• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brian, if he is OK, which I am sure he is - will be out of internet comish for quite some time. Jersey is the equivalent of ground zero for this storm.
I lost power for 2.5 days, which is the equivalent of a crack addict without a fix, but I am now dosing slowly and back to ignoring my family. :lol: Aside from being stuck inside with a barking dog and a cabin fevered 3 year old and a bored wife, we lost part of our front porch, which I was never particularly fond of anyhow, a few screen windows, and my wifes car got flooded, but everyone is safe. I have about 350 emails and PMs to get back to, plus 250 belts to photograph, so time for a cuppa joe and get back to work!

good to hear brother! :slayer: sell those belts and get her a gucci fiat!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found my first Hermes, and I was wrong earlier, it's not missing one of the logos. The jacket is Maus and Hoffman. Canali is a 42R.

I went back to the NM outlet to try and score a price adjustment on the Drakes I posted a few days ago (great time to buy ties for the next week, btw). The lady was nice enough to accommodate that, and I was delighted when I ran into a small table of ties that was most definitely not there a few days ago. Sorry for the poor color in the photo, but they are purple, black/white/gray, brown and 2 (top and middle) have navy blue mixed in - with the one in the center being a silk/cashmere blend. I plan on keeping a couple, giving another as a gift, and probably selling whatever is left over:

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
I don't know Raf Simons...would you mind filling me in on the name? Where it's made, by whom, year founded, anything at all would help!

Raf Simons is an eponymous brand founded in the mid 90s. He's a Belgian designer known for his twists on classic menswear in monotone color palates. He was formerly the creative director of Jil Sander and is now the current Christian Dior creative director. Pretty incredible to find one of his early aughts pieces in such good shape. A grail in that size, no doubt.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MY POWER JUST CAME BACK!!! *whew*
Someone have cliffnotes?

Effer. Mine will be out for days. But I am cheating: I am at my mother in law's. Cozy and wired.
However, I do have an ebay pck marooned at the dry cleaners, which hasn't opened. Gonna lose that 100% rating fo sho.

Hans quote: Anyway, at least insurance will pay for a new porch that you'll enjoy more and hopefully fix/upgrade your wife's car.
Can't. Tell. If. Serious.
If yes, see New Orleans and the millions still fighting insurance claims.

I heard from Brian at 9am EST today, he sounds as good as can be expected :)

That's a relief. Look forward to his perennial lurk asap.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Effer. Mine will be out for days. But I am cheating: I am at my mother in law's. Cozy and wired.
However, I do have an ebay pck marooned at the dry cleaners, which hasn't opened. Gonna lose that 100% rating fo sho.

Message the buyer, let them know. I've had a seller do something similar to me before, and I was perfectly okay with the delay once they explained it. However, I had to message them and then wait a couple days for a response to get that information, which I was NOT okay with.

If you're proactive about it, you get bonus points for communication and sympathy for the hurricane damage. If you sit back with no explanation, you'll take a hit.

CesarC

Reaction score
Glad to hear some of the other northeastern folks are safe. The eye of the storm passed almost directly over me, but I survived without incident, even though others in my state and some friends in nearby NJ had some serious issues. I went out thrifting today to console myself (and to see what last-minute Halloweeners were trying to scrape up) and found something extremely holiday-tastic for my Secret Santa victim, but I was on my way home with too much satisfaction and my car broke down
ffffuuuu.gif
. Stuck in first gear with my blinkers on, but some asshole in a huge pickup behind me almost shoved me off the road. Win some, lose some.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Raf Simons is an eponymous brand founded in the mid 90s.  He's a Belgian designer known for his twists on classic menswear in monotone color palates.  He was formerly the creative director of Jil Sander and is now the current Christian Dior creative director.  Pretty incredible to find one of his early aughts pieces in such good shape.  A grail in that size, no doubt.

Thank you! I wasn't sure what the significance was and was too lazy to google it. I got that it was an impact on the thread, though :)

Hans quote: Anyway, at least insurance will pay for a new porch that you'll enjoy more and hopefully fix/upgrade your wife's car.
Can't. Tell. If. Serious.
If yes, see New Orleans and the millions still fighting insurance claims.

I've never had to claim on a natural disaster, only cars and a small mold problem in my apartment. I don't doubt that it's a pain ********** and a fight the entire way through, I just assumed insurance would cover such an event. I will inherit land and a house in the US some day, so it's good to know that it will be an uphill battle when I need to claim something :)

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Message the buyer, let them know. I've had a seller do something similar to me before, and I was perfectly okay with the delay once they explained it. However, I had to message them and then wait a couple days for a response to get that information, which I was NOT okay with.
If you're proactive about it, you get bonus points for communication and sympathy for the hurricane damage. If you sit back with no explanation, you'll take a hit.

Good advice. Message sent early this morning, once I knew I wasn't going to be able to get the item out of lockdown. ***** of it is: I thought to print the label before the power went out. I just don't have the actual item because the dry cleaner is closed and can't get in to open.

But this isn't the ebay thread. On to your awesome finds, and enough of my bellyaching.

dubcbadass

Reaction score

Looks good (that is a red beard!), but I'd swap the black shoes for something brown. Tie/shirt combo looks great, but I'd let the sleeves down on that odd jacket. Looks good overall!

Thanks.

If I wore my brown shoes (I never owned black shoes before this, just brown), it wouldn't be a thrift fit since I bought most of my stuff at cheezy retail before I discovered the world of "pre-owned."

The jacket hasn't been to the tailor. I will take it when some of my other stuff is ready for pick up.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks.
If I wore my brown shoes (I never owned black shoes before this, just brown), it wouldn't be a thrift fit since I bought most of my stuff at cheezy retail before I discovered the world of "pre-owned."
The jacket hasn't been to the tailor. I will take it when some of my other stuff is ready for pick up.

Discount is perfectly fine for this thread. Everyone's wardrobe is in some sort of progress (aside from Vox). I always have things coming and going from my tailor, it's a continual process. I've found for some, black is a must. For others, it complements their outfit. I find that I could only throw together a few black/grey outfits, and I'm fine with that. When you get it to the tailor, make note of the sleeves and let him/her do their work.

Nice job for a first fit pic!

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a question (that I could begin an entire thread on, but I won't): what are some ideas for a formal overcoat? Black is a natural choice, but I found something in navy cashmere with a fox fur collar. I know it's over the top, but could I mix black tie and a dark navy?? I don't think so, but I'd like confirmation :)

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's a question (that I could begin an entire thread on, but I won't): what are some ideas for a formal overcoat? Black is a natural choice, but I found something in navy cashmere with a fox fur collar. I know it's over the top, but could I mix black tie and a dark navy?? I don't think so, but I'd like confirmation
smile.gif
Nah not over the tip IMO....but probably wouldn't work for black tie.

This would be over the top...

$(KGrHqFHJE4FB4BQJn)(BQf2BRduWg~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

CesarC

Reaction score
Here's a question (that I could begin an entire thread on, but I won't): what are some ideas for a formal overcoat? Black is a natural choice, but I found something in navy cashmere with a fox fur collar. I know it's over the top, but could I mix black tie and a dark navy?? I don't think so, but I'd like confirmation
smile.gif

Nice! I would say no, unless your tux is midnight blue, in which case, maybe. A little over the top, maybe, but in a tasteful way if accessories are similarly bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads