• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a full Loro Piana suit a few weeks ago and I can say without a doubt, it was the nicest suit I've ever laid hands on.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up a full Loro Piana suit a few weeks ago and I can say without a doubt, it was the nicest suit I've ever laid hands on.

o lawdz, pics?!. yes the orphan i grabbed was "nice". but the proportions are super weird. feels like its for a danny devito body type. wide as hell with shortish arms. sort of visible in the photo.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, first post here!
Absolutely amazing thread.
New member to the forum and I can't help but be drawn to this thread.
Below are a few of my picks that I've recently sold on eBay, let me know what you think, your input is invaluable, in particular the Kiton jacket. I was so stoked when I saw this...could I have gotten more? Thanks guys and look forward to interacting with you all.
-Kiton suit jacket- paid $2.50 and sold for $200
-Vintage Chaps RL herringbone jacket- paid $1 sold for $50
-Lot of 2 RLPL shirts- paid $1 each and sold the lot for $110
-Flawless Thomas Pink shirt- paid $2 and sold for $30

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies, I will refrain from this in the future. Thought I'd share some recent finds. Thank you for the heads up sir.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kiton is dope but this isn't the ebay thread ^
My apologies, I will refrain from this in the future. Thought I'd share some recent finds. Thank you for the heads up sir.

schwedhart

Reaction score
Recent Shirt Pickups, $5 apiece, all my size:

Wasn't previously familiar with any of these labels, but seemed high quality/well made, and when i googled them later i seemed to have done pretty well. Also picked up a HF 15.5-34 white with pale green and pink stripe not pictured because i'm currently wearing it under a shawl collared sweater.

schwedhart

Reaction score
Random question - did most of you (the frequent posters here) already own the mannequins/dress forms you're always displaying your finds on, or did you buy them for the express purpose of posting on this thread? Obviously not expecting an answer from everyone, just curious if this is a commonly owned item by private individuals or just unique to this environment.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No worries man, a couple thousand pages ago..........

$(KGrHqZ,!oME63(ZymfmBOyYSKVmDQ~~60_3.JPG

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Wool 46R 42W EUC Blue Pin Stripe 3 Button Cuffed

You know, capnwes and adaminaustin (no offense to you) are two things I think are wrong with this thread - lurkers who insist on finding thrifted things and turning them into thousands-and-thousands percent return. Sure, we all like the occasional suit we get for 15 bucks and sell for 250 or 300; but that's the super-rare event for most of us. Trying to force that to happen with random thrifted vintage BB and old YSL is one of the things I hate most about Ebay.

Also, does it rub anyone else super the wrong way to just post pictures and then an ebay auction link? He even used his auction titles as the link text... to be honest I'm wondering if this qualifies as out-and-out spam?

Back to the usual....
AlanC : OH MY GOODNESS! haha, that's really something else. I love seeing random unusual bits of old BB - or even just the uncommon, like the track jacket or white turtleneck I have/had, or a red leather women's jacket I left at a yard sale a year or so ago.

dwcopple - that auction is actually the one I based my price on. Figure mine are near-stone-mint and I do free shipping so 50 bucks is a bargain. Small world, eh?
wink.gif

Oh, and tonylumpkin - whatcha doing with the wide-shouldered Oxxfords? If they're suitable for larger size suits I might be interested in working something out, assuming they're available.

yea... if you wanna post pics of an item and tell the story behind it that's cool but posting links to auction is for the ebay thread. put a link to the ebay stuff in the signature and people will see it regardless... or if they are interested in the item they are going to PM you about it anyway I don't think we need auction postings in this thread.

+1 to your whole post, especially about the the whole eBay auction and outrageous BIN prices.

I'll plus everyone else because I was thinkng the same thing. Plus isn't the selling/eBay thread still alive?

WGP, why are you lumping this guy in with the spammer? Do...not...agree.
fight[1].gif

P.S. I would love to see before and after pictures. From superfuture (I'm guessing head to-toe-ninja?) to family man must be quite a shift!

Sorry. I didn't want it to come across as spam, I just don't know how to change the link. I figured $23 was a decent price for a BB suit, if I am way off I appologize.

Thanks for the tip, I am new and appreciate the feedback, sorry if I offended anyone.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Random question - did most of you (the frequent posters here) already own the mannequins/dress forms you're always displaying your finds on, or did you buy them for the express purpose of posting on this thread? Obviously not expecting an answer from everyone, just curious if this is a commonly owned item by private individuals or just unique to this environment.
Before I started posting here, I would dress Oscar (my mannequin) every night with the clothes I was going to wear the next day.
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Before I started posting here, I would dress Oscar (my mannequin) every night with the clothes I was going to wear the next day.
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

:slayer:

Last edited:

futuremyth

Reaction score
I suspect it's mostly the people who sell on eBay/Etsy/etc, posting mannequin pics. Maybe there are those out there who don't sell but bought a mannequin to display their scores on SF/Tumblr/whatever, but I'm guessing that's a small minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads