• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Reaction score
im going to take a guess he wanted you to "Spoiler" or hide the pictures you were quoting for the "Nice Haul".
Ahh.. Ok... I'll have to figure out how to do that. My other posts that contain "spoilers" were edited by the mod before approving the post. Thanks.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah it wasn't just you, I just felt like I had scrolled past concealed's photos 4 or 5 times and it finally got to me.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who normally browses on a smartphone. It's also really obnoxious to scroll through a hundred spoilers.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saw my first Golden Fleece out there, but it was an odd, heavy wool, ancient suit (2 buttons on the sleeve). Just left it, along with a Pal Zileri I toyed with buying but there was a big mothhole. Been a while since anything interesting.

Trying real hard not to be real angry. If that GF is what it sounds like, you should go back. A vintage BB GF suit, and this sounds like a 3/2, is a thing of rare beauty. If it is my size, I will either buy it from you or swap cool stuff .

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying real hard not to be real angry. If that GF is what it sounds like, you should go back. A vintage BB GF suit, and this sounds like a 3/2, is a thing of rare beauty. If it is my size, I will either buy it from you or swap cool stuff .

Really? I've all but stopped picking up vintage Golden Fleece. I might be swayed to grab it if it's stone mint, in a popular size and in a solid staple color or loud FU pattern (glen plaid, bold windowpane, etc). I used to pick them up all the time and even staples I hard a hard time giving away. Don't think I ever broke the $40-$50 mark and at the local thrift prices ($20/suit) it's just not worth it. Recent Golden Fleece is another story.

Last edited:

LeSacre

Reaction score
Wow, we've had some great hauls lately.

I didn't have the same luck. Just a few things for myself.

BB flat front chinos, Vineyard Vines Cords, Eton (17.5 - Available) and a VV tie.

Also found a SC from a company I had never heard of. Fit well and had cool buttons, so I decided to kop.

Plus it's cashmere!

My research just tells me that Promenade was a store in NYC that opened '58. But that's all I could find.

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
Really? I've all but stopped picking up vintage Golden Fleece. I might be swayed to grab it if it's stone mint, in a popular size and in a solid staple color or loud FU pattern (glen plaid, bold windowpane, etc). I used to pick them up all the time and even staples I hard a hard time giving away. Don't think I ever broke the $40-$50 mark and at the local thrift prices ($20/suit) it's just not worth it. Recent Golden Fleece is another story.

I came across a Golden Fleece(im thinking older) orphan today, scoured the pants rack, but came up with nothing and am now realizing that I never looked through the womens pants....
baldy[1].gif

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
then why am I consigning you my 3 piece deadstock golden fleece in windowpane
puzzled.gif

I thought I was sending a bunch of stuff in consignment with you, didn't you message me about that or was that brianpore?
I am confused

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh.. Ok... I'll have to figure out how to do that. My other posts that contain "spoilers" were edited by the mod before approving the post. Thanks.

Simple, highlight everything you want to spoiler and use the dialog box next to the " that's next to the
smile.gif

It might not work when you do that at times. I had to post everything then edit to spoiler them. Windows 8 sucks!

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

then why am I consigning you my 3 piece deadstock golden fleece in windowpane
puzzled.gif

I thought I was sending a bunch of stuff in consignment with you, didn't you message me about that or was that brianpore?
I am confused

I usually pass over the old BBGF as well. I even pass on the older "346" stuff. I have never been able to move it. I think 3 piece dead-stock may be an exception. I have never had any trouble moving anything 3 piece, vintage, and cool.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had an insane day thrifting!!!! Good to be back in the game!!!!

Pop quiz - this will be a stretch, but its all I have to go off of.

Anyone recognize this shoe logo? I only can see a couple parts. It is drawn pretty close to scale as far as proximity of text and graphic and is in the correct shape.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My bad, then. Still, I am a huge fan of 3/2 BBGF suits. Every bit the equal of Pressidential in my book.

I usually pass over the old BBGF as well. I even pass on the older "346" stuff. I have never been able to move it. I think 3 piece dead-stock may be an exception. I have never had any trouble moving anything 3 piece, vintage, and cool.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: I've had good luck with my VTG BBGF so send them over. Not going to make $100's but I'd never sold one for less then $100
cheers.gif

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Gray Plaid w/ Overcheck Mens Flat Front Suit 44R - Sold $145

Last edited:

LeSacre

Reaction score
Had an insane day thrifting!!!! Good to be back in the game!!!!

Pop quiz - this will be a stretch, but its all I have to go off of.

Anyone recognize this shoe logo? I only can see a couple parts. It is drawn pretty close to scale as far as proximity of text and graphic and is in the correct shape.

lurker[1].gif

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with my VTG BBGF so send them over. Not going to make $100's but I'd never sold one for less then $100
cheers.gif

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Gray Plaid w/ Overcheck Mens Flat Front Suit 44R - Sold $145
no my question was who messaged me about wanting to consign. I am pretty sure it was either you or nataku, I think it is you though. I think I almost just sent like thousands of dollars worth of things to consign to nat on accident.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

had the day off
Left column: 7 pairs of unicorn zanellas Right: Zegna by Incotex, Zegna by incotex, really nice hiltl, samuelsohn Jil Sander waxed cotton trench coat with a removable wool liner, any idea on the vintage? Very small Loro Piana Defender jacket Outdoorsy stuff - sup Fueco - Clockwise from top right: Mountain Hardware Vest, Mountain Hardware Vest, Patagonia Baggies, Patagonia Capilene Fleece Crewneck, Smartwool full zip, Smartwool crewneck Some more pants: Luciano B, Loro Piana, Ravazzolo, theres a pair of Vestimenta not pictured
So were you the mofo that cleared everything out ahead of me? Bastard. (Srsly tho, my size? wanty!) Notwithstanding, still had a pretty good day (see below.), though I'm still :lurk: Capn'
I've had good luck with my VTG BBGF so send them over. Not going to make $100's but I'd never sold one for less then $100:cheers: Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Gray Plaid w/ Overcheck Mens Flat Front Suit 44R - Sold $145
I've had mixed luck. Mostly better luck in the staple colors. I've been sitting on a brown glenplaid BBGF that's so incredibly awesome for months now. So on a day I used to fast, I broke my thrifting fast. Wasn't as epic as I'd hoped, and I spent way more than I probably should have, but I did find a few nice pieces. First let me rant at how out of control the GW pricing is getting. There's one GW where I expect it. But it's beginning to metastasize to other GWs now. One that had great stuff but at more reasonable prices has now started charging $5 for ties -- ALL ties -- and $75 for an Apton's blazer. Now, Aptons is nice stuff, and this one seemed like cashmere. But it's not exactly a household name. Much less stuff slipping through the cracks, is my point. Anyway. Here's where I started: From the other day:
Paul Stuart x 5. 39S; measuring for Barrel.
Store #1:
Corneliani silk/wool glenplaid SC, superb pattern match, dual vent, slim 42R Nordstrom 100% Loro Piana cashmere overcoat in dk gray, 39S -- awaiting Dig's response Petronus (brag-worthy?), Ben Silver
Store #2:
Burberry made in England; unknown brand wool (for me) Passed on a BB1818 beige suit because it was ABSURDLY expensive; same same with the Aptons and a coupleother nonsensically priced items
Store #3 (Why, why, WHY can't I stop shopping at this place? Prices kill me, every time)
Pal Zileri mainline. Prolly paid way too much. 42/3 Long. Wool and bamboo (DAFUG?!), single vent. Quite nice and pattern matching is superb. Zegna brown FF trou, twill weave, 36 waist EDIT: Hiding under there is a pair of Alden captoes in cordovan colored calf that I forgot to photograph. 12D, and I'ma try to make them work with some inserts. (But will probably eventually be available, dammit) Borrelli spring stripe shirt (MINE!), Jhane Barnes -- is this anything? Construction was quite good, and real MOP buttons, but made in Korea :uhoh: NWT Barbera wool, (MINE) but I might as well have bought this at NM Last call because it was THAT expensive. 7 fold Peter Millar.
And here's where I ended

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads