• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You lowballed the seller, he accepted, then you didn't buy his jeans?
facepalm.gif

I didn't buy them because I didn't hear from him in 7 days. I think 7 days of no reply is a good indication of him not being interested in selling to me, at least. One door closes, another door opens. 7 days later, the first door opens again but I've already walked through from another door.

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score

not really a thrift or even a discount purchase but I need to expand my basic tie collection right now I have a black cotton a navy silk pin dot a couple of reps and brown navy knits these are what I am planning on getting off the the tiebar.com which I have a giftcard to, I just want some feedback on whether these are good purchases or what ones I should add? (the last one is from the knottery and is 7 fold)

Those are all very good, in my mind. I would only substitute out the POW, which isn't to say it isn't a nice tie, but that's just a personal preference (I wouldn't wear one regularly. Again, just me).

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone here got a son who wears a size 7-8 coat? Found a sweet vintage tweed winter coat on Friday, (can't seem to find the pics I took) but it's pretty awesome.

Shoes I mentioned:
deadstock AE Boulevard 14 EE. They killed two calves for these. Wes, which year mate?

I believe 1982-1987...maybe a year or two more.

I friggin' hate when they do that with the color tag. Especially in a pair of shells.

Last edited:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't buy them because I didn't hear from him in 7 days. I think 7 days of no reply is a good indication of him not being interested in selling to me, at least. One door closes, another door opens. 7 days later, the first door opens again but I've already walked through from another door.

I remember that show. It was called Let's Make A Deal. They didn't do a lot of thrifting on that show, as I recall, but there was lots of wheeling and dealing, kind of like they do over on that other thread called Buying and Selling.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found a few things Friday, but haven't gotten a chance to photo them all since we had friends staying over all weekend. Here are the ones I did...

Harris Tweed 3 Roll 2 - 44R

Hickey Freeman Old Label POW 44R

VTG HSM Top Coat, 44R

McGregor Tweed Car Coat 40R

McGregor Tweed Top Coat 42R

Windowpane Top Coat 38-40R

guyver00

Reaction score

not really a thrift or even a discount purchase but I need to expand my basic tie collection right now I have a black cotton a navy silk pin dot a couple of reps and brown navy knits these are what I am planning on getting off the the tiebar.com which I have a giftcard to, I just want some feedback on whether these are good purchases or what ones I should add? (the last one is from the knottery and is 7 fold)

Use some commas to break up your sentence, especially between your objects. And I'm confused as to whether you already owe the aforementioned ties, or are you getting those listed in your post. Kids these days :D

I think the ties in the photos are a good start. I don't see myself wearing POW that often, so I would replace it with a forest green tie, goes great with a gray suit. Didn't know The Tie Bar sells grenadine too, hmm :satisfied:

Last edited:

guyver00

Reaction score

Oh, the most shocking thing to happen today was this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boglioli-Co...jKopsr3gxwaq2MgWw9bIEgk=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I put in a bid almost a week ago and was stupefied to learn that nobody challenged me.  A super popular size on a very unique item from an in vogue house.  Boglioli is rare on eBay, let alone at a starting bid of $50.  I remember seeing some ridiculous Boglioli madras SCs a couple months ago for $145 BIN, which disappeared within hours.  Beyond stoked to rock this in 7 months..

Do you have other Boglioli jackets, and how do they fit? I have one suit from them, but I find the button stance too close to my sternum, and the jacket length is too short, and generally felt like one size down. I'm a size 40 too.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never thought about it, but I guess these could have originally been white and then turned yellow when somebody pissed all over them.

lol8[1].gif

I remember that show. It was called Let's Make A Deal. They didn't do a lot of thrifting on that show, as I recall, but there was lots of wheeling and dealing, kind of like they do over on that other thread called Buying and Selling.

Ahhh, point taken. No more suggesting deals then. Let each search for his/her own.

GoldSpider

Reaction score
New thrifter and first-time poster here, so pardon me if I don't know all of the terminology yet.

Hit the jackpot on only day 2 of thrifting for suits, jackets, and shoes. Among a few handsome items in my haul is a gorgeous Oxxford Clothes Super 100's suit in navy/black mini houndstooth for $3. No size tags, so unless I'm mistaken, it was a custom job, roughly 40R.

I thought the shoulders might have been a bit wide, the chest and waist definitely was, and the pants were quite billowy as well, but long story short, the tailor made it work! I'm hooked!

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
New thrifter and first-time poster here, so pardon me if I don't know all of the terminology yet.

Hit the jackpot on only day 2 of thrifting for suits, jackets, and shoes. Among a few handsome items in my haul is a gorgeous Oxxford Clothes Super 100's suit in navy/black mini houndstooth for $3. No size tags, so unless I'm mistaken, it was a custom job, roughly 40R.

I thought the shoulders might have been a bit wide, the chest and waist definitely was, and the pants were quite billowy as well, but long story short, the tailor made it work! I'm hooked!
Worthless without pictures
nest.gif

PS - Welcome to the forum.
1159[1].gif

Quote: Love those old shows!! NO WAMMY NO WAMMY!
lol8[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads