another thread geared towards discussing buying & selling on eBay, which is where all the dirty flip talk goes on, and is a valuable resource as well:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/buying-and-selling-on-ebay-tips-tricks-problems-questions/0_30

Sharing your finds will always be welcome here, and folks occasionally do derail into resale value and such, but many of the people here don't want to read all that, hence the dedicated thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads