• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I might intrude for a moment, The most influential design movement of the late 19th and first 25 years of the 20th century was born in Chicago. called generically, the Chicago School, guys like Louis Sullivan started building high rises and even more, he mentored Frank Lloyd Wright who developed the prairie style/ organic architecture. That area, particularly Oak Park, has a large concentration of Frank Lloyd Wright homes. Some are now open, others still private residences. In these homes, he was designing not just the home, but the light fixtures, the woodworking, the door hardware, the furniture, the textiles....everything.  It was also the home of the 2nd Chicago school of architecture that was influenced by the pre-war emigration of Walter Gropius, Mies Van Der Rohe, and others including Eliel Saarinen. 

Believe it or not, the Chicago fire created a building boom that gave rise to 2 of the most influential design philosophies of the last hundred years: Organic architecture and the Bauhaus movement, out of which came most of the designers of mid-century modernism. 

If you have time, fitting in a couple of these landmarks would be worth it. 

And visit the museum at the Art Institute!

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've done pretty well picking up the language.

Yeah, that's the one... I'd always thought the Chicago one was connected too. Considering that I got my degree in September of 2012, and have never had a proper job i my field of study, yeah, I'm a bit bitter. The curriculum was seriously ancient for Web Design. I've given up on that and am doing my own thing. But the cost of that degree was ridiculous for what I got out of it. I could've gotten the same thing out of San Jose State for about 1/5th of the cost. Oh well, it's almost paid off either way. Time to take over the world!

Sort of the art/design version of ITT (where "credits earned are unlikely to transfer").

If you have time, fitting in a couple of these landmarks would be worth it.

Agreed! The CAF walking tours offer a slew of options - I must have taken 8 or 10 of them back in the day. I'm not a big fan of organized tours, but if time is tight and you don't want to spend hours researching & planning, they're a good option, plus the docents were (are) knowledgeable.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for the veteran posters.

Are their other ways other than Ebay where someone could go to try and determine the value of something? I'm not looking for someone to give me a value (I read a few posts back that that's a no no) but just some guidance on where I could find some info.

I found a new with tags worsted wool Givenchy DB suit which looks like it could be from the 80's.

Thanks for any help!
Trust someone who's been trying to get rid of one for a few months now. It's isn't worth dick.

biggrin.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoutout to GMMcL for an awesome trade! Beautiful J. Crew tweed overcoat. Fit is spot on. The weather is supposed to warm up a lot by the end of the week, but I might be able to squeeze one or two wears out of it before putting it away until next winter.
Hey gents, haven`t been on the thread for over 2 weeks...Over 1,000 posts behind...Anyhow, here are some teasers...Only coped a few...Most of the stuff is too small for me but damn, welcome to the land of the swnd/work wear grail!!! :bounce2:
Awesome! Reminds me of the little shop I stopped in while in Tokyo. Loads of awesome stuff but everything was like 4 sizes too small. :fu:
@Nataku, am I right in thinking mid late 80's on this Sierra Designs logo? If anyone else has knowledge of Lucasfilms stuff, feel free to pass it along!
Cool find. I'd say you're about right. Late 80's would be my guess based on the colors alone.
Just had the most epic bow tie haul ever. I had to go grab a cart. T&A, Carrot & Gibbs, Talbott, PRL, etc.
Wow! That many bow ties? A friend messaged me about those on Friday (I think). I didn't know there were that many, though!
It's killing me knowing that this is currently happening in MN somewhere while I'm cooped up in class. So I'm going to live through you. Can't wait to see this.
You're not missing too much else. It's been pretty dry on my routes lately. Just a few pick-ups today. Shoes and Cantarelli available at cost+time/gas+shipping, otherwise will return them. Keeping the Polo for myself unless someone really wants it. Cantarelli for Bergdorf Goodman. 3 btn. Side vented. EU 54 R
Polo by Corneliani. My size. :)
Vtg. Allen Edmonds MacNeil longwings. Bwn pebble grain. 9 1/2 A (Edit: Claimed)

Last edited:

borbor

Reaction score
dry spell continues.

saw two pendleton jackets that I put back down.

Racks have been friggin bare lately.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I end up in chicago for grad school I will be elated.

My coworker just got into school there. He's super psyched about it but still has to hear back from other places as well as about $$$$

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright so I went to my local Neiman Marcus Last Call and they had some ******* crazy deals. Boglioli unstructured blazers at 300 with an additional 40% off, 3pc Tom Ford at 1.5k with additional 40% off, etc etc. The tie racks are full of amazing **** and spans larger than most of the tie racks I see at thrifts.

Excited to go back to do some real shopping soon.

luv2breformed

Reaction score

Alright so I went to my local Neiman Marcus Last Call and they had some ******* crazy deals. Boglioli unstructured blazers at 300 with an additional 40% off, 3pc Tom Ford at 1.5k with additional 40% off, etc etc. The tie racks are full of amazing **** and spans larger than most of the tie racks I see at thrifts.

Excited to go back to do some real shopping soon.

Any knowledge if this is confined to your local store or is more widespread? Trying to decide if it's worth the 1.5 hr drive to my nearest last call.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That 3 pc Tom Ford is definitely worth grabbing at that price. Wow. So angry that NM left us and took Last Call with them. At least Saks left us their Off Fifth store when they ditched Minnesota.

They had a BUNCH. I mean maybe half a rack of 3pc Tom Fords. Some were weird with little metal spike things outlining the lapels and such, but some were normal(ish). I plan on grabbing a few when I go back. It's only 15 minutes away.

Any knowledge if this is confined to your local store or is more widespread? Trying to decide if it's worth the 1.5 hr drive to my nearest last call.

I would assume it's only local. The mall is a outlet mall, basically. Sears Outlet, Saks Outlet, etc. Every big store there is an outlet. But I really have no idea on how confined the sales might be. It seems like their clearance rack is always 40% off, and the racks were extremely full at my NMLC

It's also worth noting these were marked down a few times. You can see 4 different tags on them each with the same "compare to" price but with a new lowered price and a red dot meaning 40% off.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads