• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck312

Reaction score
Don;t usually post my brags on here but made a quick stop on the way home today, didn't find a whole lot except a nice wool pendleton for myself and these other two items.

Ralph Edwards USN G-1 Bomber Jacket, appears to be early 70's. In really nice shape aside from a bit of wear to one arm cuff and also the waist cuff in one area as well.

and a Vintage Churchill Hat, appears to be tweed.

csoukoulis

Reaction score

Worth grabbing ?

no.

and how in the **** do so many grown men piss their ******* pants?!?!?!! Seriouly!! LOL

mjt73106

Reaction score
Something odd happened today...I was waiting on the tram when a guy walked by wearing a jacket that I recognized from one of the thrifts. Of course, he could have purchased the same jacket when they came out, but I doubt it. It was incredibly distinct and from the early '90s for sure.

Has that happened to anyone else? Recognizing someone else's purchase from a thrift store??
A few times on this forum. . .
lol8[1].gif

FENWAY

Reaction score

Something odd happened today...I was waiting on the tram when a guy walked by wearing a jacket that I recognized from one of the thrifts. Of course, he could have purchased the same jacket when they came out, but I doubt it. It was incredibly distinct and from the early '90s for sure.

Has that happened to anyone else? Recognizing someone else's purchase from a thrift store??

Passed on a goofy pair of orthopedic Aldens this morning that was just listed on the bay. Did find my first Etro and rag & bone though

chiron

Reaction score

My question is why "Old Record Guy" cant just look behind him and buy some new clothes?

Oh record guy

Oh record guy

Why dont you retire that 70's attire?

Oh record guy

Oh record guy

I know what you wear was once "FLY" , but now it looks like you are getting ready to "Die."

Oh "Old Record Guy"

Oh "Old Record Guy"

Look at "Old Tie Guy" and at least buy a new Tie.

Oh old Record Guy...

P.S. I dont know if "Old Record Guy" has made it to Europe yet.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^+1 on Saint Andrews - nice!

Okay, so this was from my one store yesterday. Definitely quality over quantity, but I'm pretty happy with it. All about 21.5 p2p w/ 23 sleeves (
facepalm.gif
) and (other than the Belvest) unvented.

Belvest Velvet Blazer (N/A)

Brioni #1 (Available)

Brioni #2 (Available)

Kiton #1 (N/A)

Kiton #2 (N/A)

Kiton #3 (Definitely my favorite - N/A)

spam[1].gif

Unfortunately, I need to sell the Kitons in order to finance an upcoming trip, but if anyone is really interested and wants to pay slightly less than Ebay prices, I would be happy to sell here. Sorry for such blatant spamming.

OMG! Mind blown!

Worth grabbing ?

Depending on price/style, you know, the usual stuff.

How come? PTO did a number on them and Jessie seems to like them. Jessie can't be wrong, right? Right?!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there a point to me bragging after Eddie, GMMcl, etc.? Prolly not, but here goes. Sorry nothing available (most of it already sold),
but all represent the first of each brand for me Loro Piana shirt Etro wild tweed JM Weston chocolate suede pennies Borrelli
Shame. The LP and Borrelli are noice.
Something odd happened today... Has that happened to anyone else? Recognizing someone else's purchase from a thrift store??
No. the reason I'm such a terrible poker player is I forget my "read" on the player 5 minutes after I get up from the table. I suspect this is the same reason I'm terrible with names. So I can't remember things I spotted in stores after I've left.
my guess is prostate issues. old dues tend to leak.
Well, I'm not that old, but no matter how I shake and dance, that last drop always ends up in my pants. Do that 2x per wearing, 100 wearings, you're talking 200 drops of pee, and that's enough to turn even the most stalwart lining an unfortunate shade of ecru. But stained does not equal dirty. Just as dyed do not equal dirty. Dry clean them. And put them on while looking at the ceiling and thinking of England.
How come? PTO did a number on them and Jessie seems to like them. Jessie can't be wrong, right? Right?!
Flusser the man was impressive and knew his stuff. Flusser the brand, in its early days -- when he got a name drop in Wall Street -- was similarly impressive. I think a few of us have found that early stuff and liked it. The new stuff is made in China and cut like crap. 2 stops today. Some ebay currency (read: Hugo Boss) and a pass on a 100% Loro Piana cashmere John W Nordstrom SC because it was Made in China. I also picked up a really cool Daks solid navy wool tie for a couple of Washingtons -- the jingly kind. Stunning condition, too. Keeping.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 stops today. Some ebay currency (read: Hugo Boss) and a pass on a 100% Loro Piana cashmere John W Nordstrom SC because it was Made in China. I also picked up a really cool Daks solid navy wool tie for a couple of Washingtons -- the jingly kind. Stunning condition, too. Keeping.

I'm assuming you got suits, no? I'm having a hell of a time ebaying my HB pants.
ffffuuuu.gif

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Left behind three pieces of recent-ish J Crew outwear (military peacoat-style) for $25, all sized large. If any LA regulars are interested I can let you know where.

I did pick up some Barbour and Filson though...

Any vests/gilets in small or xs?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Left behind three pieces of recent-ish J Crew outwear (military peacoat-style) for $25, all sized large. If any LA regulars are interested I can let you know where.

I did pick up some Barbour and Filson though...

Dibs on Large
nod[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads