• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings, gentlemen!
This is my first time posting on this thread. I've been lurking for about a month now, and would have posted sooner but I made myself wait until I had something worth posting. Yesterday, I came away with the biggest haul in my thrifting career (about a year and a half now, still relatively a noob haha). So, without further adieu, my finds from yesterday (sorry for iPhone pics).

Shoes:
Banana Republic. Not the nicest shoes ever, but they fill a hole in my wardrobe and were $3!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My first ever pair of Allen Edmonds! Georgetown model, they also fit and fill a hole.

Ties:
J Press, PRL, Michael Kors. Nothing to write home about, but not too shabby. Would have been kinda disappointed if this was all I found tie-wise, buut.....

I walked into the next store and found eight BNWOT Brionis.

So yeah. That was exciting haha.

Shirts:
Neither of these are great, (Geoffrey Beane, I know, I know, but I need a shirt like that I can wear into the ground. The Nautica is french cuffed, for my dad)

Faconnable x3

Trousers:
x2 pairs of Express chinos and some sweet flannel NWT Banana Republic, again to wear into the ground.

Jackets:
3-roll-2, brown herringbone with a faint check pattern, fully canvassed.

Anybody ever heard of this brand?

Sorry for the sideways pics. I see that Jeffrey Banks is a brand that sells crap suits on Overstock these days, but this thing is fully canvassed, quite a bit of handwork. Made in the USA, with the old union sticker. Interesting.
Vintage H. Freeman and Sons MTM (back when they were in Philly), 3-roll-2, fully canvassed and half lined! Feels so nice! Needs a little bit of tailoring but it was $2.50
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. Medium brown check.

My first Hickey Freeman. Fully canvassed, pretty old but classic.

100% Silk Burberry, old label. Half canvassed.

This one threw me. I wasn't expecting it. Black (ew), made in Italy, three button, ticket pocket, roped shoulders, loads of handwork, full canvass.

And...

Yes. Gucci by way of Zegna. It's an orphan, I'm going back to look for the pants a few more times. It fits me, but I'm hesitant about keeping because I dont like black suits... Still. I'm pretty excited.

Another first for me.

I can't find the trousers to this one either!
baldy[1].gif
Gonna keep looking. It's gorgeous though.

Suits:
Southwick for Nordstroms, 2 button, fully canvassed but not much handwork (I don't know what I was expecting, really).

Not too shabby.

And finally. The last suit I touched yesterday. I wasn't expecting anything else. Wool and Cashmere PoW, 3 button. As soon as I touched it I knew it was nice...

But I wasn't expecting to see this!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Pretty stoked.
Sorry for the long post, but I didn't think you gents would mind haha. Cheers!
That's an awesome first haul especially with all those Brioni ties!!! Good stuff!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed! I love seeing vacation pics, especially when there is clothing involved. :satisfied:

Mrs. Pnut and I are headed to Washington for vacation in September and will be staying in Port Townsend and traveling through the Cascades. Can't wait.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Three trips to the local Goodwill Stores.  

I am addicted now.  The beast has been unleashed.

I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but if you are buying with the intent of flipping, I think that you might be disappointed. I say this as someone who is in the midst of closet culling and re-donating a TON of stuff that I should never have bought. None of it is bad, it's just not sellable on the secondary market, and it sucks to realize that every sport coat and shirt that went unsold was a $3 or $4 bill gone to waste. Pride of England ties, for example. I like them and have a few myself, but they have zero resale value. Most stuff from Nordstrom has zero value on the secondary market. Same with HSM. Even if it's Brioni and made for a midget (or a giant), same deal. Again, if it fits and it's for you, different story, but the hardest part of all this is to be picky, and even the pickiest folks get stuck re-donating stuff.

Every town is different, but I find that if I'm batting the Mendoza line, I'm doing well. Most often, I return from thrifts empty handed, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Aidan K

Reaction score
Pseudo thrift fit/fit question: does this blazer fit well enough in the shoulders to have tailoring work done to the sleeves/waist?

Valentino dark navy cashmere blazer/BB shirt

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Got a pair of Quoddy boat shoes. Wish they fit me. They are vintage and exquisitely made.

Do they still do this tag?

Vibram sole

Extra row of stitching on the toe. I don't think they do that any more.

Cool logo

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Hit some places up on the way to a friend's place wayyyy out past the city. A few alright finds:

AE Woodstock (10D)

Bruno Magli Captoes (11M) and the shoe trees in them

Ferragamo Loafers (10D)

and my first (hopefully real) Hermes. checks out from what I can tell...

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely shop retail but when I do this is the kind of deal I go for.
They're pale pink Ian Poulter branded golf pants in some sort of tech fabric. Perfect for summer.

I love that "real men" are afraid of pink.

nerdoldnerdith

Reaction score
Size 9M Bruno Magli tassel loafers in black. They're not in my size, so I'll prolly just flip them on Fleabay. They show a bit of wear, but I think if I clean them up, I can get $50 or so for them. If anyone here is interested, PM me up.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Managed to hit a few stores in the last day or two. Left behind some (dated) striped Brioni orphan jackets at $25. Felt good. Same shop had shirts by Jil,Dries, and I forget who else for $25 each as well. Dated and worn, nuts to them.

Then I hit up a GW and grabbed (not available unless you have... cookie dough? jk)

(Sorta pricey for thrift prices, but they're NIB, bite me).

Last stop netted me this black single button peak lapel (guessing it's an orphan)

Hidden working cuffs, at first I thought the jacket was unfinished.

O Hai!

The sleeves seem really long (they're even with the body) but I figured it might be worth the grab anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads