• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've been picking up some cool street wear... need pics soon...

I'm moving into a new place with a bigger walk in closet, so I haven't had time...
shog[1].gif

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also once thrifted a paisley RLPL tie, and it's still the nicest tie I've ever handled.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think of this jacket I thrifted, just a harry rosen (orphaned?) SC.
Any feedback on the fit, its actually brown with a blue pinstripe every inch or so.

Would this be wedding appropriate, with a better pant choice.

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think of this jacket I thrifted, just a harry rosen (orphaned?) SC.
Any feedback on the fit, its actually brown with a blue pinstripe every inch or so.

Last edited:

woodchuck312

Reaction score
Had a bit of a hiatus from thrifting due to a job promotion that had long hours of training for 6 months but i'm back in the game now and trying to clear out inventory. Just put up 200 auctions. Haven't even gotten to my suits and sport coats yet, have about 100 of them to go through.

Been finding some great stuff lately, AE and Alden shoes everywhere I look. Figure i only have 1500 or so pages of this thread to catch up on lol.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple weekends ago I picked up a NWT unstructured Zegna houndstooth blazer from NMLC for $170 including tax.

I'm praying that this flu leaves me by tomorrow morning so I can head out. I've been puking and ******** ****** off. It's hideous.

JabbaTheSlut

Reaction score

I think this Dunhill rain jacket/windbreaker is an exception to the no polyester rule.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's be clear. There is no "no polyester" rule for own fits. Fit trumps material. What you like trumps styleforum ethos.
It's mainly a flippers problem, and that is only for ties and suits. I bet any flipper worth his salt here would jump on a variety of polyester stuff, Arcteryx fleece anybody?

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's be clear. There is no "no polyester" rule for own fits. Fit trumps material. What you like trumps styleforum ethos. It's mainly a flippers problem, and that is only for ties and suits. I bet any flipper worth his salt here would jump on a variety of polyester stuff, Arcteryx fleece anybody?

Amen!

Vintage 60/40 Gerry down parka from the 1970s? Yes!

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shout out to all the dudes Im in the proccess of doing deals with or already completed. silverware, ray, stevenk, also michigan trad who sent me and a local friend/forum lurker a bunch of his old pocket squares

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's be clear. There is no "no polyester" rule for own fits. Fit trumps material. What you like trumps styleforum ethos.
It's mainly a flippers problem, and that is only for ties and suits. I bet any flipper worth his salt here would jump on a variety of polyester stuff, Arcteryx fleece anybody?

I'll go one step further. For your own use, who gives a rat's ass if a tie is made of polyester or silk if you like the design?

Are other people constantly walking up to you and fondling your tie? Maybe if you're Barney Stinson...

And amen to the comment about polyester in general, I'm wearing a polyester fleece jacket by Patagonia right now.

JabbaTheSlut

Reaction score
Personally I pass on 99.9% of polyester anything because I hate how it feels on my skin and even outer layers make me feel trapped inside of it.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For individual donations to hurricane relief, here is the link which accept paypal. Every dollar counts.

CARE
https://my.care.org/site/Donation2?...940&15940.donation=form1&15940_donation=form1

AMERICARES

https://secure.americares.org/site/Donation2?df_id=14040&14040.donation=form1
Don't forget DOCTORS WITHOUT BOARDERS.

https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/donate/?

Sounds good. Quick question, if my neck is around 15.65, should I go for the 15.5 or a 16? Also, for trouser purposes, if they don't have labels or measurements in the suit, does that mean it belongs to a bespoke suit(2pc), how can I identify without the labels. Thanks

You should go for 16 just to give you some breathing room. You can always tailor the waist down. Yes to your second question and regarding no labels, you could try posting them in the ID the makers' thread.

That's usually a good indication of orphaness.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm more impressed or disgusted at how this seller sent my shoes...

All I know is if they were anything more than the Tyrwhitt Loakes I got for $17, I'd opt for the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads